Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,786 times

Advertisements

If you think that a bunch of cops sitting on 40, hiding behind a tailgate, pulling people over for going 74mph has anything to do with "keeping us safe" vs revenue generation....well, ok then. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't have an issue with them personally, I have an issue with their assignment. I don't see how the 2 are connected in any way, the fact you assume as much is exactly why I'd prefer to avoid the conversation altogether. Just stay out of the left lane please, and obey the law.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,875,550 times
Understood, thanks.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 PM

114 posts, read 327,102 times
Use the Waze GPS App on your Smartphone as a GPS and you will know where all the Speedtraps and Police are on the roads ahead of time. It has informed me many times of upcoming Speedtraps on Interstate 40, provided me alternative routes around traffic jams, and given me insight to be a better driver. It is a great Social GPS that provides valuable road information and the more people that use it the more valuable it becomes for everyone. Some people might feel it is cheating the system, but information can help us all become better drivers when used properly and often times we are not given this information because it it difficult to obtain.

It is not that popular in the Triangle Region yet, but in other parts of the country and overseas it is very popular. Make sure to mount it as a GPS and only use it as a GPS. Google just bought Waze for over a Billion Dollars. Hope to see more Wazers out on the Triangle Roads.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Did you have to get a lawyer? When my wife was ticketed for doing 63 in a 55 near Sanford, she was told by the court she NEEDED a lawyer to plead. If she wanted to pay the fine, great, otherwise call a lawyer.

It was reduced to faulty equipment and a $80 fine. The remaining $220 paid the lawyer cost...the speeding fine was $250 and included 2 points. So the costs just eliminated the points.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,776,356 times
Come on people, we can all finger point and judge and say how great the police are for nabbing them speeders. But we've all witnessed it time and time again. Several cars racing at 100mph plus weaving in and out of traffic on the freeway and they go untouched........then we see police sit along hwy55 a wide open road, with a posted speed limit clearly under what it should, they line up and down that section every day and pass out dozens of tickets an hour to people honestly who are driving safe who go a few miles over, in an under rated zone with wide open lanes. Why are all the police there and not out in other places catching real dangerous speeders? Cause they can write tickets there all night as fast as they can process them and it's easy money and they make their quota in a few hours time. That's why!

And for those who will judge me for this post.....been drving for 33 years, moving violations???????? ZERO

But I see poor hard working people get raped every day by good ole "save the world" Johnny law, while punks and thugs go right on by free as a bird.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM

527 posts, read 687,220 times
Raped? Yikes, can we not use that word?

I think the vast majority of police officer are truly trying to keep us safe and uphold the law. I've had dealings with a few jerk cops, but the majority of my interactions have been positive ones. They have a job to do just like the rest of us, let's not bash.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,820,276 times
can't we all just get along?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,947,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. I know this a labored topic but I really wanted to get the current trend in the Durham area, everything else I'm pretty familiar with.

I don't think that the reporting officer was being particularly kind to MY wife. It's probably a strategy to get a large volume of people to plead guilty/just pay the ticket, rather than contest it . If they netted 100 speeders, they are not going to want to tie the courts or officers up going to trial, so why not give the offender an easy way out.

Personally Ive suggested to my wife that she hire a lawyer who will, more or less, guarantee a non-moving violation or dismissal, pay the bill an move on.
The cop was being kind to your wife. She wouldn't have been pulled had she only been going 9 over. I'm an atty that operates in Durham county and they do offer IE's there in some situations. If your wife has a clean record for the past 3 years she should be able to get one. You have a few options:-just take the 9 over and pay the fine. No increase in insurance but you will get pts on license.-Get a pjc. No pts. 10 dollar fee.-lawyer up and get an IE. Will probably cost you 100 more than just paying the fine. If you'd like a recommendation for an atty you can PM me...although I'm pretty sure you've already received a ton of solicitations.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,919 times
You're not allowed to speed around here. Doing so could make it harder for the cops to pass you going 20mph over the speed limit when they are in their squad cars on personal business like dunkin donuts runs.

They played this footage again last night on 20/20:

Police Caught in the Act | Video - ABC News

Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I was going to reply with a snarky question on just how a speeder could be a victim of a "sting", but to my surprise, that definition fits!

A cop looking like a break-down (I assume in an unmarked), seems to be equivalent to one doing the old classic hiding behind a billboard.
However, after a bunch of Googling, I can't find any information on where this is against any laws. I found a jurisdiction in GA that has a local law preventing "hidden" cars, (because it was assumed that suddenly seeing one could be an unsafe distraction). I didn't even find that in the NC code.
Anyone know any different for NC?
Must have been due to too many car chases where Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrain and Enos tried to catch up to the Duke boys after a hidden speed trap.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary