Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The cop was being kind to your wife. She wouldn't have been pulled had she only been going 9 over. I'm an atty that operates in Durham county and they do offer IE's there in some situations. If your wife has a clean record for the past 3 years she should be able to get one. You have a few options:-just take the 9 over and pay the fine. No increase in insurance but you will get pts on license.-Get a pjc. No pts. 10 dollar fee.-lawyer up and get an IE. Will probably cost you 100 more than just paying the fine. If you'd like a recommendation for an atty you can PM me...although I'm pretty sure you've already received a ton of solicitations.
Glad to hear facts brought to a discussion vs myths and assumptions (no such thing as IE, doesnt exist in durham, etc).

Finally to the OP - the consensus from folks who have actually lived through similar scenarios many, many times vs those who have a political opinion on the topic, or just think they know it all, says to get a lawyer and let them handle it. The above is spot on. Trust us, if your aim is to avoid points and make it all go away, get a lawyer and let them handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 AM

37 posts, read 75,091 times
Nice racket the attorneys, courts, town, counties have going on.

They get a nice payday for "keeping us safe" and helping us drivers out with the courts, which will have mercy upon us

the only person that loses anything monetarily is the vile criminal who dared drive 9 miles or more over the posted speed limit

but those criminals will have hopefully learned an important life lesson for a nominal price

Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 AM

25 posts, read 19,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
They played this footage again last night on 20/20:

Police Caught in the Act | Video - ABC News
Interesing link. ABC's 20/20 set up on I-40 in Raleigh to watch speeding cops, including a chase car, people stationed on overpasses with stopwatches to calculate speeds and a helicopter for when they couldn't keep up with the cops on the ground. Then they followed them to their non-emergency destinations (yes, one was a donut shop) and confronted them. Something a news organization can get away with, but I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue1 View Post
Nice racket the attorneys, courts, town, counties have going on.

They get a nice payday for "keeping us safe" and helping us drivers out with the courts, which will have mercy upon us

the only person that loses anything monetarily is the vile criminal who dared drive 9 miles or more over the posted speed limit

but those criminals will have hopefully learned an important life lesson for a nominal price
Reality. It's still, and always will be, pay to play.

As corrupt as it is, at least the rules are clear. Hence OP, get a lawyer

Old 02-16-2014, 10:15 AM

263 posts, read 572,611 times
@rory breaker: You sure are posting in this thread a lot for someone that stated 3 times you'd "rather not get into this discussion", "already posted too much on this thread", etc... Now that a Durham lawyer has agreed there's no way she was stopped for driving 9 over (that was merely what she was cited for), do you still think it's thieving and disgusting? Or do you think no speed limits should be enforced?

Old 02-16-2014, 12:18 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
First, Wake county did away with the "improper equipment" so that's a no-go.

Second, 66 in a 65 is breaking the law. Do I agree with it? No, but it is still breaking the law. Period.
Doing 66 in a 65 is not breaking the law. However you are breaking code under admiralty maritime jurisdiction. America has not gone by laws since 1868. This land is nothing more than part of a criminal global conglomerate... Remember that! Cops are enforcer's of code.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
@rory breaker: You sure are posting in this thread a lot for someone that stated 3 times you'd "rather not get into this discussion", "already posted too much on this thread", etc... Now that a Durham lawyer has agreed there's no way she was stopped for driving 9 over (that was merely what she was cited for), do you still think it's thieving and disgusting? Or do you think no speed limits should be enforced?
I continue to post to help the OP distinguish the right advice from the hot air.

As I mentioned (and you so conveniently repeated for me), someone else will have to be your huckleberry for your requested e-argument. sorry, not interested in your questions, only in ensuring the OP (and anyone else reading in the future) has the right information.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:10 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
What a great idea -- enhance revenue by fining more speeders. Just as the lottery is essentially a tax on ignorance, fining speeders is a tax on overconfident stupidity. Bring it on!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
You're not allowed to speed around here. Doing so could make it harder for the cops to pass you going 20mph over the speed limit when they are in their squad cars on personal business like dunkin donuts runs.

They played this footage again last night on 20/20:

Police Caught in the Act | Video - ABC News

Whats upsetting is that many people if they get a speeding conviction would lose their jobs. Cops just circle the wagons. I will say I do see a lot of police doing the right thing on the roads.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Something a news organization can get away with, but I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself.
If for no other reason the helicopter fuel expense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary