Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM

80 posts, read 177,387 times

Advertisements

Hey all, has anyone had their home air sealed by a company that they'd use again/recommend?

I just want to find someone to air seal our home that'd be open to using non toxic products like low VOC caulking, etc. Don't want our baby inhaling the offgassing.

We aren't DIY sorts. No time or know-how. Please help!

Heeellllllpppppp. :-)

Thanks,
Sarah

ps. In exchange for your helpful recommendations, I shall regale you with tales of fearsome dragons and brave knights and kosher hot dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
In order to make your home truly "green", much of the required building envelope sealing measures must be done during construction of the home and can not be added later. There are certified "green" homes for sale in the triangle but being green does add to the overall cost value of the home, some of which can be recovered over time in energy savings and/or energy rebates.

On an existing home, you can have an energy audit done including a blower door and smoke test which will show you air infiltration leakage areas within the building envelope of the home including around doors, windows, electrical outlets, fireplaces, etc as well as HVAC duct leakage.

These identified leakage areas can then be appropriately addressed or sealed with various different measures to improve the blower door results, however the home will never be at the same level of green as one constructed from the ground up as a green certified home.

So in answer to your question, there's much more work involved than just sealing with caulk if you want to do it right by knowing and identifying where the problem areas are specific to your home through testing because anything else is just a shot in the dark at best and a potential waste of money.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 AM

150 posts, read 233,638 times
I had Marc and the team at Sundogs Solutions do an energy audit, extra insulation in the attic, and I got a full written report on what steps to take next. The report included estimates for subsequent work.

The team that worked here was on site for about five hours, doing sealing under the house and around pipes, in the house doing windows and doors, and even putting insulation layers in all the electrical outlets. With a 100+ year old house and *no* insulation in the walls, that helped a lot.

I would absolutely call them again when I'm ready for my next steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary