Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM

124 posts, read 187,758 times

Advertisements

Thank you, no kudzu! Renting a room in a house would definitely be different for me, but I am used to old houses divided up into individual apartments. That's great to hear about the diversity! How interesting, and great for kids to grow up around lots of different people!

It's about a 10 hour trip from where we are, so jetting back and forth isn't easy. That's why I'm trying to come up with the best window to come up to look at as many places as possible at once and put down the deposit.

And wow, free public transportation is very nice.

Thanks again for the great info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM

Any opinions on Pittsboro?

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM

698 posts, read 961,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Be open to apartment rentals in homes.
Westwood neighborhood has some very large homes where the owners have apartments they rent. In a univeristy town like ours you will find this is not at all uncommon.
What's the best way to find these rental listings? Craigslist tends to be a sea of apartment complexes posting their listings repeatedly with different subject lines.

When's the best time to look for Sept/October rentals?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
I would start by calling management companies but frankly people with apartments in their homes( garages) probably don't use management companies for only 1 apartment. I just know in these older neighborhoods like Westwood i have seen Apt For Rent signs with phone number. Haven't been that way for awhile but if you are close by it would be worth a ride there. Also try Joel Duvall at A to Z Rental in Chapel Hill. If he doesn't have anything he can at least direct you to the best sources.

Some apartment owners/ managers will be getting vacancy notices for end of August in June or even May. Students pretty much know very early when they will be leaving/graduating. The rental market here is not like a non university town. For example we have 9 month leases much more than the typical 12 month lease.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
I know when my neighbor was renting out her basement apartment she did use Craigslist. You might also just google "chapel hill rentals". I think there are some sites that will pop up. Not sure I'm allowed to link to them here.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
Pittsboro is a very cute small town right now. There is a massive development on the horizon, though, called Chatham Park. If that gets built (and it looks likely) it will mean very big changes.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,840,551 times
If you've been "obsessively looking at stats online", you must have surely already come across City-Data's page on Carrboro--which has answers to some of the questions you ask?

Have you visited the area yet? One should never move somewhere "sight unseen".

That said, Carrboro is cool--IF you come and check it out and agree that it's a fit for YOU.
AND have employment lined up before moving.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 PM

Oh course I have Francois!

And ok, no kudzu...I thought you meant literally renting a room in their house. A garage, guest house, or carriage house would be great!! I'll check out the Westwood area.

I hear Pittsboro is a little more affordable too, so that is a possible option. Is it a safe area too?

And I found the same thing VTGal...I want to avoid a complex if at all possible!! It's tough when you're not up there to snag the other places and drive around to look though!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM

20 posts, read 33,825 times
They have some cool hula hoopers in Carrborro as well. I think these folks basically started the renewed hula hooping craze in the country right now. I hoop a little here and there when I can and love to meet hoopers. You just caused me to consider Carrborro now as well. I had wondered about it a long time ago when these folks would come out to Colorado to teach a workshop now and again. I always figured that Carrborro must have something about it if they were there and stay there as a home base.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:02 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
I hear Pittsboro is a little more affordable too, so that is a possible option. Is it a safe area too?
Pittsboro is safe, but it is a lot less interesting. Carrboro is what you really want in a town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary