Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Is that what they are building over there? It's not already existing there, right?

Even if they lived in Raleigh her husband would still have an easy commute over there.

Well, that's true. But living in Weston Estates, for example, would mean he could drive an electric car and never use an ounce of gas.

Also, could come home for lunch and not miss a beat.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM

21 posts, read 36,231 times
Quote:
Long Island is one of the most segregated places in the country, in fact I believe that there was just an article in Newsday about it a week or so ago (I'm from LI, moved here almost 4 years ago). If this is the OP's only frame of reference for suburbia, it's not surprising she has this knee-jerk reaction to it when relocating.

Anywhere you live here, even Cary, will be a damn sight more diverse than where you live on Long Island, unless you are in Huntington village area.

I'm not sure what your experience is for living outside LI and NYC - if you've ever been to Albany, Raleigh reminds me of it quite a bit. It's fairly suburban except for a very small urban core, but this area isn't called the Triangle for nothing. If you don't find what you're looking for on a day off, you can always take a short hop to Durham or Chapel Hill. Travelling around here is nothing like travelling around the NYC metro area, so don't let it get you down if you're looking at a map and thinking how spread out it all seems. It will seem smaller (in a good way) once you get here.

Impossible to help realistically without a budget though. I mean if you can afford a million dollars do you want to search $200K nabes? Maybe you do but let's not waste anyone's time.

I have to do look where MetLife is building. I can't even remember.
Twingles-I grew up in the Hudson valley ny, went to school in DC area and lived in northern VA before moving to the West Village in NYC, cobble hill, Brooklyn, and then LI when pregnant bc my family lived there. I think my distaste for subdivisions stems from what I saw growing outside Tyson's/Reston in northern VA. The more ppl I talk to, the more I hear wonderful things about Raleigh.
I think I'd personally like the historic district in Raleigh like Cameron Park, but is that where I'd meet people? I'm very friendly and like to be out with my kids and am hoping to be in a social environment.
Thanks for the gym rec, too --

As for my husbands commute, anything will be a dream after the LIRR? I don't want to spoil him too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Whaaaaat are you talking about, and when and where OMG.
Well, six months closure.
Www.ncdot.gov/projects/Morrisvilleparkway/

Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Better detail from the Town:
Morrisville, NC - Official Website - Morrisville Parkway Grade Separation

Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciblueyes View Post
Twingles-I grew up in the Hudson valley ny, went to school in DC area and lived in northern VA before moving to the West Village in NYC, cobble hill, Brooklyn, and then LI when pregnant bc my family lived there. I think my distaste for subdivisions stems from what I saw growing outside Tyson's/Reston in northern VA. The more ppl I talk to, the more I hear wonderful things about Raleigh.
I think I'd personally like the historic district in Raleigh like Cameron Park, but is that where I'd meet people? I'm very friendly and like to be out with my kids and am hoping to be in a social environment.
Thanks for the gym rec, too --

As for my husbands commute, anything will be a dream after the LIRR? I don't want to spoil him too much.
I think it's easier to meet people living in a subdivision, but with little kids I'm sure you'll find your way. There are always people around with little kids, although you probably find them more in suburbia. Like I said Raleigh is more like a suburb anyway. Not all of the subdivisions around here have that "Desperate Housewives" look and feel. My advice is look for something in an area that's already established/built up. The area right around where your husband will be working, places that have already been posted, would probably work well. This is an area full of transplants so at some point, many of your neighbors will have been in your position - looking for friends.

Enjoy your trip!

And yes, anything will be better than a commute on the LIRR. Can it get any worse?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
And yes, anything will be better than a commute on the LIRR. Can it get any worse?
The LIE?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
NYC subways in the summer. Not sure what is worse the heat or the smell!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is a terrible crossing. Something needed to be done there.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I'd think downtown Raleigh to MetLife would be a dream compared to what we hear of LI commuting.

ITB/downtown has become quite the melting pot of folks moving into the area. North Hills may provide a good option as well.

There are several good, custom-built, subdivisions along Weston Parkway proper.

I am assuming with the MetLife relo, they've already assigned you a Realtor that will show you the major subdivisions you'd be interested in.

I would say the downtown Raleigh (ask to be dropped off at the PNC Plaza building) with First Friday Raleigh would be a great intro if you arrive in time tonight.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 AM

21 posts, read 36,231 times
Workingmomof2-what is address of library? Lake? Preston is large and we got as far as a golf course...
Is there a subdivision you can lead us too?
We found Wessex-very nice, wooded and close to MetLife but couldn't find the other places by Weston parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary