Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,090 times

Advertisements

I've been back and forth to North Carolina. I usually get severe hay fever every time I go. I will probably get a great job offer in Raleigh soon and wAs wondering if I'll naturally get immune from the allergies living there a while? Or there remedies? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troym View Post
I've been back and forth to North Carolina. I usually get severe hay fever every time I go. I will probably get a great job offer in Raleigh soon and wAs wondering if I'll naturally get immune from the allergies living there a while? Or there remedies? Thanks!!!

No. You will not get naturally immune.

I'm a native of the area. Pollen never bothered me until my senior year of high school. It has bothered me ever since.

You can take Allegra, Claritin, Zyrtec, that sort of thing. Or just suffer through it until the pollen settles.

That's pretty much it.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
The way my allergist explained it, the more you are exposed to an allergen, you can develop allergies that you did not have before, so people often live here 10 years then start having issues.

On the other hand, you can do way more than just what RedZin listed. There are allergy shots which have a high success rate and also medicines like Rhinocort that I take which takes me from miserable like I have a horrible cold April through the second half of May to feeling 99% like I have no allergies at all.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Nope. OTC drugs help. Some people get some diminishing of symptoms from eating local honey...but it's not a cure. Zyrtec is your friend.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,850 times
Flonase. Every morning in March/April and Sept/Oct.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 AM

76 posts, read 220,161 times
I agree with all the above

I moved here from OH 10 years ago. I had terrible allergy issues up there / pretty much my whole life.

Down here, a whole new set of fun began.

About 6 years ago I began to get allergy shots. I'd recommend them. In one arm I get it for dust mites (which I'm TERRIBLY allergic too), and in the other arm I get it for grasses and trees (specific ones that I was tested for).

I do take a shot of Flonase every morning as well. If it does get bad, I will use Allergra for a few weeks. I've had to this month as we had a long winter and the tree and grass pollen is hitting at the same time.

All of this to say / agree with the above.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,867,326 times
I think it depends. I didn't have severe allergies in Chicago. I can barely breathe in the Spring in NC. My son is the same way. We have prescription nasal spray. I take Claritin and the kids take Allegra. We've been here four years and it's getting a bit better in the sense that we were out of commission for weeks our first year or two here. I've met people that have adjusted to it and some who've been here decades and still have problems. I think it really has to do with how an individual's body responds to various allergens.

I heard from a friend that eating local honey will help the body develop immunity to some allergens. I've purchased honey from the Farmer's Market a few times but don't really notice a significant improvement in our family's reactions to allergens.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
If you have allergy issues, this is not the place to come. It is allergy central.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,616,199 times
My first real season in NC has been much better than it was in FL. I had year round allergies there. I always use Sterimar nasal spray (cant get here, hubby brings it back from UK) and right now I am using a homeopathic tree pollen remedy when I know I am going to go outside. I refuse to stay inside. I have other allergies including dust so unless I want to live in a bubble I can't avoid it. My pollen.com allergy alert app is helpful. I have found supplements with bromelain help some times too.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,684 times
Quote:
eat some local honey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary