Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 PM

288 posts, read 361,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Give me the 4 where the players were actually students. This isn't the nba.
LOL. You must not have lived here long enough to remember the magical Duke Sociology department that allowed Carlos Boozer to travel with the US National team during the summer while completing an astonishing number of independent study courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM

204 posts, read 263,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Raleigh has a good job, drives a new Camry, is polite to everyone and lives in the suburbs. Durham is a nice guy who works in a coffee shop, smokes a little weed, needs a haircut and drives Raleigh's old '98 Civic. It burns a little oil, but that's OK, because he takes his scooter or bike almost everywhere anyway. Durham shares a loft with Fort Worth, TX.
What's wrong with weed?! ;-)

Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If you plan to live in the suburbs there is almost no difference between Raleigh and Durham. The downtowns are different, but nice in their individual ways. Hard for me to explain. Being 50 and single would not make one better than the other. It will be more about your lifestyle, the types of businesses you want access to and where you work. I could easily be just as happy in Durham as Raleigh, but my job is in Raleigh so that is where I live.
I believe the OP stated they are visiting not moving. At least not yet.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM

If you're just visiting you should consider going to both as they are not very far from each other. Only about 30 mins between each. This entire area is sprawling so as you are riding and browsing along you may find yourself heading from one into the other.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Raleigh has a good job, drives a new Camry, is polite to everyone and lives in the suburbs. Durham is a nice guy who works in a coffee shop, smokes a little weed, needs a haircut and drives Raleigh's old '98 Civic. It burns a little oil, but that's OK, because he takes his scooter or bike almost everywhere anyway. Durham shares a loft with Fort Worth, TX.
Love it !!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
I am a single 50+ and this is why I decided to stay in Raleigh

Tons of great events, music, restaurants, classes, shopping, meetup groups, nature trails, arts & theater..

It's close enough to Durham, Wake Forest , Cary & Chapel Hill to enjoy things there also..

Close to the airport

Easy to hop on I40 & I95 to head in any direction..

Plenty here for friends to enjoy when they visit..

I grew up in Durham and lots of the areas I grew up around are run down & crime ridden..
People love to pretend that away but I have seen it happen and it's the facts...

Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I
I grew up in Durham and lots of the areas I grew up around are run down & crime ridden..
People love to pretend that away but I have seen it happen and it's the facts...
Please state what areas you grew up around.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I moved here thinking that I'd rather live in Durham but chose Raleigh for better schools. It sometimes seems that Durham has the more interesting cultural events and is hipper overall.

Been here 3 years, starting to think towards what to do when my kids graduate from HS and I can live where I want. I'll be 50!

And now that I'm looking around, I realize that Durham has some hip events and neighborhoods, but the pockets of poverty/crime don't really appeal. Plenty of cool neighborhoods in Raleigh to choose from.

Not that I wouldn't move to Durham. But overall, for a 50+, I'd recommend Raleigh.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
I live in Cary and go to both downtowns frequently. Both have their own uniquities, but they are not THAT different.

Both have awesome cultural events
Both have lots of great, unique restaurants
Both have good bars, and good craft beer
Both have live music
Both have museums
Both are walkable
Both are largely safe (in the DT areas)
Both cities have their burbs.

We can talk all day about Durham has this, or Raleigh has that, but both are great places. (Last week Durham had an awesome Jazz festival. Raleigh gets the Bluegrass Festival. Both get Hopscotch. In either city, you can expect the streets to be blocked off a few times a month for something fun, and different.)

Instead of arguing about which is better (or worse), why not enjoy both.

OP: They are not that different. Francois had a good response at the bottom of page 1.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM

644 posts, read 842,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Raleigh is the Capital city of North Carolina. Durham is the basketball capital of the U.S.
maybe, the Basketball capital of North Carolina. The Basketball capital of the U.S. is Storrs, Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary