Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 38,982 times

Advertisements

Thanx, that was helpful

Old 10-28-2006, 07:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I've lived in this area for over 28 years and I'm a real estate agent. I can tell you that I agree with the supply and demand theory. If we all thought Cary was so terrible, why are the prices high? Again...you can take all the opinions of people about Cary and North Raleigh and it will be 50/50 as to who thinks North Raleigh is better or who thinks Cary is better. I happen to love both. I used to live in Cary but now live in North Raleigh. As with all my clients...my opinion is this...if you can afford these two areas, you are better off as far as shopping, schools, and appreciation. And if you can afford either area, its up to you to see both and then decide for yourself which area you prefer. After all...your opinion is the only one that really matters...to you! Vicki

Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,974 times
Both areas are beautiful and have so much to offer. At first I wanted to buy in North Raleigh. But, as I wanted an older home at a low price with no HOA, Cary's more restrictive town ordinances and enforcement made it more desirable to me. They really are strict and it shows in the property values and the look of the neighborhoods. The foreclosure home I bought in Cary at 146k (worth 180k on the market once restored) had a great neighborhood and all the homes were kept up very well. A similar home I saw in North Raleigh for 150k had a neighbor that had an old VW beetle rusting in his backyard. It was also located close to some townhouses that had a very low value (70k each or so). Of course this is just one specific scenario, but I think you will find in both Cary and North Raleigh there are a handful of neighborhoods to avoid but the vast majority are excellent.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
I just read in the online Charlotte newspaper that Cary is the 8th safest city in the US?????

Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,974 times
Yup, Cary is among the safest places in the U.S.

One of the other top safest cities on the list was Mission Viejo, California.

Cary, to me, feels like an east coast version of Mission Viejo. Now if only the beach were ten minutes away and the weather were 75 all year round :-)

Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,424 times
tarp,

what is the deal with bringing the "race thing" such as white Americans are racist and dont want to live near minorities? Bush loving SUV drivers? Have to shop at a crappy Food Lion.

I think you are also missing the point some others were trying to make. Truth be told, many natives dont see Cary or any of these other towns turned metropolis over night as a reflection of NC. When a town that is 100 years old but 90% of its buildings were built in the last 5 - 10 years, do you think theres really any inkling of NC culture left?

But I think you want to live in NC, but be as far from anything remotely southern because apparently you have old southern stereotypes. Racism is everywhere, and is not confined to one race. Im white, and I was buying food at a Burger King in Charlotte a few years ago, (which all of the employees were black and most customers) and I cant tell how uncomfortable it was to constantly hear " that white boy dont belong in here " along with other statements that I would consider racist, from the employees and customers.

Finally, houses alone do not create overcrowding, but the population does. There is nonstop building of homes and strip malls, schools take years to be approved and built, roads fare far worse, so if you have a road built 30 years ago to handle 100 cars a day, and you build a 5,000 house neighborhood without any road or school improvements right next to it, then you have overcrowding. Thats exactly whats happening in NC. Fact.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 31,810 times
Would there be a problem with "yankees"?
As I am a Yankee and a transplant to NC I am not sure how to take that comment. Care to elaborate?

Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 31,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
CARY: Citizens Are Relocated Yankees
Whats wrong with a yankee?

Old 11-03-2006, 07:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galfromnj View Post

Whats wrong with a yankee?
Personally, nothing at all. BUT....when you have a town that has quickly grown (almost like a tumor on steroids, but that's another story), and it fills itself with mostly Yankees, you're creating an effect of a "fortress" of Yankees....secluding themselves from the rest of North Carolina culture. Almost like reverse ghettoization.
What's the point of moving to North Carolina if you're just gonna enclose yourself in an exclusive, elitist Yankees-preferred community??

Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
I guess North Carolina doesn't have much to offer outside that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Personally, nothing at all. BUT....when you have a town that has quickly grown (almost like a tumor on steroids, but that's another story), and it fills itself with mostly Yankees, you're creating an effect of a "fortress" of Yankees....secluding themselves from the rest of North Carolina culture. Almost like reverse ghettoization.
What's the point of moving to North Carolina if you're just gonna enclose yourself in an exclusive, elitist Yankees-preferred community??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary