Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:38 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I guess North Carolina doesn't have much to offer outside that area.

North Carolina has plenty to offer, but there are plenty of historic areas and farms/forests bulldozed over by towns to make room for a shopping center. If thats what you want...well ok. Believe me, North Carolina is just tripping over itself on its way to become the next Capital of Suburbia. Same Target, same Walmart, same Applebees, same houses, different state. But lets be honest, thats what everybody wants.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
Good jobs do not exist across the entire state. They seem to be localized to certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
North Carolina has plenty to offer, but there are plenty of historic areas and farms/forests bulldozed over by towns to make room for a shopping center. If thats what you want...well ok. Believe me, North Carolina is just tripping over itself on its way to become the next Capital of Suburbia. Same Target, same Walmart, same Applebees, same houses, different state. But lets be honest, thats what everybody wants.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I just read in the online Charlotte newspaper that Cary is the 8th safest city in the US?????
Yup. followed closely by my hometown; #9 Greece, NY

Old 11-04-2006, 01:10 AM

Cary is number 7 for cities with a population between 75,000 and 99,999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Yup. followed closely by my hometown; #9 Greece, NY

Old 11-04-2006, 06:11 AM

28 posts, read 111,703 times
<<What's the point of moving to North Carolina if you're just gonna enclose yourself in an exclusive, elitist Yankees-preferred community??
>>

Wow. Well, you have to remember that people are moving here after maybe a trip or two and are t the mercies of the real estate agents who are advising. I'm not in Cary but close, I came from Los Angeles, and I can say we chose the area instead of Chapel Hill because we were told Raleigh/Wake County had the best school system and the other counties were quite a bit behind. That is important stuff to parents. Of course I question the wisdom of that advise now that I am here :P Another thing about Cary being bland and unlike the rest of rural NC, it is near jobs and compared to where I was in CA it is like a paradise. Maybe it isn't steeped in culture but I don't see gangs and people selling drugs on the corner. I mean, that is a comforting thing. And maybe us people from big metropolitan areas are used to being crowded together, it gives us a sense of safety maybe.
I would have been happier to move to a more rural place if someone said the schools were good and if there was a nice house to be had close to a job.

With all of the technology and the super high cost of living in the metropolitan areas it is just a natural ebb that people start moving to some of the nicer places in the country. Is there something wrong with that?
For what I paid for my awesome house here I could not have afforded a garage in a drug, gang and vermin infested garage in CA. People just want a little place they can call their own to take care of their families and live their lives, is there something wrong with that?

Marie

Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 AM

39 posts, read 175,728 times
Default racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Racism is everywhere, and is not confined to one race. Im white, and I was buying food at a Burger King in Charlotte a few years ago, (which all of the employees were black and most customers) and I cant tell how uncomfortable it was to constantly hear " that white boy dont belong in here " along with other statements that I would consider racist, from the employees and customers.
I can imagine that that was an uncomfortable experience for you and I've had similar experiences as a white person, but that is not an example of racism. You weren't denied anything. Perhaps if you were applying for a job there and the owners, a different race than you, rejected you solely on the basis of your inferiority/incompetence bc of your race, then it would be discriminatory. They were just being rude--there's a world of difference in those two scenarios.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seohkna View Post
<<What's the point of moving to North Carolina if you're just gonna enclose yourself in an exclusive, elitist Yankees-preferred community??
>>

Wow. Well, you have to remember that people are moving here after maybe a trip or two and are t the mercies of the real estate agents who are advising. I'm not in Cary but close, I came from Los Angeles, and I can say we chose the area instead of Chapel Hill because we were told Raleigh/Wake County had the best school system and the other counties were quite a bit behind. That is important stuff to parents. Of course I question the wisdom of that advise now that I am here :P Another thing about Cary being bland and unlike the rest of rural NC, it is near jobs and compared to where I was in CA it is like a paradise. Maybe it isn't steeped in culture but I don't see gangs and people selling drugs on the corner. I mean, that is a comforting thing. And maybe us people from big metropolitan areas are used to being crowded together, it gives us a sense of safety maybe.
I would have been happier to move to a more rural place if someone said the schools were good and if there was a nice house to be had close to a job.

With all of the technology and the super high cost of living in the metropolitan areas it is just a natural ebb that people start moving to some of the nicer places in the country. Is there something wrong with that?
For what I paid for my awesome house here I could not have afforded a garage in a drug, gang and vermin infested garage in CA. People just want a little place they can call their own to take care of their families and live their lives, is there something wrong with that?

Marie

If you were told to chose wake county over Chapel Hill because of better school systems you were duped! Chapel Hill is well known for having the best school system in the state; and that's because it is a city-based rather than county-based school system.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 AM

That tells you that people didn't do their own homework before they moved. Kind of makes you wonder what other things they didn't do that led to their move in the first place.

Duped is a fun sounding word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
If you were told to chose wake county over Chapel Hill because of better school systems you were duped! Chapel Hill is well known for having the best school system in the state; and that's because it is a city-based rather than county-based school system.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:54 AM

28 posts, read 111,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
That tells you that people didn't do their own homework before they moved. Kind of makes you wonder what other things they didn't do that led to their move in the first place.

Duped is a fun sounding word.
Actually I did a lot of homework for a long time and I have family that lives here who seconded that opinion. I don't think you can fully know a place until you have lived there though.

Marie

Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 PM

I'll give you an A- for your homework. Next week will be a pop-quiz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seohkna View Post
Actually I did a lot of homework for a long time and I have family that lives here who seconded that opinion. I don't think you can fully know a place until you have lived there though.

Marie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary