Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 9,736 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are relocating to Cary area from India. My son just finished kindergarten in India and we are hoping to send him to first grade in wcpss. I see that the cut-off age for kindergarten is 5 years by July 31.

It is not clear what is the cut off date for 1st grade. By Sept 6th he will be 6 years old. Will it be an issue for him to get into 1st grade. He has been going to school for 3 years now. He will be definitely bored if he has to go to kindergarten again.

Is it an issue at all? Has anyone faced similar situation? Please guide.

Thanks,
Krishna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM

621 posts, read 982,047 times
Just bring along proof of kindergarten completion and meet the principal. Most of the cases I am aware of, the principal overrode the age cutoff restriction.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Just bring along proof of kindergarten completion and meet the principal. Most of the cases I am aware of, the principal overrode the age cutoff restriction.
Thanks for the quick reply. Another question. I see some elementary schools are capped. What does it mean? Are they capped for Kindergarten admission or is it for all grades?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
When I moved here I met a woman whose child had completed kindergarten in another state but didn't meet the age requirement for kindy here. WCPSS INSISTED on putting the child into kindergarten because of her age (and she was quite young, her b'day was in November). Three weeks into the school year, the school said she needed to be moved up to first grade, which also involved moving tracks and moving a sibling as well. Mom was not happy.

My advice, if the school you are looking at tries to pull this stunt, be very firm in wanting your child to go into 1st grade.

As far as capping, it is for all grades. If you are just moving into the base area now you are not guaranteed a seat. Call the school and ask to talk to the data manager.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Where would a child be placed in a North Carolina school who has completed kindergarten in another state and would have been enrolled in the first grade if he had remained in the original state?

If the kindergarten experience can be documented, the child is eligible to enroll in the first grade. However, the principal has the prerogative of deciding where the child can best be served.

School Entry Age - NC State Board of Education

Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjkrishna View Post
Another question. I see some elementary schools are capped. What does it mean? Are they capped for Kindergarten admission or is it for all grades?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ol-capped.html

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
the school principal is the one who ultimately decides where to place your child since he does not meet the cutoff dates. In general, if a child has successfully completed KG in an accredited school, the principal may make the decision to allow the child into 1st grade but it is not guaranteed. Also, principals may allow the child into one grade on a trial basis and move them if they feel it is warranted, so you should be aware of that as well.
The short answer is, you are not guaranteed a spot in 1st grade and should be prepared for him to possibly repeat KG.

Where would a child be placed in a North Carolina school who has completed kindergarten in another state and would have been enrolled in the first grade if he had remained in the original state?
If the kindergarten experience can be documented, the child is eligible to enroll in the first grade. However, the principal has the prerogative of deciding where the child can best be served.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 AM

4 posts, read 5,858 times
Is there. Senior kindergarten seats in government elementary school?
If so can my kid join in August 2016. We have not yet registered.
IS it possible to come to Cary and get admission directly without registering ? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:13 AM

4 posts, read 5,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjkrishna View Post
Hi All,

We are relocating to Cary area from India. My son just finished kindergarten in India and we are hoping to send him to first grade in wcpss. I see that the cut-off age for kindergarten is 5 years by July 31.

It is not clear what is the cut off date for 1st grade. By Sept 6th he will be 6 years old. Will it be an issue for him to get into 1st grade. He has been going to school for 3 years now. He will be definitely bored if he has to go to kindergarten again.

Is it an issue at all? Has anyone faced similar situation? Please guide.

Thanks,
Krishna
Hi, Krishna,
Did you find admission for your son in 1 St grade? My son is coming to Cary by 1st week of August. He has 5 year old daughter who has completed her 5 th year birthday in DeDec 2015. My son and daughter are under great tension whether their daughter will get admission in 1st grade once they reach there? She is studying in 1st grade in India now. Are there any kindergarten in govt. schools.? Is it necessary to get registration prior to admission? If yes how to register from India? Your reply in this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bharadwaj. N

Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times
You have to come and register in person with a bill in your name for the address you're registering. At this point in the game you'd be at your base school as the transfer, magnet and charter applications have already passed. I would call the school and explain your situation, they may be able to test the child out of a particular grade. However if the child isn't emotionally mature enough they may suggest holding them back on that ground.

One thing worth noting is that kindergarten here is probably not the same as kindergarten where you're coming from. I was surprised at how intense it was compared to how it was when we were little. There is no senior kindergarten, it's K or 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary