Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 21 year old student at UNC-Chapel Hill and Monday, a campus police officer wrote me a ticket. Here's a short summary of relevant information:

1. It was my first time being pulled over for anything (so, of course, also my first ticket for anything)
2. I've been a licensed drive since my 16th birthday, so right at 5.5 years
3. My ticket was for going 42 in a 25. I was on campus and going down a hill and just didn't realize how fast I was going.
4. I was honest with the cop about this. I told him I supposed I was getting pulled over for speeding, but I wasn't sure by how much. I apologized when he told me and was pleasant to him.
5. My court date isn't until late September.

I know I should contest this, especially since it was my first ticket, right? But should I hire a lawyer? Is that necessary? My family is not exactly financially stable and they don't have the money to pay for a lawyer, so it would be on me to dig that up somehow, and I struggle financially, too, because I don't have the monetary support of my family. So, that leaves me in a pickle. I suppose it might be worth it in the long run to hire a lawyer, but if I could get it reduced or waived without a lawyer, I'd rather do that, of course. If I could get y'all's advice, personal experiences, or whatever else on how to go about this situation (whether to hire a lawyer or not and if not, what I should plead in court) that would be great! Thanks for your help!

And another relevant fact might be why I was speeding. I suffer from low blood sugar attacks and had skipped lunch to study that day. Around 8 PM I really started to feel nauseous, which usually is the start of an attack. If I don't get food soon after that, I get light-headed and sometimes pass out. Either way, driving while light-headed is NOT smart, so I would have to bother a friend to bring me food or come pick me up, which I wanted to prevent, so I wanted to hurry home and grab food before that happened. So, I was aware that I was speeding a bit, I just was being neglectful and did not see how quickly I was going. I did not explain this to the cop and maybe I should've, but I got really nervous because it was my first time being pulled over, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM

116 posts, read 173,057 times
I was in a very similar situation when I got my first ticket (after driving for 9 years!). I went to traffic court without a lawyer, and spoke to the attorney there and we agreed upon a lesser charge. I never spoke to the judge, just paid my fine and my car insurance rate did not go up. You could also ask for "prayer for judgement," but I am a little hazy on how that works, but I am sure someone else could fill you in.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM

116 posts, read 173,057 times
Also check out this thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-just-pay.html

Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Hopefully someone with experience specifically in Orange County will chime in... I think this is one of the areas where Orange County is truly different that Durham or Wake County. Orange County is really, really small compared to the others. The relative size of the community is especially apparent if you ever have business at the court house in Hillsborough. I think judges and magistrates in Orange County are a little more willing to listen to human stories, and little less impressed by attorneys. I never had a ticket during my time in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but several friends did. They were all relatively successful by going to court in person.

I'm going take a stab, and guess that this happened on Manning Dr between the two Bowles Dr intersections?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowenby View Post
Hello,

I'm a 21 year old student at UNC-Chapel Hill and Monday, a campus police officer wrote me a ticket. Here's a short summary of relevant information:

1. It was my first time being pulled over for anything (so, of course, also my first ticket for anything)
2. I've been a licensed drive since my 16th birthday, so right at 5.5 years
3. My ticket was for going 42 in a 25. I was on campus and going down a hill and just didn't realize how fast I was going.
4. I was honest with the cop about this. I told him I supposed I was getting pulled over for speeding, but I wasn't sure by how much. I apologized when he told me and was pleasant to him.
5. My court date isn't until late September.

I know I should contest this, especially since it was my first ticket, right? But should I hire a lawyer? Is that necessary? My family is not exactly financially stable and they don't have the money to pay for a lawyer, so it would be on me to dig that up somehow, and I struggle financially, too, because I don't have the monetary support of my family. So, that leaves me in a pickle. I suppose it might be worth it in the long run to hire a lawyer, but if I could get it reduced or waived without a lawyer, I'd rather do that, of course. If I could get y'all's advice, personal experiences, or whatever else on how to go about this situation (whether to hire a lawyer or not and if not, what I should plead in court) that would be great! Thanks for your help!

And another relevant fact might be why I was speeding. I suffer from low blood sugar attacks and had skipped lunch to study that day. Around 8 PM I really started to feel nauseous, which usually is the start of an attack. If I don't get food soon after that, I get light-headed and sometimes pass out. Either way, driving while light-headed is NOT smart, so I would have to bother a friend to bring me food or come pick me up, which I wanted to prevent, so I wanted to hurry home and grab food before that happened. So, I was aware that I was speeding a bit, I just was being neglectful and did not see how quickly I was going. I did not explain this to the cop and maybe I should've, but I got really nervous because it was my first time being pulled over, I guess.
Judges and police officers have heard every story in the books, and they don't care. You should hire an attorney honestly. Did he write you up for 42 in a 25?

I've heard you can't use a prayer for judgement if your speed is more than 15 mph over the limit. Might want to look into that.

If you get points on your license your insurance will go up, and will cost you more than an attorney in the long run.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowenby View Post
I would not bother bringing up the low sugar issue. And to be honest, if you have a history of these attacks, you need to get in the habit of carrying something with you for such occasions. Please don't get behind the wheel of a car if you're showing signs of low sugar. Your levels can drop very quickly, and you can endanger yourself and others.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 PM

It was indeed at that intersection.

thanks for all the answers so far! and if anyone has anything else to chime in about, please do!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM

oh, and yes, he did write me up for the 42 in a 25, unfortunately for me.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times
When I first moved here, about 12 years ago so this might still apply, I got my only ticket in Chapel Hill. I was speeding on what was then Airport Rd down that hill near the police station. I still had MI plates on my car too, and a MI drivers license. I really can't remember how much over the limit I was going though.

I showed up to the court house in Hillsborough on the date on the ticket. There was a big line of people there with tickets and a guy at a desk at the end of the hall. When I got to him he looked at my ticket and gave me the option of having it lower to some sort of non-moving violation that wouldn't result in points on my license and therefore no insurance increase. I also needed to take a traffic safety course as part of this deal. I still had to go in front of the judge and basically accept my ticket of some kind of faulty equipment or something like that. Then I had to pay court costs, the ticket amount, and for the traffic safety class. I can't remember the total cost, and it's probably more now anyway, but it wasn't cheap. I still thought it was better than an insurance increase though.

In the end the more valuable part was the lesson learned. I can't afford to speed, so I don't anymore --- no matter how much the guy riding my ass (not in the left lane) of I-40 wishes I would. I haven't had a ticket since, and I don't think I ever will.

I can't say for sure your experience at the OC court house would be anything like mine, but since you asked I shared it. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Everyone always says to hire a lawyer, but in my one North Carolina experience, and my wife's two, we didn't and the outcome all three times was desirable.

If you decide to go it alone, be sincere and polite, remember that they've heard every story at least twice already that day alone and avoid explaining the underlying medical issues because it only makes you look irresponsible (I once had a friend go that route and the judge suggested he shouldn't even be driving).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary