Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 58,521 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, thank you kindly in advance for your thoughts, input, advice on willow springs i've googled the poop out of WS and still would love any input.

we know all the 'legistics' about it's location, it's primarily residential with only 1 post office and a few schools. but what we'd love to know is how are the neighbors? friendly? quiet? do they like to socialize? we see lots of ponds there, but no parks?

where do the children play? what's life like for a family (elementary school age kids) in WS?

thank you so much for your thoughts...we will be flying over there in a week and would love to put in an offer on a home we are in love with (hopefully it is still available when we get there)....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Most folks call it Willow Spring.
Willow Spring, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,507 times
Hello, we live in Willow Spring (Johnston Cty side) in a cookie cutter subdivision. It is quiet. We have noticed that relatives tend to buy homes near each other here. There are no parks here which we don't like but on the other hand we have large yards with plenty of woods in the back. I imagine you are interested in the Wake County side so I can't speak to the schools. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
Willow Springs Elementary is outstanding, you probably already knew that.

But yeah, not much else there. Depending exactly where you are, you can be quite convenient to Raleigh.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
haha, i was waiting for someone to mention that....! seems no one really gets it right, but either way, it has a pretty name

Old 07-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
Hello, we live in Willow Spring (Johnston Cty side) in a cookie cutter subdivision. It is quiet. We have noticed that relatives tend to buy homes near each other here. There are no parks here which we don't like but on the other hand we have large yards with plenty of woods in the back. I imagine you are interested in the Wake County side so I can't speak to the schools. Good luck!
do you find you feel like an outsider there? what with the relatives all living closely by each other? I thought about the park situation and the first thought that came to my mind was the large lots sizes, just like you said. we are looking at a home (fell head over heels actually) and it's on the johnson side. the schools scores are lower, but we homeschool so that is a non issue.

how about all the ponds in the area? are those private? i may be a bit idealic but i can see us riding our bikes to a nearby pond and finding a pretty area to picnic...or is this sort of a 'no no'?

also, do you know if it's ok to have back yard hens (for the fresh eggs?) or is there a city covenant against that there?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsadventure2014 View Post
... do you know if it's ok to have back yard hens (for the fresh eggs?) or is there a city covenant against that there?
Willow Spring is an unincorporated community. That means there is no town government, no town ordinances, and no town services. This is a double-edged sword: lower taxes but fewer services.

The freedom to keep chickens would depend on the wording of a Protective and Restrictive Covenants document which binds all residents of your subdivision. If your residence has no such document, then the ordinances of your county prevail. Willow Spring is partly in Wake, partly in Johnston County so you would have to do some research.

That said, there may be some wiggle room for you to keep chickens. My subdivision has a Covenants document which specifically prohibits livestock. Despite this, my next-door neighbor keeps chickens for fresh eggs and also as a learning exercise for her children. How does she get away with it? Because nobody objects, nobody complains.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Willow Spring is an unincorporated community. That means there is no town government, no town ordinances, and no town services. This is a double-edged sword: lower taxes but fewer services.

The freedom to keep chickens would depend on the wording of a Protective and Restrictive Covenants document which binds all residents of your subdivision. If your residence has no such document, then the ordinances of your county prevail. Willow Spring is partly in Wake, partly in Johnston County so you would have to do some research.

That said, there may be some wiggle room for you to keep chickens. My subdivision has a Covenants document which specifically prohibits livestock. Despite this, my next-door neighbor keeps chickens for fresh eggs and also as a learning exercise for her children. How does she get away with it? Because nobody objects, nobody complains.

Yes! this is exactly what I was researching and concluded just last night. In researching WS, and the subdivision that we are possibly buying in, there appears to be nothing restricting keeping backyard hens. even here in so cal, in the urban mecca 'city' we live in, you can have up to 6 hens in your own yard, but no roosters....mind you.

But this raises a question for me, being that I am not experienced in the ways 'no town services', what happens if your neighbor has a constant barking dog? or if your home is robbed, or GOD forbid a fire breaks out in your kitchen and your house goes up in flames? who do you call for such issues?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsadventure2014 View Post
Yes! this is exactly what I was researching and concluded just last night. In researching WS, and the subdivision that we are possibly buying in, there appears to be nothing restricting keeping backyard hens. even here in so cal, in the urban mecca 'city' we live in, you can have up to 6 hens in your own yard, but no roosters....mind you.

But this raises a question for me, being that I am not experienced in the ways 'no town services', what happens if your neighbor has a constant barking dog? or if your home is robbed, or GOD forbid a fire breaks out in your kitchen and your house goes up in flames? who do you call for such issues?
You call the volunteer fire department or the county sheriff.

Your idyllic notion of biking to a pond and having a picnic is unlikely.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Willow spring is pretty rural. Not much out that way beside some farms and residential development. No parks, so any ponds you see are on private property. Not a bad place to live if you want land and don't have to worry about commuting to work. But don't expect many retail or entertainment amenities without driving to other towns. I also suspect you will find a small proportion of transplants out there. I'm sure it is a nice place if that is what you want, but many might find it a bit remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary