Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM

250 posts, read 694,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
You know there's a parking garage?
roscomac, Thanks, I gave you a rep. I have seen the entrance to the parking garage, but have never used it and had forgotten about it. So back I go to Lafayette Village. Wait, am I right in assuming the garage usually has available parking spaces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Most definitely. It's a bit hidden, so some people never know it's there. Hope I didn't sound snarky.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
I would like to see one in the Brier Creek area. All we have is the Earth Fare and it is small.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I am just all around excited about this as it can only be the beginning of many more options for us in the West Cary area. Whole Foods is a solid anchor.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:17 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I am just all around excited about this as it can only be the beginning of many more options for us in the West Cary area. Whole Foods is a solid anchor.

Maybe the Alston Town side will end up being the more upscale center in that area.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM

28 posts, read 56,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Maybe the Alston Town side will end up being the more upscale center in that area.
I sure hope so. Very unimpressed by Parkside... It looks nothing like the original concept.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:56 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxmulder View Post
I sure hope so. Very unimpressed by Parkside... It looks nothing like the original concept.
It's not even completed yet so what's your comparison? I too am unimpressed by mounds of dirt but don't expect it to be a Southpoint. Given there's nothing on this end of the world I'm pretty happy to have civilization in the wilderness.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 AM

28 posts, read 56,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
It's not even completed yet so what's your comparison? I too am unimpressed by mounds of dirt but don't expect it to be a Southpoint. Given there's nothing on this end of the world I'm pretty happy to have civilization in the wilderness.
My comparison is to the vision that I believe the developer originally shared regarding the site. Yes, I understand that building is not complete, but what they are building is nothing like what was originally proposed. Now I could be having false memories... I am a bit older these days. I seem to remember the original site plan being something like North Hills, or Grace Park... Where the retail and living areas shared common space. More integrated with plenty of walking areas and a town square type feel. More local and smaller specialty shops mixed with the standard big box anchors.

What we ultimately appear to be getting is the same old strip plaza with housing pushed into the far corner as an almost afterthought. We are getting the same old stores... How many Targets are within 15 miles? Apex, Southpoint, Morrisville... Harris Teeter? What is it now, 5? 8? How many do we need? Isn't the HT at Cary Park like 2 miles away? Now I will give you that we are getting some new things and I am pleased to see it. Field and Stream (while its not a place I would choose to shop) is a new and welcome addition. But, the rest is the same old plaza with the same old stores, in the same old layout. That is why I am disappointed. Its basically the same strip mall that was built in Morrisville with a few plug-in retail and dining changes. What its not, is the upscale, walkable, living and shopping town square type concept that was originally proposed. An example I can think of off the top of my head is Birkdale Village outside Charlotte in Huntersville, NC (http://www.birkdalevillage.net/).

I am happy to have some dining and retail in the area that doesn't require a 30 minute drive to get to, but I think there was a missed opportunity here... I am not a marketing expert and assume they know what they are doing, but I figured the area community (and RTP) would not be the key demographic for Toby Keith's Bar and Grill, Field and Stream, etc. But I guess that is why I am not consulted for new shopping and living centers.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Actually, you might be confusing Park West Village with Parkside Town Commons. I know that Park West was going to be pretty much exactly as you described, but between the NIMBY freakout and then the recession that soon followed it got scaled way back. Parkside may have been similar, but I don't remember seeing any renderings like with Park west.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM

146 posts, read 691,197 times
No, fxmulder is right. When we first moved here in early 2007, we actually met with the developers and they shared their initial vision with us. Walkable, huge water feature, everything just as fxmulder described. They had plans and renderings too. Focus was supposed to be on higher end and local shops and restaurants - they thought the grocery store might be a Whole Foods or a Fresh Market or something.

Things started going downhill when part of the design got rejected by Town of Cary, and in order to meet those requirements, they had to redo the layout (sorry, I don't remember those details, and of course that was just their side of the story).
Then, the real estate market went down the tubes, and when the project finally resurfaced, it was Target, Harris Teeter, and chains. I'm glad it's finally being built, but we were disappointed that that original vision was lost. It's easy to tell now that it won't look anything like the original plan because the site plan is readily available online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary