Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I believe there is a Friendly's off Exit #24 on I-95 (toward S. Carolina). We've been eyeing the new Freddy's but haven't checked it out yet. We did try the PDQ in that same complex and found it disappointing (it's like a Zaxbys or Raising Cane but not as good as either).
Really, you didn't like PDQ? I like Zaxby's quite a bit as well but PDQ is a family favorite since opening up two years ago. It's the fastest service I've ever had and despite having eaten at three of them, the food is consistently prepared and quite good. What disappointed you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Really, you didn't like PDQ? I like Zaxby's quite a bit as well but PDQ is a family favorite since opening up two years ago. It's the fastest service I've ever had and despite having eaten at three of them, the food is consistently prepared and quite good. What disappointed you?
I'd give them another shot to see if things improve. On my visit I had their basic chicken fingers meal. The coating on the chicken fingers was oily and messy rather than crisp, and the fries were a soggy unappetizing mush. Also, the employee announcing that orders were ready made a production out of each announcement, which got kind of annoying after the first 30 or 40 times.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
Well we finally tried Freddy's. My recommendation: skip it. It's like a Steak & Shake but with counter service instead of wait staff, the burgers are tissue thin, greasy and over-cooked, and it's more expensive.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:45 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,322 times
Quote:
Well we finally tried Freddy's. My recommendation: skip it. It's like a Steak & Shake but with counter service instead of wait staff, the burgers are tissue thin, greasy and over-cooked, and it's more expensive.
My thought too. Also the patties seemed overly salty to me and the grind used for their beef a little fattier than 85/15. I also got a Chicago Dog for my wife and she reported it was pretty good. I might give them another try to see if I just had bad luck and might also try one of their concretes. Still, with Five Guys just a stone's throw away, I'm not sure I see Freddy's lasting too long out there.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM

282 posts, read 821,084 times
Quote:
I'd give them another shot to see if things improve. On my visit I had their basic chicken fingers meal. The coating on the chicken fingers was oily and messy rather than crisp, and the fries were a soggy unappetizing mush. Also, the employee announcing that orders were ready made a production out of each announcement, which got kind of annoying after the first 30 or 40 times.
I had the same experience, gave it a few tries and realized it's just not good. Now I always opt for one of the other chicken places. It does appear to be busy though, so I wonder what I'm missing.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,507,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

I agree with the other person. I've tried PDQ's twice so far and just not impressed. They have a nice selection of dipping sauces but their fries are nasty (too oily and skinny) and their chicken is over-cooked. Also I'm not a fan of those coca-cola fountains that are popping up everywhere now that have everything coming out of one nozzle where you make the selection of your drink on the fancy touch screen. I just want regular coke; and when 100 people before me that day have had 275573290 different combinations of drinks and flavors added to them; my regular coke comes out with a hint of 7239058230 funky tastes!

I have driven to Mebane and North Durham (from Chapel Hill) to get Zaxby's. Far superior.

I want to try out this new Freddy's place though!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
I still haven't gotten over it being Freddy's and not Friendly's

Old 08-28-2014, 11:23 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,430,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I agree with the other person. I've tried PDQ's twice so far and just not impressed. They have a nice selection of dipping sauces but their fries are nasty (too oily and skinny) and their chicken is over-cooked. Also I'm not a fan of those coca-cola fountains that are popping up everywhere now that have everything coming out of one nozzle where you make the selection of your drink on the fancy touch screen. I just want regular coke; and when 100 people before me that day have had 275573290 different combinations of drinks and flavors added to them; my regular coke comes out with a hint of 7239058230 funky tastes!

I have driven to Mebane and North Durham (from Chapel Hill) to get Zaxby's. Far superior.

I want to try out this new Freddy's place though!
Your work-around to this is to "flush" it by running regular water through for a few seconds before selecting your actual beverage. Works for me every time. The Coke tastes like Coke, the Vanilla Barq's like Vanilla Barq's, and the Snozzberries like Snozzberries.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:15 PM

149 posts, read 615,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Next thing you know, the raspy-voiced Carvel guy will be on local commercials too
Don't tease me like that, lol!!!

There were two Carvels when we moved to the area in 2005 from NY; one on Duraleigh, and then one on Six Forks and Millbrook. Both closed not long after we moved here. I was so sad when that happened. You'd figure with all the transplants in the area, that a Carvel would be well supported.

If a White Castle ever opened up here though.... I'd even settle for Krystal's...

Old 08-31-2014, 03:30 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
For some unknown reason, the rumor around my Westchester County (NY) elementary school was that Tom Carvel lived nearby and was in the mafia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary