Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times

Advertisements

So I've been having trouble with possums. they've been nesting under my house and shredding my insulation and my HVAC ducts.

Finally hired a guy to come and clean them out so I can get the stuff repaired. He put a trap in my crawlspace on Friday.

On Monday morning he came to check it and it was GONE!

He is convinced that some animal activist followed him to my house and snuck in my crawl space (which truly exemplifies the term Crawl Space) and took his trap. I don't have any reason to disbelieve him.

I wonder if it had a possum in it when they took it?

I'm pretty darned ticked that someone would have the gall to trespass on my property. That is creepy, not to mention very inconvenient for me and the trap guy. I filed a police report and notified the neighborhood watch. I was home most of the weekend.

Bought a cheap lock for the crawlspace and I'm resentful that it has come to this.

Has anyone heard of people doing this in our area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
That is really strange. Never heard of such a thing

Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Suspect story. I'd call BS. Especially if he's asking you to pay for something you haven't received (like possum removal).

Old 08-05-2014, 07:24 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
Maybe the possum dragged himself AND the cage to freedom!

This is kind of like a mystery I had at my house a few years back. I came home only to find my daughter's Beta fish gone! The bowl was there, the water still in it, no splashed water around it. I don't have cats, nobody was home ...but the fish disappeared.

You could get one of those night camera's that's motion activated and place it outside aimed at your crawlspace door. My neighbor has one for deer hunting, they got it from WalMart pretty cheap.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-05-2014 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-05-2014, 09:16 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,894 times
We had a neighbor repeatedly release a possum from a live-catch trap. Weeks went by and we couldn't figure out how he was getting out before they could come out and pick him up. A neighbor finally confessed monthly later. They felt we were being cruel to the possum. The possum was terrorizing our cats and had no fear of humans. I'm still annoyed with them, and it's been more than a year.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
We had a neighbor repeatedly release a possum from a live-catch trap. Weeks went by and we couldn't figure out how he was getting out before they could come out and pick him up. A neighbor finally confessed monthly later. They felt we were being cruel to the possum. The possum was terrorizing our cats and had no fear of humans. I'm still annoyed with them, and it's been more than a year.
Weird. Your neighbor has no business messing around if it was in your property grounds

Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Be on the lookout for one of your neighbors setting up a Brunswick Stew stand off the back of their 1927 Ford truck....

(My guess is that if the "guy" is benefiting from this in ANY way, he would be the first suspect here. Stranger things have happened, but it's unlikely someone broke in and stole the trap. Not impossible, but highly unlikely, IMO.)

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,478 times
Must have been one BIG opossum.

Had a neighbor set out some mouse traps in their kitchen one time, only to find them out in their yard the next morning. So they went and bought bigger rat traps, and set those out. Heard it "snap" and went to see what it caught, and it too was gone. Ended up in the yard the next morning.

Neighbor finally sat down at his kitchen table with a .22 rifle, and waited the critter out. Ended up shooting a GIANT wharf rat in his kitchen. It was coming in and out through a huge "Tom and Jerry" hole along the baseboard behind an appliance.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
I'd be ticked...The other, other white meat is tasty...

Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
so are you being charged for the trap and his time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: