Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
You know, that's a good point.

We all know that Food Lion is cheap and basic, Carlie C's is even cheaper and kind of funky, Compare is for people who don't speak English, Harris Teeter is the local hillbilly Wegmans wannabee, and Krogers is for people who actually liked the Seventies.

But who is Lowes for? Does anyone know who their target segment is? Do they know?
The Lowes on Cary Parkway is being redone as well you guys should check it out, it really is looking nice, to the point that I prefer it over HT(folks talk about their prices but you guys should check out their 7.99 any topping pizza mondays, 5 dollar any foot long friday's I don't know why gboro is the only one that does it but I guess eventually the HT's here will do fresh burgers, and their doughnuts are pretty good too.), there's a beer den with over 100 different craft beers, and a sausage worx where there's over 20 different house made sausages that they will grill up for you, and over all how they have touch up everything it looks nice and they even have a section dedicated to Piedmont produce. On a side note every time on on city-data people are talking about wegmans, Now after seeing and reading the hype behind publix, I don't get it, I lived in GA for a year, and publix was nice but I just don't get the hype, I'm inclined to believe that it(wegmans) too is over hyped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 AM

[IMG]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/3578401/lowes0375*600.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/3578351/lowes0321*600.jpg[/IMG]

don't know why the other images aren't showing but here is lowes foods beer den

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 08-31-2014 at 02:38 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 07:21 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:

We all know that Food Lion is cheap and basic, Carlie C's is even cheaper and kind of funky, Compare is for people who don't speak English, Harris Teeter is the local hillbilly Wegmans wannabee, and Krogers is for people who actually liked the Seventies.

But who is Lowes for? Does anyone know who their target segment is? Do they know?
Carlie C's/IGA meat section >>> than your favorite grocer's meat section (if you're into the "traditional" meats).

Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,473 times
Quote:

I guess this explains why I havent found a grocery store here that I like as a whole to do my weekly shops.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I guess this explains why I havent found a grocery store here that I like as a whole to do my weekly shops.
Just curious, what grocery store had been your "go to" previously?

And where do you shop now? (Sorry if you've already mentioned it).

Old 08-31-2014, 12:08 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
On a side note every time on on city-data people are talking about wegmans, Now after seeing and reading the hype behind publix, I don't get it, I lived in GA for a year, and publix was nice but I just don't get the hype, I'm inclined to believe that it(wegmans) too is over hyped.
Wegmans is nothing like Publix. I like Publix. It is a nice grocery store with a good bakery, deli, and good customer service, and is family-owned but it isn't THAT much different from other grocery stores looks-wise and content-wise.

Wegmans is a whole other ballgame, and I say that as someone who is not a crazy Wegmans fan. Wegmans are HUGE - they are about 3 times the size of a regular supermarket. They have whole sections of cheese, bakery, breads, bulk foods, wine sections, a hot food bar, etc. Their produce section is gigantic. They also carry other things related to cooking and baking like pots, pans, aprons, etc. in aisles similar to a department store. When they open up in new markets, people go CRAZY for them. I was there when they opened in the DC market, and it's all anyone talked about. When they opened in Philadelphia near my parents' home, my mom said the same thing, everyone went crazy for it.

Wegmans is also known for being a good store to work for and is also privately owned. If you want to see what it looks like, go to Google iimages and type in Wegmans, and you'll see how different the stores are than regular grocery stores.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...lqg&gws_rd=ssl

Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:

Lol

Lowes is for people who don't realize there is another supermarket down the road charging half the price.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,182 times
Lowe's is for those of us who don't like Food Lion but think Harris Teeter is too pricey. Just the right size that it doesn't take forever to find what you are looking for.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 PM

All I can think about of when people talk about prices, is that honestly with lowes card, or your harris teeter card, or your food lion mvp card, or your kroger card, things are just about the same dang price over all. Now each one will have items cheaper or higher then the other, but in general, meats, fresh produce, milk(though I am basing this off soy and almond since I don't drink dairy milk), can veggies, frozens(all of them have a buy one get one free, or a 2 for 5 or a 2 for 6 or a 10 for 10 or a 4 for 5 or a 5 for 5 and each store), juices, sodas( each one has a deal such as buy one get one free, or a buy 3 get 1 free, or xyz soda for 99 cent or 89 cent and in HT's case 77 cent, 2 for 2 etc), Sauces, Seasonings and spices are around the same, beef, chicken, fish, lamb, veal, etc(now this one can vary not so much far as prices but variety of different meats and cuts).

Then there are some good deals of prepared meals(I don't get FL's or Krogers but lowes and Ht got some good stuff). HT has 7.99 pizza monday's freshly prepared pizza any topping, tell them what you want made and they got you in 10 to 15 minutes, subs specials every day, and then 5 dollar any sub fridays, now I skip their food bars as food by the pound does get pricey, also while I haven't seen any of the triangle stores do it, the one in gboro has pasta, and fresh made burgers. Then you can roll to lowes on days you are trying to make something quick, get some london broil for 3 or 4 dollars, or some steak for the same price and then just cook up sides when you get home, and if you get there around 7 they will give you deal on chicken wings, came in there one day, and planned on buying 8 wings( it is 69 cent per wing, ended up getting 16 wings for the price of 5(the manager basically was like I can either give all these wings to you or we have to throw them away) and both have some pretty good doughnuts which you can get half price after 6.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,475 times
Off-topic slightly - has anyone noticed Lowe's new marketing campaign? It reminds me a LOT of Whole Foods, the font they're using, the focus on local (yes, Lowe's actually IS local - but Whole Foods did it first) and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary