Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:30 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
What? The area has changed but crime still isn't a problem, Raleigh and its suburbs still have freakishly low crime rates, for a metro of its size; (and has always been way safer than the majority of NC's rural areas) crime has been decreasing sharply nationwide since the early 90s. Locking your car/doors is just common sense, and it should be everywhere, the chance of having your car stolen or your house broken into (well, walked into) is still extremely low, but it can happen, and it can happen anywhere; and locking your doors and cars is an easy preventative measure that will deter most criminals. (which is why every city everywhere should issue reminders about it.)

Indeed and as the city or Raleigh, the suburbs and triangle area continue to grow these little petty thefts crimes will grow as well. Kind of comes with the territory of high growth. That's why locks were invented. I have a friend in Clayton right now a young guy in his twenties whose parents bought the house in anticipation of moving down when they retire and he and his cousin he shares the house with routinely leave the nice 2 story home in a nice subdivision unlocked like the whole day. I however know better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:56 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I just asked one. He laughed at me. Plus now my kid thinks I'm trying to score.
Oh its here...please dont think otherwise....but it's not like it's every kid in every school ot that they are openingly selling and shooting up in the hallways.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Oh its here...please dont think otherwise....but it's not like it's every kid in every school ot that they are openingly selling and shooting up in the hallways.
I think it is fair to say that if you want to find drugs, you can, anywhere, good high school or bad. The same thing can be said when kids go to college, it is not just the "party schools" that have drugs. Again, no body is saying they are handed out in the dining hall with your meal, but drug use exists.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I've been in high school since 1983, with a brief time off for college - and even then I spent a year in high school on practicum and student teaching. While I can't say there's no heroin around, I can say with confidence that heroin is not a major high school problem in this area.

Too much free time, too little supervision. That combo causes all kinds of problems.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:03 PM

54 posts, read 109,664 times
Weird to see a thread like this regarding Wake Forest. My wife and I have lived in a quiet neighborhood in WF for over 8 years now. We've seen the occassional oddball solicitor, but have never encountered any criminal element.

Friday at around 6pm we were sitting down to eat dinner with our young son. My in-laws, who also live in WF, had my two daughters and when the doorbell rang my wife jumped up thinking it was her dad dropping the girls off.

Instead there was a scruffy looking young guy standing in the middle of our front lawn(!). He said something to the effect of "Is the owner of the house around?" But my wife got an immediate bad vibe and closed the door.

She told me what happened and when I went to the window I saw the guy pacing up and down our street. He didn't look like a solicitor to me as they usually go immediately from one house to the next.

After a minute or two of watching this guy pacing around I decided to grab my gun and go check my mailbox. The scruffy guy was still pacing around, but now down the street a bit from my house. When I got to the mailbox a heavy-set young guy came walking past. "Hey. Do you need any work on your house?" he said. "I think we're good" I replied.

Just then a white pickup truck came speeding up the street and the two guys hopped in. The truck turned around and took off.

My wife was freaked out, but I told her that one of the neighbors just had a few handymen over cutting down trees and that was probably them and they were just terrible businessmen.

She went on a Wake Forest Facebook group first thing Saturday morning and a bunch of folks were talking about some shady characters driving around in a white pickup sizing up houses in the area to steal from.

She is still freaked out and we are now in the process of getting a German Shepherd. I'm just glad I was around when it happened.

It's sad, but I can't say it surprises me. I've been telling her for years that there are a lot of unsavory types out there.

Last edited by fds472; 09-14-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 09:06 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Break_ins are on the rise in my itb neighborhood. Its getting very frustrating. Last week someone broke my security lights. Not sure what will stop this trend!

Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fds472 View Post
She is still freaked out and we are now in the process of getting a German Shepherd. I'm just glad I was around when it happened.
The only reason to get a German Shepherd is because you've always wanted one. Please don't get a dog solely as a security measure. The average (not upper limit or worst case scenario) cost of caring for a dog over it's lifetime is something like $35,000, making it an extraordinarily expensive security system. One that will probably false a lot, barking at squirrels or whatever else it wants to bark at. Now, if you were looking for a particular breed prior to this, that's different.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 AM

54 posts, read 109,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
The only reason to get a German Shepherd is because you've always wanted one. Please don't get a dog solely as a security measure. The average (not upper limit or worst case scenario) cost of caring for a dog over it's lifetime is something like $35,000, making it an extraordinarily expensive security system. One that will probably false a lot, barking at squirrels or whatever else it wants to bark at. Now, if you were looking for a particular breed prior to this, that's different.
Thanks for the advice, but I've owned dogs my whole life. We just had to put our older shelter dog/mutt down a few months ago.

We were going to wait another year for a replacement since my son is 1.5 years old, and is a handful by himself. But I'm thinking having the boy and the dog grow and bond together might not be a bad thing (even if it does make for a rough year or so).

I have wanted a shepherd my whole life but have always gone with shelter dogs instead. This current situation seems like the perfect time for us to give a GSD a try.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 AM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fds472 View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I've owned dogs my whole life. We just had to put our older shelter dog/mutt down a few months ago.

We were going to wait another year for a replacement since my son is 1.5 years old, and is a handful by himself. But I'm thinking having the boy and the dog grow and bond together might not be a bad thing (even if it does make for a rough year or so).

I have wanted a shepherd my whole life but have always gone with shelter dogs instead. This current situation seems like the perfect time for us to give a GSD a try.
It sounds like you're an experienced dog person, so I would just say to research the breed carefully. If you've had mostly mixed breeds, they may have been more adaptable than a purebred, where a purebred is likely to adhere to the characteristics their breed is known for.

Here's one link:
Is the German Shepherd Dog (GSD) Right for You? - California Golden State German Shepherd Rescue

One statement there in particular caught my eye: "German Shepherd Dogs are one of the guard dog breeds. They can become overprotective towards possessions or property, even towards family members. If you know you are too soft to establish effective leadership or you know you like to spoil your dog, consider a different breed."

Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
I have a GSD from German Shepherd Rescue and can attest to the guard dog instincts. She still sometimes growls at dogs she sees being walked by the house, but now she only barks if someone approaches the front door. She'll also make noise if an unfamiliar vehicle pulls in the driveway.

I also read about and use a code word to identify friendly visitors. That reduces the protective reaction, although she is still excited to have people come in.

Everyone in the house likes dogs and as the previous dog (Shephed/Collie) got older, we added another one. Didn't set out to get a pure GSD, but we went to a rescue event and really liked this dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary