Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM

210 posts, read 428,030 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been looking into playing some volleyball; however, I haven't had much luck in finding teams or places to play. What I have found is beach/sand volleyball, which I totally hate.

I have found some meetup groups/teams, but they are full. I have seen a few websites, but they are old and seem to exist only for keeping historical information.

At this point, I am not really looking for something that costs to play just yet. I am just looking to play some games on a regular basis. Therefore, I would like to find a group of people that play on a field on a regular basis that I could join them.

I do not mind starting a team of my own. My only problem so far is finding a place to play indoor or on grass. So here are my questions.

1 - Where can I find a place to play volleyball either indoor or on grass? I am assuming that I would have to pay to be able to play indoor... I don't want to pay at this point but I thought I would ask anyway.

2 - Suppose I find a nice flat grassy area on a park, is it legal to set a volleyball net there to play? Do I need some sort of a permit to do so?

3 - Do you know of any volleyball team that is active and looking for players?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,889,867 times
Any grassy area that is reasonably well kept is going to be owned so yes you would need permission to put up a net from the owning entity whether municipal or private.
Green Hope Elementary School Park has nets but the surface is sand. I'm not sure how deep it is though (ie not really sure it qualifies as beach volleyball). There are volleyball aces here like Triangle Volleyball and NC volleyball academy but I'm sure they would charge entry to rent, if they even rent at all. Guess you could ask.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:57 AM

235 posts, read 423,870 times
check out Triangle Volleyball Club

Played there last month

Old 09-05-2014, 07:22 AM

792 posts, read 4,493,417 times
Town of Cary Adult Athletics

Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,860,229 times
The Jaycee Park off Oberlin Road has some courts with pretty serious players on the weekends; I bet you could stop by and join in. Somewhere like the YMCA might be able to refer you to groups that are harder to find in online searches.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM

112 posts, read 181,047 times
Seen folks playing at Bond Park (inside). It is probably free for town of cary folks. I'm not sure if it was a league or free play, but there are often people playing.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrix View Post
check out Triangle Volleyball Club

Played there last month
What was the process if you don't mind me asking? Also, did you play indoor or outdoor?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The Jaycee Park off Oberlin Road has some courts with pretty serious players on the weekends; I bet you could stop by and join in. Somewhere like the YMCA might be able to refer you to groups that are harder to find in online searches.
I checked out Jaycee Park today. It had beautiful courts, and there were people playing. However, they were all sands courts.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,860,229 times
Coincidentally, I just saw a note that the Halifax Community Center, next to William Peace University, has pickup volleyball games on Fridays at 7:00 PM (it may be other nights than Fridays, but what I saw was talking about tomorrow). It mentioned that it is not very crowded because the community center is still relatively new and people might not know about it.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Coincidentally, I just saw a note that the Halifax Community Center, next to William Peace University, has pickup volleyball games on Fridays at 7:00 PM (it may be other nights than Fridays, but what I saw was talking about tomorrow). It mentioned that it is not very crowded because the community center is still relatively new and people might not know about it.
Do you know if this is indoor or outdoor? And, is this information posted anywhere? I wasn't able to find it through google search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary