Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

We are having senior pictures taken for our son who swims, loves movies and likes photography and biology. Are there any locations that come to mind? Are there any old theaters by a park with a lake that we can start at one location and go to another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
May I suggest taking some photos in his most commonly visited areas? I would think they have more meaning than a more photogenic location that he usually doesn't go to, perhaps? A good photog can make even a mundane location look great with choosing the best angle, etc. Either way, good luck with your choice and congrats on him being a senior. My daughter is just in Kindergarten and I can not imagine what the future holds between now and then.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
either Duke Gardens or the Raleigh Little Theater/Rose Garden seem like the most popular choices

Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
May I suggest taking some photos in his most commonly visited areas? I would think they have more meaning than a more photogenic location that he usually doesn't go to, perhaps?
This is great advice! If I were to have such photos taken as a kid, I would very much appreciate them being in the places that meant something to me at that age. So, hit his favorite pool and movie theater and even think about putting some of his friends as the backdrop so that he can revisit and share with his family in 20, 30 or 40 years from now. Go to his school and ask if you can use the biology lab as well or go to one of the places in nature that he does his own "research". This could be a really cool and memorable process for him and you. Also, don't be afraid to take your own photos of the photographer and the session....sort of "behind the scenes" sort of stuff to more casually capture the event. I did that once for a friend and her daughter and I constantly hear how much they like those photos.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is great advice! If I were to have such photos taken as a kid, I would very much appreciate them being in the places that meant something to me at that age. So, hit his favorite pool and movie theater and even think about putting some of his friends as the backdrop so that he can revisit and share with his family in 20, 30 or 40 years from now. Go to his school and ask if you can use the biology lab as well or go to one of the places in nature that he does his own "research". This could be a really cool and memorable process for him and you. Also, don't be afraid to take your own photos of the photographer and the session....sort of "behind the scenes" sort of stuff to more casually capture the event. I did that once for a friend and her daughter and I constantly hear how much they like those photos.
Even better advice!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM

386 posts, read 436,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
either Duke Gardens or the Raleigh Little Theater/Rose Garden seem like the most popular choices

saw a professional photo shoot going on at raleigh little theater last weekend, so that definitely is a good spot.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:08 AM

644 posts, read 842,610 times
I think the University settings be it State, Carolina or Duke are all excellent locations. I have seen beautiful pictures taken at Umstead as well. But, I agree with the previous poster. Take them at places you guys have frequented growing up.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am going to jump on the bandwagon and say these are great ideas!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:07 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
This isn't directed specifically at the OP, but when did senior pictures become a thing?

Way back in the dark ages, we just did the yearbook picture. Boys in suits, girls in that weird off the shoulder drape thing. Now it seems like seniors need a complete photo shoot on location with props.

Is this something that photographers have perpetuated to drive up business in between weddings?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This isn't directed specifically at the OP, but when did senior pictures become a thing?

Way back in the dark ages, we just did the yearbook picture. Boys in suits, girls in that weird off the shoulder drape thing. Now it seems like seniors need a complete photo shoot on location with props.

Is this something that photographers have perpetuated to drive up business in between weddings?
I was curious about this too. Are the senior pictures for you to distribute to family and friends? I have never heard of taking senior pictures - but I do not have a child in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary