Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times

Advertisements

As a single senior, are there recommendations of places to move to a small SFH in the residential downtown area? I would love to find something affordable to have renovated or else something turn key in the 400-450K range on a landscape-able lot. Not next to a business or on a noisy cul-de-sac. I would like to find something before it goes on the wider market. Any agent recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Mordecai should offer you something.
Also Boylan Heights, if you can find a lot you like.
Lots of bungalows in both those neighborhoods.
You might get something in Oakwood, which is very quiet in many areas. Figure $200/SF or more.

You might find something in Devereaux, Brooklyn, Cameron Park. But the price can run away from you there, too.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
got a niece that lives in Boylan Heights. AMAZING the price that some of those bungalos bring!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Yes, you do pay for the location. How can I find an agent who specializes in this area? I drove around some of these neighborhoods and love the fact that every house is different. Of course some do look like neglected rentals too, but hopefully that is changing.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
As a single senior, are there recommendations of places to move to a small SFH in the residential downtown area? I would love to find something affordable to have renovated or else something turn key in the 400-450K range on a landscape-able lot. Not next to a business or on a noisy cul-de-sac. I would like to find something before it goes on the wider market. Any agent recommendations?
If you are thinking about downtown Durham, you should definitely be able to find a house in that price range, some already landscaped. Popular downtown neighborhoods to check out would include Trinity Park, Duke Park, Old North Durham, Watts-Hillandale, Old West Durham, Morehead Hill, and Forest Hills. These are within walking/biking distance of downtown or the Ninth St. district. You should be able to find a small (800-1,500 sq. ft.) SFH anywhere from half of your price range the further you go from downtown (or if you look in more transitional areas) to right around your range.

If you aren't thinking about downtown Durham -- you should include it in your search, along with Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Raleigh is the largest of the core Triangle cities and has plenty of cultural activities, restaurants, etc. OTOH, NC State University based in Raleigh is an engineering/applied sciences-focused schools, and I would expect some of the more traditional learning in retirement programs or arts/humanities activities to be centered around Duke in Durham or UNC in Chapel Hill.

There are some very good realtors focused on the urban Durham market and other submarkets, but we can't give recommendations in posts (use private messages to ask folks if you are curious.)

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM

288 posts, read 361,121 times
It's refreshing to see somebody with a realistic budget for downtown real estate. You should be able to find a nice house in the 1,500 to 2,000 square foot range for between 400-450K. That's pretty much what you should expect to pay for something that is already fixed up in an established urban neighborhood.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am of course still grappling with whether the atmosphere and activities would be sufficient to balance out the high cost. As for Durham, I had not considered that, primarily because I don't know anyone who lives in DT Durham. I've driven through Trinity Park however and that area has really interesting architecture as well. Maybe I should explore a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary