Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 53,454 times

Advertisements

I am researching houses in the Garner/Willow Spring area ( close to ,and either just north or south of NC 42) as well as Wake Forest ( west of Capital Blvd.) my research criteria is as follows:
- 2200 to 2500 sq ft
-minimum 1/2 acre
- $260,000 to $300,000
there seems to be more housing available that meet my criteria in the Garner area then in the Wake Forest area- that is, prices seem to be higher for the same general type of house in Wake Forest. My question is why? is it the schools ? , taxes?, crime? Both of these areas are more or less equidistant from downtown Raleigh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Wake Forest is a more desirable area, generally speaking.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
Wake Forest is a generally nicer area with better proximity to RTP. Garner/WS are fine though and depending on where you work, maybe more advantageous. You would certainly get more house for your money on that side of town.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,962 times
The problem with Garner is, with the exception of one shopping center (White Oak), it still looks the same as it did 20 years ago. Unfortunately the older areas have become more run down. Parts of Garner proper have become a pretty rough hole. Not that I have anything against Garner I'm just merely stating my opinion.

Wake Forest has changed and grown substantially all for the better in the past 10 years.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,631 times
That is complete nonsense. Not sure where the rough hole supposedly is. Garner has doubled it's population since 2000. That's a freaking doubling in size in 14 years.

Have lived in Garner to 20+ years. It's a fantastic community. To say it's booming would be an understatement. You get all the benefits of a larger home for the money, but all the amenities of a large city because Raleigh is only 10 minutes away. Garner was also voted as an "All American City" in a national competition last year. Lake Benson and White deer park are premier parks in the Triangle area. The Garner Performing Arts Center has great shows in and of itself without needing to go to Raleigh.

Garner is a great place to live and play.

Here's the latest news letter... It does not represent a "hole".
http://www.garnernc.gov/Publications...14%20FINAL.pdf

Last edited by 2Loud; 11-10-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Garner was also voted as an "All American City" in a national competition last year.
I have absolutely no opinion on Garner, but I wouldn't really put much stock in the "All American City" thing. Fayetteville has won that numerous times.

In general Wake Forest is a more desirable area, but I do see quite a few folks post who are very happy in Garner. It's probably one of those things that you'll know which area is right for you when you see it.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
That is complete nonsense. Not sure where the rough hole supposedly is. Garner has doubled it's population since 2000. That's a freaking doubling in size in 14 years.

Have lived in Garner to 20+ years. It's a fantastic community. To say it's booming would be an understatement. You get all the benefits of a larger home for the money, but all the amenities of a large city because Raleigh is only 10 minutes away. Garner was also voted as an "All American City" in a national competition last year. Lake Benson and White deer park are premier parks in the Triangle area. The Garner Performing Arts Center has great shows in and of itself without needing to go to Raleigh.

Garner is a great place to live and play.

Here's the latest news letter... It does not represent a "hole".
http://www.garnernc.gov/Publications...14%20FINAL.pdf
How can you say my opinion is complete nonsense?

Nowhere did I state anything about Garner's population nor did I say it wasn't a good place to live. I agree White Deer park is fantastic. But none of this changes my opinion that Garner still looks the same to me as it did 20 years ago with the exception of a shopping center.

I am in Garner quite a bit and usually through different parts of the town so I have seen the deterioration of some areas. One area that specifically stands out to me is the areas surrounding W. Garner rd. towards Raleigh and the Creech rd. area. Notice in my first post I stated Garner proper. Looking at the map of Garner's town limits the area of which I am referring comprises appox. 20% of Garner.

The o.p. wanted to know why it was more expensive to live in Wake Forest over Garner. I merely stated my opinion why that is so. Again, I do not have any issues with Garner.

If you'd like to base the information on facts they can be gathered right from this website.
Garner's population has increased 50% in 14 years. However, Wake Forest's has increased 161%! Estimated median income in Garner is $59,797 whereas in Wake Forest it is $71,926.
Estimated median home value in Garner is $166,109 and Wake Forest is $252,173.

So now that the facts have been presented I think the o.p.'s question of "Why is it more expensive to live in Wake Forest over Garner" has been answered.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:59 AM

342 posts, read 388,030 times
The other reason Wake Forest is more expensive is that the schools are very good as well. There really isn't a bad school or one to avoid in this area. I find it convenient to all parts of the Triangle including Chapel Hill and Durham which is a haul from Garner. I can be most places is 30-35 minutes from Wake Forest. They both have a different feel, so go visit and see which one feels like home to you.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:21 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,734 times
Contrary to some opinions, all the reports I've read indicate that downtown Garner is a lot nicer than it was 10-20 years ago. It's quiet but it doesn't seem unsafe in any way. Taking Garner Rd into Raleigh is very industrial and a little run-down in places, but I find it hard to imagine that this is a recent development, and in any case, that whole area of "Garner proper" is a long way away from Rt 42 where the OP is looking.

That area is growing like crazy, with lots of retail along 42 and subdivisions cropping up on either side. There are also some great schools in the Cleveland area (Johnston County).

My impression is that Garner has a bad rep among some Triangle locals due to the way it was 10-20 years ago, but nowadays, it's mostly just a quiet town making the transition from country to suburb. And there's no other town so close to downtown Raleigh where you get as much house for your money.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM

528 posts, read 935,006 times
We have close friends who live in the Lake Benson area of Garner at Heather Woods. It is a wonderful family friendly area - beautiful homes, close proximity to the lake and to downtown Raleigh, shopping nearby and overall seems like a close knit family friendly community. They even have a local celebrity in the ranks. ;-) So for Garner, I think it very much depends on which area of town you live in - not unlike other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary