Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 AM

16 posts, read 16,219 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Triangle in March 2015 from Chicago. We are hoping to find a Real Estate Agent or Rental Property Agent that can help us find a home to rent. We will only be able to visit the area once to look for rental properties before we come down and we are hoping to find someone that can help us find possible properties that meet our needs that we can look at when we visit. We need a 3 bed/2 bath house that allows pets (we have a large dog and two cats). If anyone knows of anyone I can contact to help us in our rental search, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:47 AM

99 posts, read 335,597 times
I am also looking for a real estate or rental property agent in the Triangle area. Our relocation date is January 2,2015. We will be visiting early December to view homes and need a four bedroom house. We will be buying a home later, but need to rent to get to know the area. We have one dog. Also, are there websites specific to the area that list rental houses besides pad mapper and craigslist?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
See the comments by BoBromhal in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-referral.html

Based on a neighbor's experience with renting a house, you should be prepared to put down a deposit as soon as you see something your like. If you wait 2 hours to think about it, the house will be gone. There is a hot demand for good rentals from people like yourselves. It is apparently typical that the agent will not drive you around. They give out keys after you provide security, and you visit the house on your own.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks for info. With that in mind, when do you think would be the best time to visit if we plan to move around March first? We we're planning on coming in mid January. Do you think it would be better to push it back to February?

I really appreciate the help!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Many if not most realtors have no interest in rentals and you are on your own.

Be careful of Craigslist. Full of fraud scams.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Many if not most realtors have no interest in renta.n and you are on your own.

Be careful of Craigslist. Full of fraud scams.
Agents arent usually involved with rentals. Maybe on $$$$ houses but I have no experience with that. I used Zillow more then CL. CL is full of scams and b.s.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Agents arent usually involved with rentals. Maybe on $$$$ houses but I have no experience with that. I used Zillow more then CL. CL is full of scams and b.s.
Even on the higher end homes, the pay is usually very low still. Realtor.com is a better source of info compared to Zillow or Trulia. The info is updated a little faster from what I can see.

If you are looking to rent, you are better off going on Realtor.com and calling the agent on the sign. They are managing the home and can open the door for you. The pay on rentals is usually $50-$100 so most agents wont show them.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
the compensation for time and effort on rentals has improved (all the way to $200-500), but it is not like many other areas of the country where the agent receives reasonable compensation from the landlord/their agent of ~ 1 month rent.

If you're moving March 2015, a January trip is not too soon as long as you're committed to the possibility that you'd need to pay February rent for the home you wanted.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments

Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 AM

151 posts, read 404,838 times
Hey there. Agree with everyone here...I have a couple of properties that I rent out (neither is available at this minute)...and what I can tell ya is...I list them on postlets (which cross posts to zillow and a bunch of other sites) and I get 25-30 calls MINIMUM within 24 hrs of being listed. There is little to no incentive to use a realtor to do listings in this area. One of my properties rents for about $2k/mo the other $1.5k/mo.

A couple of recommendations:

1) if you're looking for a 3/1 rental and you don't want to pay Feb rent, start looking around 2/10. If you look earlier folks will require Feb rent because of supply and demand.
2) if you inquire on any website be short, sweet, and specific with whatever you reply with. Don't just accept the generic inquiry text on the websites. Always follow up with a phone call and again be short and sweet.

Just being honest with ya here, for me....from my side, it is very difficult to even return all of the emails and phone calls I got. Feel free to DM me if ya want any other advice on how landlords work around here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary