Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Some people in the building trades refer to hardwood siding as s--tboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:05 PM

170 posts, read 362,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You could have also pruned or removed the trees that are too close to the house.
Not these trees you couldn't. I also didn't want to take down trees that are 200 years old. Our home was built in 93 and back then the whole neighborhood had Masonite. There were over 1000 homes in the development and I don't know anyone who didn't have rot issues. Some weren't major but there is a reason why the company who sold it went bankrupt and is out of business.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Wow, people sided houses with Masonite? That's hard to believe.

My previous house had good old cedar shingles and they still look good after 90 years. Of course it had the advantage of many years of lead paint.

As far as vinyl goes, it's strictly an industrial product that will never look good, ever, but it'll never look worse than the first day. You'll need to own a power washer, though.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Wow, people sided houses with Masonite? That's hard to believe.

My previous house had good old cedar shingles and they still look good after 90 years. Of course it had the advantage of many years of lead paint.
As far as vinyl goes, it's strictly an industrial product that will never look good, ever, but it'll never look worse than the first day. You'll need to own a power washer, though.

Vinyl often looks worse than the 1st day. It warps, fades, cracks and sometimes gets chalky looking. In some cases it doesn't stay on the house!

Masonite (hardboard) was by far the most popular material in the late 70's through the early to mid 90's.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:08 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Come to think of it, I once saw a condo whose multistory side was bathed in sheets of vinyl lamely simulated vinyl siding. As if the world hadn't deteriorated enough.

The sheets were warping and curling in the sun like vinyl LPs.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM

248 posts, read 494,603 times
Vinyl can hold up well in certain climates or situations, for example if a home is well-shaded. I think it's the wrong thing to do in higher-end homes or in neighborhoods where other homes are replacing with fiber cement.

Cosmetics aside, one of the problems with vinyl is that its primary selling point is its biggest drawback: painting siding usually involves caulking around windows, inspecting or fixing flashing and so forth. Sometimes once someone invests in vinyl, they believe they're "done with maintenance", so sometimes other things get neglected. Painting over fiber cement or wood siding involves prep work that would bring issues to light before they get worse, if nothing else providing caulking and a paint seal over many nooks and crannies that are otherwise opportunities for water. With vinyl sometimes things go too long because of the complacency feeling that nothing needs to be looked at.

For similar reasons I'm not a big fan of piece-by-piece replacements of Masonite. If budget doesn't allow for whole-house siding replacement, it is better to do the entire side of a house at a time, because you get the opportunity to inspect the house wrap situation and potentially replace rotten sheathing underneath it, something that may not be possible replacing a board here or board there. Doing one side at a time is typically not a hugely expensive undertaking, and in the long run will be much cheaper than chasing down individual boards.

I've seen James Hardie siding that hasn't been painted in over 15 years that still looked great. However in reality a home with fiber cement should probably be painted every 10-12 years or so for the benefit of an overall caulk refresh even if the paint looks okay. Even if the condition of paint isn't perfect, primed and painted fiber cement really isn't going to ever rot/decay unless you have something like a situation where it is too close to a surface that gets a lot of splashing from rainwater and mud on it, etc.,

Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
The last 2 neighborhoods I lived in didn't allow vinyl siding. I will say that some of the newer versions of it look really good and its hard to tell they aren't hardi.

We had masonite on our last house...not really a big deal or expense as long as you keep it clean and maintained(caulked) and replace the few bad boards when you repaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary