Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Hi saturnfan,

I know your post was well-intended. We're a couple that definitely considered the financial side of children and it's just one of those things, that even if you can afford it (and thankfully we can), that you still just can't believe what a chunk of your paycheck it takes. Right now I stay at home, and my husband makes enough for all of us, but I will return to work within the next two years and even though we'll have plenty of money, no matter how many times I've seen the cost of daycare before, it never ceases to amaze me how much it really is.

My guess is, this is what people are talking about. The good thing is, most will pay the premium to ensure that their children are well-cared for!

Granted, there are folks who don't think about the financial consequences of children, but personally, I didn't get the vibe that these posters were like that. They could, for instance, opt not to work and take advantage of public assistance so they can stay home with their children but they're all working.

I agree with a pp who said that they give props to those daycare workers. What we pay as parents, on the flip side, really isnt' a lot of money to the daycare provider when you consider what goes into caring for children, particularly when there are several children to care for. It's a double-edged sword of sorts.
Public assistance isn't always required. Many times, it's a matter of balancing priorities.

In order to make one moderate salary work, we chose to live in a modest flat, drive a Corolla, and select a sort of marginal neighborhood.

You just need to decide what matters most and govern your life accordingly. I respect everyone's right to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Seems like some families elect to become parents although they don't seem to have the financial resources or time available because of their professional lives.

Perhaps these families should think hard before having children. It's not obligatory and definitely imposes a lot of responsibility.

My wife made her choice to be home for her kids and they both turned out great having completed college and getting good jobs with the great state of North Carolina.
I agree with you 100%! What really makes me shrug is the fact that I have to have a license to fish but any idiot can have a child!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,933 times
You are right to assume that. The upside is, inhome childcare may give your child a lot more personal attention than a center because inhome usually has only 5 or less children. Also because of that there is less risk of your child catching a bug. The thing is to check references and credentials. Another thing is to personally make an unannounced visit or have somone else do it. Ror example, when we had an inhome daycare business, my wife and I were former foster parents and had updated records on file with the authorities including fingerprints and background checked. Also my wife was an experienced care giver having worked in nursing at a hospital for many years. We both maintained current first aid and CPR certificates. You really should not judge people without having al of the facts. We saved our clients thousands of dollars per year comapred to a center. I hope this sheds some light on in-home care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
$1200-$1500 for Full-time care for 1 child under 1. Personally, I would stay away from home daycare situations. In a home setting there is no accountability. No second set of eyes watching what is going on and your baby is to little to tell you what is happening.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I have to say that these prices are on the whole more than I have experienced. Maybe it's because I have been looking at daycares in the Durham and Hillsborough areas rather than Raleigh? My daughter went to a 4 star center for $880 per month as an infant. The most expensive places I have looked at were 5 star centers that charged $1200-1250 for infants. We currently use a home provider and pay $650 per month for a 2 year old. We plan to send our infant to her next year, but I hadn't actually considered that she might charge more for the infant. Unlike a center where they can have more kids as they get older so can charge less, at a home daycare they still only can have 5 kids, period.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
If you work for a national company that has a large presence in the Triangle, you may qualify for a discount at certain daycares. The daycares will not be forthcoming with this information; so be sure to ask.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Does anyone know what the average cost of an au pair is in the area? Anyone ever used one before? I'd love some insider info if anyone has any to share...

Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Does anyone know what the average cost of an au pair is in the area? Anyone ever used one before? I'd love some insider info if anyone has any to share...
We had looked into it but it's been years now. I remember at the time though it was cheaper to use an au pair that to pay for two children in daycare but in the end we felt kind of funny about having someone live with us so we didn't do it.

We had neighbors in Charleston that had two different au pairs and they had a wonderful experience. They still keep in touch with both of them and have had them back to visit several times. They went through aupairamerica and that's who we were working with when we were looking into it.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM

75 posts, read 237,907 times
I pay $243 per week for my 2-year-old to go to a 5-star center. (That comes out to grater than $1000 per month on average.)

Everyone will have different priorities and that's OK. Also, what works for some families doesn't work for other families. I stayed home for over a year because as an infant, my daughter was not compatible with daycare. And that wasn't for a lack of trying, but I had to do what needed to be done to give her the best care possible.

Anyway, now that she's older, we spend 14% of our income on childcare. For comparison, 15% of our income is spent on our mortgage. These are where our priorities lie. Personally, I would rather drive a 13-year-old car and put my child in a 5-star center and than have a car payment and a different daycare setting. If we made more money, then we might have newer cars as well. I guess I'm trying to say that we 'sacrifice' what we think is less important, to get what we think is very important. And of course, if we made considerably less, I would stay home. And if I were single, I would have no choice but to work. This conversation could go on forever.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthrkub View Post
I pay $243 per week for my 2-year-old to go to a 5-star center. (That comes out to grater than $1000 per month on average.)

Everyone will have different priorities and that's OK. Also, what works for some families doesn't work for other families. I stayed home for over a year because as an infant, my daughter was not compatible with daycare. And that wasn't for a lack of trying, but I had to do what needed to be done to give her the best care possible.

Anyway, now that she's older, we spend 14% of our income on childcare. For comparison, 15% of our income is spent on our mortgage. These are where our priorities lie. Personally, I would rather drive a 13-year-old car and put my child in a 5-star center and than have a car payment and a different daycare setting. If we made more money, then we might have newer cars as well. I guess I'm trying to say that we 'sacrifice' what we think is less important, to get what we think is very important. And of course, if we made considerably less, I would stay home. And if I were single, I would have no choice but to work. This conversation could go on forever.
You are doing a good job of balancing priorities.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:27 PM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
For those of you considering at home childcare, my good friend is starting to watch one or two children in her home next month. She is a college grad, mother of 3(school age) children and her degree is in early childhood development. I don't know if she has filled her spots but if you are interested in her contact info pm me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary