Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 66,655 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we had to make a trip from Southpoint mall to Fuquay Varina late last year. We drove the toll road 540 South to Fuquay Varina. I realize now I could have just taken 55 most of the way, but experience can sometimes be the best teacher.

I just want to make sure I'm reading our Bill By Mail bill right, we owe $1.05 + $1.32 + $0.55 one way down to Fuquay-Varina! This is for toll points 5, 7, 9 down. And then 9, 7, 5, back up (another $2.92) for a total of $5.84. When I look on myncquickpass.com I see that we were charged for 'mainline' toll spots. Was I supposed to be charged for all 3 each way, so even if you take a quick hop onto 540 at say the "#7" point (aka Old 540, US1) you have to pay $1.32?

It looks like we weren't charged on any exit or entrance ramps. If someone could just provide a quick explanation on how the toll point location system works, and tell me if the charges add up correctly like above. And sorry if any of this is a silly question - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,274 times
They don't charge at each exit or entrance- there are just several stationary toll readers above the highway at certain mile markers.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,903 times
There is currently no toll at the 55 exit to head toward Fuquay since that is the end of the line. I imagine they will add a toll reader to the exit there once 540 is completed. Of course, they may not as there is a toll reader on 540 shortly before that exit. There are overhead toll readers at the exits for 64, Salem St in Apex as well as some others.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:24 PM

547 posts, read 774,765 times
Relocating down there next month, do u think it'd be a good idea to get EZPASS? I have one but the wife doesn't. Should I get her one to make her life easy? Are toll roads prevalent there?

Old 01-18-2015, 02:28 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Relocating down there next month, do u think it'd be a good idea to get EZPASS? I have one but the wife doesn't. Should I get her one to make her life easy? Are toll roads prevalent there?
They're not prevalent here. You'll have to make the ezpass determination based on where you'll live and work vs. taking a path with stop and go traffic. I have yet to use the toll road and have no plans on using it. I live and work off of hwy. 55.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,922 times
I see several in my area that bought rear-mounted big bicycle racks for their cars, and they don't own bikes.
I suspect the racks are "paid" for by now.

Oh well.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM

297 posts, read 740,472 times
Pjnugget, you can get EZPass if you like, especially if you plan to travel in other states on eastern seaboard, or you could buy a NC Pass. The transponder sticker is $5 and you can set it to recharge on your credit card automatically.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by <<M>> View Post
Hi All, we had to make a trip from Southpoint mall to Fuquay Varina late last year. We drove the toll road 540 South to Fuquay Varina. I realize now I could have just taken 55 most of the way, but experience can sometimes be the best teacher.
You could have also taken NC 55 to US 64 to NC 751 to get to the mall. The cost per mile to travel the entire length of the toll road isn't cheap, but I guess it depends on what one makes and how much they value their time, so it's all relative in the end!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I see several in my area that bought rear-mounted big bicycle racks for their cars, and they don't own bikes.

Oh well.

If they can't make out your plate number, they will guess and send the bill to the holder of THAT number. Ask me how I know! I've received several erroneous bills in a year or so.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:51 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

Oh well.
If you're going to use the road, own up and pay the tolls. Don't be a turkey about it.

Covering your vehicle tags to prevent "bill by mail" is illegal per GS 20-63.g:
Quote:
(g) Alteration, Disguise, or Concealment of Numbers.

Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall willfully mutilate, bend, twist, cover or cause to be covered or partially covered by any bumper, light, spare tire, tire rack, strap, or other device, or who shall paint, enamel, emboss, stamp, print, perforate, or alter or add to or cut off any part or portion of a registration plate or the figures or letters thereon, or who shall place or deposit or cause to be placed or deposited any oil, grease, or other substance upon such registration plates for the purpose of making dust adhere thereto, or who shall deface, disfigure, change, or attempt to change any letter or figure thereon, or who shall display a number plate in other than a horizontal upright position, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall willfully cover or cause to be covered any part or portion of a registration plate or the figures or letters thereon by any device designed or intended to prevent or interfere with the taking of a clear photograph of a registration plate by a traffic control or toll collection system using cameras commits an infraction and shall be penalized under G.S. 14-3.1.

Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall otherwise intentionally cover any number or registration renewal sticker on a registration plate with any material that makes the number or registration renewal sticker illegible commits an infraction and shall be penalized under G.S. 14-3.1.

Any operator of a motor vehicle who covers any registration plate with any frame or transparent, clear, or color-tinted cover that makes a number or letter included in the vehicle's registration, the State name on the plate, or a number or month on the registration renewal sticker on the plate illegible commits an infraction and shall be penalized under G.S. 14-3.1.
Source:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...0/GS_20-63.pdf
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14/GS_14-3.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary