Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times

Advertisements

Yikes glad I live on the north loop. Couldn't afford to drive down there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Relocating down there next month, do u think it'd be a good idea to get EZPASS? I have one but the wife doesn't. Should I get her one to make her life easy? Are toll roads prevalent there?
It's the only toll road in the entire area and if it's neither near where you live nor your daily driving desitnations, you will probably never use it.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's the only toll road in the entire area and if it's neither near where you live nor your daily driving desitnations, you will probably never use it.
If nobody used it, the bonds would default ending the toll monster before it could spread.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I see several in my area that bought rear-mounted big bicycle racks for their cars, and they don't own bikes.
I suspect the racks are "paid" for by now.

Oh well.
How do you know they don't own bikes. I ride 2-4 times a week (and as mentioned elsewhere, try to haul my bike to a quieter place to ride) so I keep my rack on all the time (just throw the bike on, rather than take 20 minutes each time to mount the rack). FWIW, I've only been on the toll road a few times, it just doesn't figure into most of my driving. (In other words, I've had the rack since about 2004, and it stays on my car. It did then, and it does now. Not trying to avoid tolls.)

@pjnugget: Having a transponder or not does not effect the convenience of the drive, just the price. Everything is no-cash, so you do the same thing with or without a pass. You just get charged a lot more, and have to pay online or by mail if you don't have a pass, so that is less convenient.

Also, if you are moving from the NE, then it might make sense to get the EZ pass, to make trips back home easier too. Just guessing....

Old 01-19-2015, 07:23 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
Pjnugget, you can get EZPass if you like, especially if you plan to travel in other states on eastern seaboard, or you could buy a NC Pass. The transponder sticker is $5 and you can set it to recharge on your credit card automatically.
But the NC Quickpass stickers will not work anywhere but here, whereas the NC hard transponders will work in every toll system in the US and are the only ones that can at least for now. The EZ Pass will work here fine.

There are some states that are cheaper to get the pass than others if you go looking. the ones here are $20 or $25 but some states give them for free I think. But EZ passes will not work in some areas though.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM

547 posts, read 775,335 times
Yeah I have an EZPass already, may make sense to just use that one when we travel back home since it sounds like only really the 540 toll road is where it's at.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But the NC Quickpass stickers will not work anywhere but here, whereas the NC hard transponders will work in every toll system in the US and are the only ones that can at least for now. The EZ Pass will work here fine.
Not quite correct. The NC stickers also work with Florida's SunPass and Georgia's Peach Pass. The NC hard cases work with E-ZPass, SunPass, and Peach Pass, which is a very solid network but not "every toll system in the US".

We have an E-ZPass transponder through WV...$5 annual fee but you get free passage at the North Beckley barrier and 35% off other tolls. As long we visit my in-laws twice a year, it pays for itself, not to mention the convenience there and everywhere else we can use it in our travels.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
How do you know they don't own bikes. .
The folks are obese, unhealthy and have NO BICYCLES in their garage.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Not quite correct. The NC stickers also work with Florida's SunPass and Georgia's Peach Pass. The NC hard cases work with E-ZPass, SunPass, and Peach Pass, which is a very solid network but not "every toll system in the US".

We have an E-ZPass transponder through WV...$5 annual fee but you get free passage at the North Beckley barrier and 35% off other tolls. As long we visit my in-laws twice a year, it pays for itself, not to mention the convenience there and everywhere else we can use it in our travels.

I have not researched all the details, but the NC Turnpike authority people seem to claim it works everywhere and I have seen more than one article in various new sources making similar claims. One was local and one more national, talking about how the NC system was the first and somehow providing a roadmap on how to get others to work. I di know that while it was technically possible always, it took passing of a law restricting access to the records before they were able to get on board with the other systems.

I guess I need to check around and see. I wonder what areas out west such as Texas, California and Washington st use?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:29 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,934 times
NC QuickPass is unique in that it supports both E-ZPass and SunPass...those two don't even support each other directly. Peach Pass just got added late last year...full interoperability among Quick Pass, SunPass, and Peach Pass. NC needs to update its site though...there's no mention of Peach Pass on there even though the interoperability agreement was announced back in November by Georgia and Florida and widely covered by the media.

But no, NC Quick Pass does not currently work with many other systems like TxTag, California's FastTak, etc. I don't know whether the incompatibilities are primarily technological (harder to solve) or just related to a lack of inter-governmental agreements (easier to solve, in theory). Fortunately, E-ZPass is a big network, so most of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic states and even out as far as Illinois are included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary