Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,021 times

Advertisements

Thanks all, I was able to find another route that did not have any tolls to go through! Appreciate all the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,611,269 times
In the 3+ years I've lived in Raleigh, I've never had to take the toll road. If it's not part of your daily commute and you don't have to drive around during rush hour, there are alternate ways around it (though longer)

Old 01-12-2018, 04:16 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,877,920 times
me either, and the setting on Waze helps

Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 AM

346 posts, read 340,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
In the 3+ years I've lived in Raleigh, I've never had to take the toll road. If it's not part of your daily commute and you don't have to drive around during rush hour, there are alternate ways around it (though longer)
Give me a sec to hop back on my soapbox ... alright ... I don’t think these toll roads are an efficient utilization of resources. Not some Tea party crazy but I pay a fair amount of state taxes (federal too) and still see absolutely no reason tax money can’t be used for open roads which are literally veins of our local and national economies. In my mind it’s a double taxation scheme.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM

7,192 posts, read 6,857,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Give me a sec to hop back on my soapbox ... alright ... I don’t think these toll roads are an efficient utilization of resources. Not some Tea party crazy but I pay a fair amount of state taxes (federal too) and still see absolutely no reason tax money can’t be used for open roads which are literally veins of our local and national economies. In my mind it’s a double taxation scheme.
NCDOT would've had the money to build it without tolls if they had not blown it on other less needed projects, such as I-73.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,741,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
I hear what you are saying, but NC has a lot of roads compared to other states. Gotta support them rural areas and there are a good number of roads that some people think are city owned, but they aren't -- it's the NCDOT (Glenwood, Hillsborough Street, etc). I don't agree with it, but yeah, it's terrible. I'll gladly pay that toll though to have the road sooner and save me time getting to work.

At some point the entire funding structure is going to have to radically change as methods of transit shift.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I hear what you are saying, but NC has a lot of roads compared to other states. Gotta support them rural areas and there are a good number of roads that some people think are city owned, but they aren't -- it's the NCDOT (Glenwood, Hillsborough Street, etc). I don't agree with it, but yeah, it's terrible. I'll gladly pay that toll though to have the road sooner and save me time getting to work.

At some point the entire funding structure is going to have to radically change as methods of transit shift.
Toll roads require dramatically less funding (theoretically none at all) so projects can get done quicker.

If you don't want to pay tolls, maybe we can increase the taxes or fees that we do already pay so that we can get all the necessary infrastructure projects that we do.

People like to complain about tax increases but the reality is that the majority of the public systems that we do use are not adequately funded by the taxes that we already pay.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Toll roads require dramatically less funding (theoretically none at all) so projects can get done quicker.

If you don't want to pay tolls, maybe we can increase the taxes or fees that we do already pay so that we can get all the necessary infrastructure projects that we do.

People like to complain about tax increases but the reality is that the majority of the public systems that we do use are not adequately funded by the taxes that we already pay.
Yeah, I know. I'm usually the one defending toll roads on here. I don't know why you're yelling at me. I even said in my post I'm glad to pay the toll to get where I need to go. I was trying to sympathize to an extent with the other poster.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Yeah, I know. I'm usually the one defending toll roads on here. I don't know why you're yelling at me. I even said in my post I'm glad to pay the toll to get where I need to go. I was trying to sympathize to an extent with the other poster.
I guess I need to start replying to the right post or people think I'm yelling at them.......I just picked yours because it was at the end and I was adding on to the conversation.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:50 PM
DPK

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary