Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 PM

527 posts, read 686,940 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned this before here, but since I got married, I got really into paper - started frequenting If It's Paper in Ridgewood, PaperBuzz in North Hills, and visited Paper Source in Charlotte.

I'm staring to play with the idea of potentially opening a card/specialty paper shop, but feel like I should start with a pop-up shop, at shows, or working for someone else. Any ideas on where to start? Anyone have any experience with something like this in the past? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 9,475 times
First of all, it's "Stationery" with an "e"....

Also, do you want to do custom stationery or have a variety of items you just reproduce? I don't think opening an actual store front would be a financially sound decision. You can offer everything online and spend some time at local events on weekends if that's your thing. Make sure your skills are at an adequate level as well. I would recommend looking into some classes to sharpen any skills you may be lacking.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 PM

^^ Woops, yes, yes it's stationery with an e.

I think custom would be a part of my business - I think an online store would be a really great idea. Part of my concern is how important being able to touch and weigh paper in your hands is. Do you think people would buy their paper/postcards/monograms sight unseen?

Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
I buy all my stationery online. Once you know what a good weight feels like, you can just order the weight you want.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:11 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Print is dead--or dying. Though, there will always be a niche market.

I used to work for one of the world's biggest "social expression" greeting card companies in the world. In 23 years, I saw their revenue drop by almost 1/2, due mainly to mobile and online apps and due to increases in first-class postage. You're facing future generations of consumers where paper will no longer even be considered. Amazon, EBay, etc. will slowly consume the little guy.

Everybody likes to get physical mail. Handwritten on high-quality paper, hand addressed, stamped, etc., but nobody wants to send them.

You're going to have a tough row to hoe going forward. Just my 2 cents. . .

Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
For the last year, I have been buying cardstock here:

Paperworks

Good prices. Good communication. Free freight.
That is the sort of bulk competition out there, so I think the custom niche is important.
And, I tend to agree with Adams. I wonder if you could find a margin and volume to support a business.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Any ideas on where to start?
Schedule an appt with the folks at SCORE (score.org). They can help review your business plan and give advice on if/how to proceed.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Schedule an appt with the folks at SCORE (score.org). They can help review your business plan and give advice on if/how to proceed.
Also the NC Small Business & Technology Development Center. It's free for a business consultation.

I know that M Herget was a locally-owned, very nice stationer here in Raleigh for many years, but they went out of business in the past few years. I think that says a lot--also there was a nice stationery store at Cameron Village that I used to go to that is also now gone.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Some of this is very very interesting - I've only been here since grad school and I had no idea that Cameron Village had a shop.

The Paperworks site is really interesting as well!! Ahh so much info!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Yes, there have been several paper goods shops that have closed in the recent past. It's kind of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary