Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM

115 posts, read 230,568 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're considering relocating to Raleigh/Cary area and I have a trip planned in April.

We are Starwood members so I'm looking at staying at a W, Sheraton, Westin, etc. Is there a Starwood hotel in Downtown, or close to it, in a good area? After spending the day going around North Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc. I'd like to be able to go back to the hotel and walk around Raleigh and get a drink.

I know nothing about the area, so where should I stay? Where should I stay away from??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
well, there is a Sheraton smack in the middle of downtown Raleigh. I haven't stayed at a room there in years, though I do know they're at some stage of remodeling (heck, they might have finished a year or even 2 ago).

I'd expect the Marriot nearby, being less than 10 years old, would be much nicer.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
There is a Sheraton in downtown Raleigh on Salisbury Street, a couple of blocks from the convention center. I *think* its the only Starwood property in downtown. I stayed at the Marriott a couple of blocks away last March and I think the location is fine. I found downtown Raleigh to be very quiet (as in very few people out on the street), with lots of pretty aggressive panhandlers. There are fair number of restaurants and bars with 3 to 4 blocks of the Sheraton.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:52 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
Sheraton and Marriott are pretty much the only hotels smack in the middle of Downtown on Fayetteville St. Sheraton is much older but both are nice and right next to each other.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
April is *probably* too early for downtown Durham's 21c or Aloft. Too bad -- 21c is a small chain that's usually at the top of Conde Nast's list; never had a chance to stay in one. I think it's a May debut for 21c, June for Aloft? Hotel Durham, a new boutique in downtown, *might* be open in April.

Skip the downtown Durham Marriott.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:53 PM

52 posts, read 59,858 times
We stay at the Marriott City Center when we "staycation". We have never stayed at the Sheraton, but the Marriott is newer and has better reviews online.
They are right next door to each other, so distance to walking to things would be the same. If you want any downtown dining recs I'd be more than happy to help!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:40 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
The Marriott and Sheraton are right next to each other,as already stated. One is just as nice as the other, I've stayed in both recently. The Marriott is newer,but the Sheraton has recently been remodeled.

Whatever you do don't stay at the Double Tree. Not officially DT but close enough. I've stayed there twice recently. The first night was so bad they gave us a free night. The second was worse than the first.

Haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn, or Hampton Inn. Days Inn not even worth mentioning.

Plenty of places to walk and get a drink also both Marriott and Sheraton have nice bars and restaurants on site. Good luck exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary