Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Cary is for stuck up Stepford wife types.

My area of North Raleigh is diverse with little racial tension. However, there was a recent case out in the country where a young black man may have been lynched because of dating a white woman. He was found hanging from a swing set and the death was ruled suicide. It seems impossible that this is true and the family is pressing for an investigation.

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are good areas that have great race relations along with accepting LGBT residents.

Be aware pay can be much less than in other areas. This is an anti-union right to work for less state.

Good luck.
There's no real racial tension to speak of in Cary. My daughter's group of best friends consists of one white girl, one black girl, one Indian girl, and my daughter is mixed (Chinese-Caucasian). Honestly, saturnfan. We live in Cary and I'm assuming you haven't spent much time here. Most of my female friends who live in Cary have careers.

Stepford Wives. LOL. Whatever, man.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
There's no real racial tension to speak of in Cary. My daughter's group of best friends consists of one white girl, one black girl, one Indian girl, and my daughter is mixed (Chinese-Caucasian). Honestly, saturnfan. We live in Cary and I'm assuming you haven't spent much time here. Most of my female friends who live in Cary have careers.

Stepford Wives. LOL. Whatever, man.
I worked with a very nice Muslim man from Pakistan who left Cary because he was not welcomed.

Certainly, Cary is not bigoted like the case I cited in the country, but it has won a reputation of repressive HOA's enforcing the holy grail of property values.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Quote:
I worked with a very nice Muslim man from Pakistan who left Cary because he was not welcomed.

Certainly, Cary is not bigoted like the case I cited in the country, but it has won a reputation of repressive HOA's enforcing the holy grail of property values.
My husband is from India, our best friends are from Pakistan and they very happy here. My daughter's closest friend is a muslim girl form Jordan. My central Cary neighborhood is extremely diverse, not just racially but also internationally, socioeconomically, age, family structure and even sexuality.
I don't know know any stepford wives here, that's about as degrading as calling someone a racially charged name. There is also great diversity in what women do in Cary from being stay at home moms to single working moms, to students to small business owners to presidents of corporations. I don't notice any overt racial concerns here, my kids have friends in their schools of all races. Some parts of Cary are more diverse than others but that doesn't mean there are poor racial relations there.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I haven't seen them turning Pakistanis away at the town limits, saturnfan.

I'm sorry your coworker in whatever year it was wasn't welcome in his particular Cary neighborhood, but honestly... there are Muslims aplenty around here and they don't seem to be scouring the real estate listings trying to figure out how to get out of this "oppressive" town.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
My husband is from India, our best friends are from Pakistan and they very happy here. My daughter's closest friend is a muslim girl form Jordan. My central Cary neighborhood is extremely diverse, not just racially but also internationally, socioeconomically, age, family structure and even sexuality.
I don't know know any stepford wives here, that's about as degrading as calling someone a racially charged name. There is also great diversity in what women do in Cary from being stay at home moms to single working moms, to students to small business owners to presidents of corporations. I don't notice any overt racial concerns here, my kids have friends in their schools of all races. Some parts of Cary are more diverse than others but that doesn't mean there are poor racial relations there.
I agree 100%, lamishra.

We live over near SAS/Weston Parkway area, and our smallish neighborhood contains people from various racial and ethnic backgrounds. Everyone seems to be getting along just fine. My daughter, as I mentioned before, has friends from a wide variety of backgrounds as well. My son (he's at GHHS) reports a variety there, though we realize that the majority are white kids.

I've really never sensed any of this extreme racism that saturnfan is trying to imply and I've lived in Cary for YEARS with kids who are mixed race. My ex lives in Cary. His family live here. Cary has a huge Asian population (to include SouthEast Asians), and I doubt it's because they're not welcome.

I have a good many friends, neighbors, and coworkers who are black (from varying nationalities there, too) that live in Cary and I don't hear any of them complaining about overt, regular racism. I doubt there's ANYWHERE in America that you will NEVER find any racism, but that's about like looking for a place here where you'll never encounter any sexism or any other sort of discrimination. I doubt such a magical place exists.

But, to be worried about Cary if you're a black woman? No way. It's a safe town. And it's reasonably diverse, especially if you choose a diverse neighborhood.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree 100%, lamishra.

We live over near SAS/Weston Parkway area, and our smallish neighborhood contains people from various racial and ethnic backgrounds. Everyone seems to be getting along just fine. My daughter, as I mentioned before, has friends from a wide variety of backgrounds as well. My son (he's at GHHS) reports a variety there, though we realize that the majority are white kids.

I've really never sensed any of this extreme racism that saturnfan is trying to imply and I've lived in Cary for YEARS with kids who are mixed race. My ex lives in Cary. His family live here. Cary has a huge Asian population (to include SouthEast Asians), and I doubt it's because they're not welcome.

I have a good many friends, neighbors, and coworkers who are black (from varying nationalities there, too) that live in Cary and I don't hear any of them complaining about overt, regular racism. I doubt there's ANYWHERE in America that you will NEVER find any racism, but that's about like looking for a place here where you'll never encounter any sexism or any other sort of discrimination. I doubt such a magical place exists.

But, to be worried about Cary if you're a black woman? No way. It's a safe town. And it's reasonably diverse, especially if you choose a diverse neighborhood.
I never implied overt racism in Cary. My point was the over-regulation of homeowners depriving them, in many cases, of even being able to choose the color for their mailbox. That's why Cary may be a poor choice for some people who like to be free in using their property.

No offense intended. You know what many think of my area off Capital Blvd.

By the way, when my dad moved into a neighborhood in LI (1949), a cross was burned on our front lawn. Seems some people didn't like his religion.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I never implied overt racism in Cary. My point was the over-regulation of homeowners depriving them, in many cases, of even being able to choose the color for their mailbox. That's why Cary may be a poor choice for some people who like to be free in using their property.

By the way, when my dad moved into a neighborhood in LI (1949), a cross was burned on our front lawn. Seems some people didn't like his religion.
All the mailboxes in my neighborhood are wrought iron. Easy to avoid the "mailbox paint" issue. I recommend that for all neighborhoods that have mailboxes out front. LOL.

I don't think that having uniform mailboxes is oppressive. And yes, people do care if something bizarre will affect their property values (particularly in neighborhoods where they've got more to lose from a dollars and cents perspective by having something odd going on in the neighborhood).

One can live in Cary in a non-HOA neighborhood. There are some nice ones if one is willing to purchase an older home. Plenty of diversity in home styles, lots of mature landscaping, etc. One need only look and find them.

Wanting a brand-new neighborhood without an HOA is going to disappoint people who move to pretty much any new neighborhood in the Triangle, but that's not just Cary. That's everywhere.

We have an HOA and I sense absolutely nothing oppressive about it. Our neighbors keep their lawns mowed, their yards tidy, they don't have old sofas on their porches, and we don't have roads full of cars that make it impossible to drive down them (for residents OR emergency vehicles). None of my neighbors has a car on their front lawn. None of them have let all the paint peel off their house without bothering to repaint it. There are no loose animals out terrorizing the neighbors while they are enjoying their property. Not to say you'd find any of that in a non-HOA neighborhood... but, you might. One never knows.

In short, I think that HOA neighborhoods can be a good thing for all involved. The HOA is what you make it. Think your HOA is too oppressive? Get yourself on the board and change things. It's not like people have no say in who is on the board or what rules are enforced/created/or abandoned.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Quote:

So....some HOA's in Cary don't allow you to pick the color of your mailbox (AND, fyi, the town of Cary does NOT REGULATE home color or mailbox color) how does that even have anything to do with the OP's questions? My house and mailbox can be whatever color I want it to be. I'm not following the logic.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:46 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'm not following the logic.
? There was logic in something he posted? I only see ramblings.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:48 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydiva40 View Post
I am currently living in an area riddlied with racism. I am a single black female, considering moving to Cary. I read that Cary has an adequate number of blacks living there and that it is one of the safest city in the US. I also came across articles about KKK activity and racial activity from other citizens. I honestly believe there is nowhere a black person can live without having to deal with racism. With that said, I would love to hear from black residents about what it is like to live in Cary. I would also like to know which area is best and safer for blacks. I've had a number of white people up here rave about how good the area of Cary is, but as I said earlier, this area is riddled with racist and what they veiw as being good for them, may not be good for me.
There's nothing wrong with Cary (some like it, some don't) but you might want to consider North Raleigh as well which is also a very diverse area and I've never seen or heard about any KKK or racial activity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary