Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times

Advertisements

It's legal if people related to the owners in the main residence live in the detached building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
But what the city doesn't know won't hurt. I know a guy that has two of his older kids living in his backyard in small storage building conversions. Each building complete with kitchen galley and bath. I hear there's plans for a third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM

138 posts, read 154,248 times
Appreciate all the responses and info thus far. Thought about apartment living, but feel that best left for those who are looking for something short term. Besides, rent is outrageous right now, in my opinion. Want to own a home, but looking to scale down and simplify in order to reduce time spent maintaining a home. Want one level in order to age in place as long as possible before heading off to assisted living facility whenever that may be required. Looking to reduce overall costs in order to give more breathing room in the budget after we retire (maintenance, utilities, taxes, etc.). Just the two of us and thinking around 800 feet should surface, as long as there is outdoor living space and a workshop/shed. Went driving around this weekend to scout out various areas.

It appears southern wake county near garner/clayton border gives the best value and the quiet we desire. We're not into shopping, so that is not important to us. Just need a grocery store nearby. When other things are needed, we won't mind a 15-20 min. drive to medical care, hardware stores, clothing, etc. We are in the process of gradually releasing more and more of our possessions that we've accumulated over 40 years of marriage and 2 kids and are moving to a more minimalist style of living. Honestly, this step alone has made us realize how content we could be with less square footage.

The only nagging thought we have about southern wake county is where the final route of 540 will be, making purchasing in that area a bit risky, I think. Can anyone offer any information on that area of the county and which areas to take a closer look at or to avoid? We are trying to stay under $160k in order to create low payments after our down payment. Husband is also facing a possible layoff…lots of rumors and meetings and movements that look suspicious and foreboding. Another reason, again, to downsize and make things more manageable financially.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 PM

138 posts, read 154,248 times
Checked out Brentwood, Belvidere, and some of the other areas suggested, and while the locations are great as far as access to highways and shopping, it doesn't seem a good fit for us, nor does a townhome. Some areas were beyond our desired budget. Brentwood had some very nice brick ranches, just the type of home we are looking for. But, while driving through there, it seemed there were more than just a few homes that looked like they weren't maintained, some were even what appeared to be a bit downtrodden. That's not normally as big an issue if the homes are a bit further apart, but when the homes are that close, it matters. It's a shame, though, because some of the homes in that area were very nice. It seems like a lot of people in that area do care, and do maintain their homes.

However, I think we are better suited to semi-rural living…a bit more space between houses, quieter surroundings, etc. My husband also wants a wired workshop out back for tinkering in his spare time. It seems like the southern Wake County areas could really be a good fit for us and could fit our budget, but the uncertainty of where 540 will go through makes finalizing a location difficult. We have done some scouting in that area, and found some that would fit the budget, have the space, the quiet, and the workshop. Just hesitant right now until they commit to a route for 540. But, with a possible layoff in the not too distant future, there is some urgency to downsize and reduce expenses so that we won't have to touch our retirement savings and can make it until Social Security and Medicare will kick in (about 5 more years).

If anyone has been in a similar situation, or knows someone who has, and share some helpful information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,626,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I've been investigating small home living and minimalism for a few years now -- I even posted a thread on it here months ago.

Not sure about options in the Triangle (I am moving there myself from upstate NY in April), but there are tons of house plans out there of all varieties (just find an available lot you like and build) and many prefab and on-site builder options.

Perfect Little House - Small House Plans | Perfect Little House
Thanks for the link! I really like most of those house designs.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,990 times
3converted tobacco barns for sale in Flowers Plantation. Buy all 3. Then rent out 2.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
3converted tobacco barns for sale in Flowers Plantation. Buy all 3. Then rent out 2.
1114 Neuse River Parkway, Clayton, NC 27527 - MLS# 1974425 | CENTURY 21

Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
I think southern wake county is a good choice. I live off Garner rd and there are several houses going towards Clayton that fit your criteria. They aren't considered Garner but Raleigh after you go past Jones Sausage Rd. Rural looking area yet minutes to White Oak shopping center,which is a God send to us living out here.

I suggested Belvidere Park earlier but since you have later posted more info I can see why that wouldn't fit the bill. Prices are much higher there then Garner etc.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The problem with ultra small houses is they are cheap. Being cheap means certain socio-economic groups tend to own them. You're not going to find the well to do single or married retired couple that take really good care of their homes living in an 800-1000 sq ft home in most areas, except maybe Washington DC, NYC and LA (due to home prices).
This is so true! If you buy in the Raleigh area and pay less than $150,000 you're probably going to have some unsavory neighbors. Remember the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
This is so true! If you buy in the Raleigh area and pay less than $150,000 you're probably going to have some unsavory neighbors. Remember the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".
Anyone remember the Raleigh that didn't consider you unsavory if you paid less then 150k for a house? When people whine about transplants,yuppies,luxury apartments etc.. It's really because they miss this. I'm willing to bet a good portion of posters on here think if you rent or your house isn't at least 300k you might as well be in the projects. Tisk tisk.......

Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Anyone remember the Raleigh that didn't consider you unsavory if you paid less then 150k for a house? When people whine about transplants,yuppies,luxury apartments etc.. It's really because they miss this. I'm willing to bet a good portion of posters on here think if you rent or your house isn't at least 300k you might as well be in the projects. Tisk tisk.......
That is the story everywhere, due to the huge run up in home prices since early 2000's. It's even worse the further north you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary