Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times

Advertisements

Our house is 1300 sqft and I love it. Less to clean and maintain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:09 PM

138 posts, read 154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
This is so true! If you buy in the Raleigh area and pay less than $150,000 you're probably going to have some unsavory neighbors. Remember the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".
After spending the last couple of weekends looking around at what $150k will get us, we came away from the experience not very encouraged at all. Grizzmeister appears to be correct for the most part. "Unsavory neighbors, unkempt homes and/or yards, lots of cars, near train tracks, 540 potentially less than a mile away, etc., etc.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post
After spending the last couple of weekends looking around at what $150k will get us, we came away from the experience not very encouraged at all. Grizzmeister appears to be correct for the most part. "Unsavory neighbors, unkempt homes and/or yards, lots of cars, near train tracks, 540 potentially less than a mile away, etc., etc.
If you want to live in a place that you can purchase for $150k, and feel comfortable there, you need to live in an area where $150k is quite a bit of money to the local economy.

Raleigh's median income is somewhere near $60k or so (C-D could tell you on their stats page). With that income, most purchase at the peak of their borrowing ability and as such homes in the $200k-$250k are the norm.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:34 PM

138 posts, read 154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you want to live in a place that you can purchase for $150k, and feel comfortable there, you need to live in an area where $150k is quite a bit of money to the local economy.

Raleigh's median income is somewhere near $60k or so (C-D could tell you on their stats page). With that income, most purchase at the peak of their borrowing ability and as such homes in the $200k-$250k are the norm.
Never thought of it that way. Good thought. Staying in our 2000 square foot ranch on a wooded 1 acre lot, while more work and maintenance than we would like to have, is starting to look better all the time.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 PM

304 posts, read 369,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post
Never thought of it that way. Good thought. Staying in our 2000 square foot ranch on a wooded 1 acre lot, while more work and maintenance than we would like to have, is starting to look better all the time.
I guess I'm confused about your goals. I thought you were willing to look at places like Clayton? I just did a quick search and saw a 1200sqft home in a small Clayton neighborhood listed at $109k. Quick drive through using Google maps didn't reveal it as Beverly Hills, but it wasn't a slum either by any means.

The $150k comment by the earlier poster related to Raleigh. The further from Raleigh you're willing to move, the more you can get for your money. And for most people of retirement/downsizing age, commuting to the main rat race areas are usually not high priority.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:48 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Anyone remember the Raleigh that didn't consider you unsavory if you paid less then 150k for a house? When people whine about transplants,yuppies,luxury apartments etc.. It's really because they miss this. I'm willing to bet a good portion of posters on here think if you rent or your house isn't at least 300k you might as well be in the projects. Tisk tisk.......
Must be a Raleigh thing/Wake County thing. Or you know people with odd standards for value judgments. I have no idea of what my neighbors paid for their houses, and I paid way under 150K for mine; pretty sure I wouldn't be considered unsavory for it - more likely it was one of the more financially responsible things I've done

I think you have it backwards, as transplants generally marvel at how much more than can get for their money here as opposed to there. Sorry - can't blame transplants for this one.

Last edited by NM posts; 02-24-2015 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: Weird phrasing; not enough coffee

Old 02-24-2015, 05:58 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
When I watch those TV shows about tiny homes I always come away thinking how impractical they are. To my mind, the ranch homes that were popular during the 50's and 60's here in the U.S. make much more sense. In countries like Japan and South Korea many people live in sub 800 square foot apartments which in the long run is probably even better for the environment.

When I lived up in Maryland I had over 3,500 sq ft, then I downsized when I moved to Wake Forest to about 2,000 sq ft. My next home, which my wife and I plan to build custom, will probably only be around 1,500 sq ft. That's enough space to live like real human beings yet not spend a fortune annually on things like maintenance and utilities. We're not just trying to get small but rather hoping to be more efficient.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Must be a Raleigh thing/Wake County thing. Or you know people with odd standards for value judgments. I have no idea of what my neighbors paid for their houses, and I paid way under 150K for mine; pretty sure I wouldn't be considered unsavory for it - more likely it was one of the more financially responsible things I've done

I think you have it backwards, as transplants generally marvel at how much more than can get for their money here as opposed to there. Sorry - can't blame transplants for this one.
It's not my feeling or value judgement. Did you read the quoted post above my comment. I was responding to someone who said that if your house is under 150k you probably have unsavory neighbors. Their words not mine. Just wanted to clear that up.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
It's not my feeling or value judgement. Did you read the quoted post above my comment. I was responding to someone who said that if your house is under 150k you probably have unsavory neighbors. Their words not mine. Just wanted to clear that up.
That person was referring to housing prices...I think.

You said that people whine about transplants because transplants consider you unsavory for paying less than 150K for a house.

Quote:
Anyone remember the Raleigh that didn't consider you unsavory if you paid less then 150k for a house? When people whine about transplants,yuppies,luxury apartments etc.. It's really because they miss this. I'm willing to bet a good portion of posters on here think if you rent or your house isn't at least 300k you might as well be in the projects. Tisk tisk.......
My point is that I've not heard that from fellow transplants and if anything they marvel at the idea that you can get a house at that price at all that's not a shack or money pit - so blaming transplants for that attitude would be incorrect.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
My next home, which my wife and I plan to build custom, will probably only be around 1,500 sq ft. That's enough space to live like real human beings yet not spend a fortune annually on things like maintenance and utilities. We're not just trying to get small but rather hoping to be more efficient.
Some of us heathens can get by perfectly happy with about half that much Griz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary