Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:26 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,646,483 times

Advertisements

Many cities use the international residential code which allows very small houses. One room of 120 sf, plus a bathroom with certain clearances that can be easily accomplished under 40 sf. Any requirements for larger houses would be a zoning issue.

Apartments, btw, have a minimum room size of 150 sf. I suppose the people who wrote the code couldn't imagine a 0 BR house. Minimum BR size is 70 sf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 05:38 AM

109 posts, read 169,706 times
I enjoy watching the Tiny House/Texas Flip and Move shows. I think the really small places are great for skinny young hipsters moving around. But some of them I'm thinking ... Dude, you are moving to Montana. Your place doesn't have room for snow clothes/boots much less a shovel.

Our first house was 1300 sf with a good sized shed. Great for two. Ok for two plus a kid. Had to move with the 2nd kid. Wasn't easy to maintain after kid stuff started hitting every room in the house. Now, with a somewhat bigger house, maintenance is easier because my living room can stay a living room with just a couple of designated kid junk spaces.

But I think a small house does have enough flexibility to make sense for a lot of people.

As for those skinny young hipsters ... What happens when half of a couple gets an on-call job that requires nighttime phone calls? An unhappy partner. What if someone breaks a leg? Wants to take up a craft or hobby with even a minimum of equipment--who is going to supply the world with t-shirt scarves? What if they just want to play board games with friends? What if two people get a stomach upset at the same time?

I think the tiny houses are great for vacation spots, writing retreats, temporary living for young singles, especially those wanting mobility. But ultimately just a trend. Small houses will continue to make sense for the people who choose them.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,041,193 times
As someone who recently lived in an under 800sqft house I'm with you on this one. I could do it again by myself or possibly one other person. With kids it's just too cramped and cluttered. I cant imagine living in something camper sized long term with a partner. Vacation home sounds doable.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 PM

131 posts, read 145,532 times
I love the tiny house movement. My mother does too. She wants to do a tiny house on wheels so she can travel in her retirement.

Personally, I'd like to purchase some land and do a 500-800 sq ft custom build cottage.

I hate having a bunch of stuff around, and I think when you live with less house, you can focus on having really quality materials. At least that's my plan.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 AM

62 posts, read 132,113 times
Seems like there is a glut of brick ranch houses that need to be flipped and then would be perfect for those that don't want a huge house.... This one recently got flipped, and I've been keeping an eye on to see how well it sells: 3606 Woodside Rd, Garner, NC 27529 | Zillow

Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 PM

13,733 posts, read 12,542,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
I love the tiny house movement. My mother does too. She wants to do a tiny house on wheels so she can travel in her retirement.
They make those. They're called Campers. If you insist on hipster cred get an Airstream.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 PM

236 posts, read 187,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeri View Post
I enjoy watching the Tiny House/Texas Flip and Move shows. I think the really small places are great for skinny young hipsters moving around. But some of them I'm thinking ... Dude, you are moving to Montana. Your place doesn't have room for snow clothes/boots much less a shovel.

...As for those skinny young hipsters ... What happens when half of a couple gets an on-call job that requires nighttime phone calls? An unhappy partner. What if someone breaks a leg? Wants to take up a craft or hobby with even a minimum of equipment--who is going to supply the world with t-shirt scarves? What if they just want to play board games with friends? What if two people get a stomach upset at the same time?

...But ultimately just a trend.
They make for good TV, and unfortunately the world is full of people who want to imitate what they see on TV. I'm sure there is a market for follow up shows that document the long list of regrets of these people (assuming they actually stick around in those living conditions long enough to do so).

It's kind of like these shows like "Naked and Afraid" - it's enough to catches the attention of people when they're flipping channels, and there will be those so gullible as to think "hey camping naked might be fun", but they haven't stopped to think about what they aren't seeing -- things like bugs in orifices and other issues that could rattle marketability of the show, yet are easily edited out at the producer's discretion if they think it could be a turnoff for the audience.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:53 PM

131 posts, read 145,532 times
The tiny house movement has been much longer than this new crop of tv shows. Personally, I think the shows totally miss the point. All the houses are luxurious, huge (for tiny houses), expensive, and built by pros. The whole point of movement is to make something cheap, sustainable, and with your own two hands. None of the ones I've seen are half as nice--or as expensive.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:04 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,639,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post

Personally, I'd like to purchase some land and do a 500-800 sq ft custom build cottage.

I hate having a bunch of stuff around, and I think when you live with less house, you can focus on having really quality materials. At least that's my plan.
I could definitely live in 800 sq ft (almost bought a house that size once) - have lived in 500 and that's a toughie but I feel like if it's planned well for storage then it can work. That would be really nice on a decent amount of land. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 04:18 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,969,496 times
I know 100's of family's that grew up in Raleigh in your typical little 800 sq. ft. 2 bed 1 bath house...happy family's of 4 or 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary