Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:05 AM

66 posts, read 82,523 times

Advertisements

I thought you have to go to a school based on your address. But seems like it is not always true.

Because WCPSS does not monitor the address vs residence, parents make their kids go wherever they want. This creates undue advantage to other parents who are not good at manipulating the school system.

Take this real scenario: You live in a neighborhood for ElementaryX and kid goes to that school. You move to a different area and WCPSS lets your kid stay in ElementaryX until they finish school but you may have to do your own transportation. Sounds good, genuine situation and great for everyone. It seems you can continue going to Middle school X instead of middle school assigned to your new area. I thought this was a mistake may be school system didn't catch it. But it seems you can also go to High school X instead of high school from your new area. I feel like this is cheating where some kids are being driven far away due to school caps and having to have a classroom in trailers.

Opinions? Correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
We do know some who have done this, but generally only to schools that have space. I think they do it for consistency, kids stay with their friends, stay with siblings who may be in the upper level schools, stay on the same schedule, stay with similar programs they may have been involved in. And as long as there is space in the school and parents are providing transportation, I don't see problem with it. I also don't understand the aversion to trailers, especially in high school.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM

66 posts, read 82,523 times
I don't have an aversion to trailers but think that they are not as comfy as a well built classroom.

It might look like it is being done consistency, but in RTP area where homes are bought for high price just for a school location, it is not fair for others. My example does not involve sibling, in fact second child was put in Elementary X because of first child.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 AM

My kids always preferred trailers. They're quieter, fewer distractions and usually have their own thermostat!

Anyway, I think just as fair for them to stay in a school and on that school path they are already in versus someone who just moved in. You can't move to this area expecting a specific school, that's the way it's been for years now.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuser View Post
It might look like it is being done consistency, but in RTP area where homes are bought for high price just for a school location, it is not fair for others. My example does not involve sibling, in fact second child was put in Elementary X because of first child.
There are some "legacy" rules about families, I don't know the specifics.

People have always learned to "work the system", and this is far from a Triangle area phenomenon. I am certain there is system-rigging going on in literally every school district in the US.

And higher-priced neighborhoods generally have the nicer schools--again, not a Triangle-specific problem. The affluent are always going to look out for themselves.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
it sounds like somehow WCPSS hasn't been made aware of an address change. That is what you describe.

Family moves across town, but Junior stays in that school for either the remainder of the school year, or their career at that school. Yes, under current rules that is allowed. However, when it comes time to change to middle or high school, that child is only supposed to attend based on their now-address.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it sounds like somehow WCPSS hasn't been made aware of an address change. That is what you describe.

Family moves across town, but Junior stays in that school for either the remainder of the school year, or their career at that school. Yes, under current rules that is allowed. However, when it comes time to change to middle or high school, that child is only supposed to attend based on their now-address.
Yes, but they can apply to transfer to the feeder school that isn't based on their address and if the school isn't capped or over crowded or a magnet, they usually get in.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:11 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,688 times
I'm one of those parents whose child attends a school which is no longer our base. My daughter is in 2nd grade and as long as I'm willing to provide transportation she will finish elementary there. Her school is a magnet in downtown and I'd be crazy to switch schools unless absolutely necessary.Plus she has friends and school related activities that I wouldn't want to disrupt.

As far as middle school goes I've not really worried about it because I'm sure I'll live somewhere completely different. However her feeder path is currently Ligon and I'd have no problem transporting her there unless it's way out of the way.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
there is no feeder path.

and of course, a transfer sought and granted is a different matter. The OP describes some shenanigans/oversight.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there is no feeder path.

and of course, a transfer sought and granted is a different matter. The OP describes some shenanigans/oversight.
But there is a path even if it's not technically a feeder path. For my kids it was Conn,Daniels then Broughton when she started. A year after it was changed to Conn,Ligon,Enloe. Those are the schools the majority of Conn students will move unto unless they are enrolled as magnet and choose a different location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: