Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 32,519 times

Advertisements

We are looking for some feedback and honest opinions on Holly Springs and Clayton. DH and I are looking to relocate to one or the other later this year. We took a brief scouting trip while we were home a few months ago and are planning another for early March. Clayton seems to have a few established neighbordhoods, schools, and shopping though I've read a few threads about the traffic on 70. HS seems to be on the up and up and building a lot but right now traffic is also bad because of 55? This is just what we've read up on so I don't know how accurate it is. Can anyone give us a local opinion on either or both. We really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:21 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Hi there!

We live in Holly Springs. We almost bought in Clayton, but decided not to since hubby's commute would have been too long. (He worked in Durham at the time.) We really like Holly Springs. It's a rapidly growing area, but the town seems to be handling the growth well, imho. As for traffic on 55, it does get backed up if you're heading to Apex during rush hour. From what I've seen since we moved to NC almost 2 years ago, traffic seems to be getting worse everywhere though. My hubby works in Cary now. If he gets stuck in traffic, it adds about 15 minutes to his commute. If you have more questions about Holly Springs, please feel free to ask!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Hi there!

We live in Holly Springs. We almost bought in Clayton, but decided not to since hubby's commute would have been too long. (He worked in Durham at the time.) We really like Holly Springs. It's a rapidly growing area, but the town seems to be handling the growth well, imho. As for traffic on 55, it does get backed up if you're heading to Apex during rush hour. From what I've seen since we moved to NC almost 2 years ago, traffic seems to be getting worse everywhere though. My hubby works in Cary now. If he gets stuck in traffic, it adds about 15 minutes to his commute. If you have more questions about Holly Springs, please feel free to ask!
Do you know how long it takes to get to RDU from HS? DH will do a bit of travel so we are curious about that. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2NCWeGo View Post
Do you know how long it takes to get to RDU from HS? DH will do a bit of travel so we are curious about that. Thanks!
I've only driven to RDU twice since we moved here. It took about 35 minutes to get there both times. Hope this helps!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM

38 posts, read 155,003 times
Default HS or Clayton

I live in Holly Springs and my husband used to work in Morrisville real close to the airport, it usually took him 30-45 minutes for the commute (during rush hours); not during rush you should be able to make it to RDU within 30 minutes. Holly Springs is a nice town to live in

Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM

112 posts, read 477,216 times
Smile Holly Springs is Awesome!

I have lived in Holly Springs for 2 years now. It is a super town to live in! There are plenty of homes to choose from. Subdivisions are popping up left and right! We have a new cultural center/library with all kinds of plays, concerts, art shows, etc. Holly Springs is in a pretty good location as far as getting around to surrounding towns. I would say it is about 30 to 35 minutes depending on traffic to RDU from Holly Springs. We are close to Cary, Apex, Fuquay, and Raleigh. One thing for sure that needs to improve besides all the traffic are the potholes on the road. New shopping centers are coming along as we speak. I would have to say our Wal-Mart is probably the biggest one I have seen in the area. We are getting an Outback too! Pretty cool. I can't wait for that! Best of luck to you!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,200 times
I lives in Clayton area and the subdivision we're at is called Flowers Plantation. We love it here. The school is great and the driving distance from here to my work (Garner) is 25 minutes and traffic isn't bad at all. We used to shop houses at Holly Springs and found out that we couldn't afford it so Clayton houses are priced right for us, especially the lot is huge. If you're looking for city wide, quick shopping area, huge library, big homes with small lots, bigger school - then Holly Springs may be a good choice for. If you're looking for rural area, small school, big lots for your home, and long distance to shopping, Clayton it is.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
I think it really depends on how you feel driving through each area and what each town can offer homewise in your price range. How you feel about the Wake county school system/year round/redistricting stuff and how important a short commute is, etc. We originally were planning on Cary, Holly Springs but we found a bit more bang for our buck in Clayton. Our commute is longer, dh travels to RTP....bout 45 min each way.

Its all relative! Many folks have looked at both Clayton and Holly Springs and there are those that chose Clayton (as we did) and those that chose Holly Springs.

You have to look at each area more in depth, if you can and that will probably help you decide what is best for you.

Lauren

Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM

When we visited Clayton we did stop by Glen Laurel and really liked that area. It is established and yet still growing which is great and they do have nice size lots which we really want. In HS we saw Sunset Oaks which has nice but $$$ homes and the lot sizes were noticeably smaller. We didn't want to base our opinions of the two places based on those two communities because we know there is a lot more to offer. We will be relocating from VA so we are accustomed to a bit of a commute. We've heard mixed reviews on Wake County schools so we want to look into that some more but can anyone provide any insight?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,841 times
We chose Clayton (for the school system). Dh works in Morrisville, his commute is about 45 minutes. Had we not had children to consider, we would have probably wound up in Cary or Wake Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary