Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:39 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Not worried about a price range, just curious to hear what y'all had to say.

Anyone like Gonza Tacos Y Tequila? One of the highest rated North Raleigh restaurants on TripAdvisor. Also, still need to try Winston's and Bahama Breeze.
Gonza is really good. I was going to add that to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:43 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'm a huge fan of Dos Taquitos. We lived in Phoenix for many years and part time in Mexico, so we're reasonably educated in Mexican food. Dos Taquitos is the only place I'd return to without a coupon or groupon. I've heard good things about Gonza, but haven't visited (yet).

Bahama Breeze - ummm, no. Breeze on by. It's owned by Darden - not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's certainly not local, special or different. (Or very good food, IMHO)

If somebody else was paying, I'd love to try Margeaux, but not on my credit card, thanks.

Pho Far East is the best Vietnamese we've found in The Triangle so far (still a far cry from what we could get in the East Valley of Phoenix, but well worth the drive for us from Brier Creek), but I don't know if I'd take out of town visitors there.

We've been to Shuckers. I remember it was very, very, very loud. I don't remember what we ate. That kinda says it all.

I was totally unimpressed with Coquette, unless you're looking for a 'ladies who lunch' kinda place.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
You've gotten some good recs but I agree - pass on Bahama Breeze. The food is ok but it's a chain restaurant along the lines of a slightly nicer Applebee's.

I'd take them to Seoul Garden over on Millbrook and Atlantic for some Korean BBQ (make reservations if you want a BBQ table on the weekend!)

If you are looking at brunch, Zest has a tasty brunch on the weekends. Neomonde also has a location up near Zest/Whole Foods area and I always like their food.

If you want really upscale (although the surroundings are more country French Bistro), Saint Jacques Restaurant will serve you delicious food and make you feel well-cared for (the best service around). Their monthly wine dinner are always fun. Go and I promise you will want to suddenly spend $5K to let them take you around France on an eating tour.

Other suggestions: Poppyseed Market (Souther), Cafe Tiramisu (Italian), Macchu Picchu (Peruvian). Have fun eating!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
I've never even heard of Dos Taquitos, now I'm really interested! If it's anything like Gonza, I'll love it. I'll pass on Bahama Breeze, but any opinions on Winston's off Falls of Neuse? Still haven't been, but it's rated one of the best in Raleigh on TripAdvisor.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:22 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Bonefish
Sassool
Pho Far East
Chuy's
Yard house

Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I think Gonza is rated high a lot for the decor. I admit I'm a sucker for sugar skulls and day of the dead motifs myself. Torreros to me has the best food. Pass on the Breeze unless its a ghettofabulous event.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I've never even heard of Dos Taquitos, now I'm really interested! If it's anything like Gonza, I'll love it. I'll pass on Bahama Breeze, but any opinions on Winston's off Falls of Neuse? Still haven't been, but it's rated one of the best in Raleigh on TripAdvisor.
I hesitate to take TripAdvisor restaurant reviews too seriously. Most of them are written by visitors. They go to a restaurant once, while they are on vacation, determined to have a good time. Yelp is often more reliable, IMHO, but read the comments, don't just look at the scores. And the only comments that matter are the ones from the past 12 months.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Bonefish
Sassool
Pho Far East
Chuy's
Yard house
Have you been to Bonefish since they changed their menu?

Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM

386 posts, read 605,883 times
Sassoul is very good and is one of my favorites. It's owned by the same people that own Neomonde so same thing, just different name

Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM

187 posts, read 345,424 times
Gonza is excellent, and not just for the decor. I live in the neighborhood and eat there regularly.

Bahama Breeze is nothing special. I would definately not take a guest there.

Poppyseed is good, but their menu is often same old, same old. I get tired of it.

Nina's is AWESOME. Expensive, but awesome.

Last time I was at Margaux's, it was a bust. Someone asked me about it recently and I steered them away.

Winston's has a nice brunch. And great homemade ice cream.

Coquette's is one of my favs - their quiche is the best in Raleigh.

Cafe Tiramisu is pretty good, a bit cheaper than Ninas.

Shucker's is so so to me. I've never been sure what all the fuss was about. It was much better when it was the dive on Capital Blvd/US 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary