Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,542 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Pittsburgh to the Raleigh area to attend grad school. I'd like to move by March, but I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding a rental property in my price range (which is admittedly limited since I'm a student). Could anyone give me the name of a good realtor or a property that would match the following criteria???

1 bedroom
safe neighborhood
pet friendly (for two cats)
washer/dryer in the unit
$500-600/month

I'd prefer a duplex or a house, but I know that will be hard to find with all the other stipulations. I have already been checking craigslist religiously and I've done all the internet searches I can think of, but I'd appreciate any direction from a native of the area that I can get. The best that I've found so far was a cute duplex on the northern side of Durham, but I don't want to commute an hour into Raleigh every day.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlm8746 View Post
I am moving from Pittsburgh to the Raleigh area to attend grad school. I'd like to move by March, but I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding a rental property in my price range (which is admittedly limited since I'm a student). Could anyone give me the name of a good realtor or a property that would match the following criteria???

1 bedroom
safe neighborhood
pet friendly (for two cats)
washer/dryer in the unit
$500-600/month

I'd prefer a duplex or a house, but I know that will be hard to find with all the other stipulations. I have already been checking craigslist religiously and I've done all the internet searches I can think of, but I'd appreciate any direction from a native of the area that I can get. The best that I've found so far was a cute duplex on the northern side of Durham, but I don't want to commute an hour into Raleigh every day.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
That's a really tight budget for a house rental. Would you consider an apartment or condo?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,542 times
I would... my only aversion was that the apartment rating sites have been very unhelpful. One tenant will claim that a particular complex is fantastic only to be followed by another who claims that their car was stolen by human-sized roaches.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
Given your price range, have you considered a roommate? That way you would be able to get a better place closer to campus. You'll be one of many, many other grad students in the same boat. If so, you might want to check with your department to help you find others looking to share a place. Prior to my first year of grad school people in my program were really helpful about this sort of thing.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I assume you are attending grad school at NC State. There are several older (post war) apartment buildings nearby that are filled with students and recent grads. They are in excellent locations.
Check out Raleigh Apartments Raleigh Apartments. They are walkable to NC State, Cameron Village and the entertainment districts downtown.
There is also a collection of apartments directly across the street from St. Mary's College on Hillsborough St. These too are very convenient to NC State.
All these apartments are less expensive than new ones. They don't have amenities and they are older. But, they just might fill your needs within your price range. But, I will say that I'd set my expectations closer to $600 than $500 a month.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
The problem isn't your price range for a 1 bedroom, the problem is there aren't many 1 bedroom homes. Homes are typically at least 2 bedrooms, so in turn they cost more. I definitely think apartment living would be better from a budget standpoint. You could get a great 1 bedroom in that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary