Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:33 PM

248 posts, read 494,992 times

Advertisements

Willow Spring man arrested, charged for bringing gun onto school grounds :: WRAL.com

So there's that (sitting on a school sign and waiving the gun around, etc), then there's this:

Neighbors fire complaints at Johnston man for backyard shooting :: WRAL.com

This is why we need to identify nutters as early as possible, straight-jacket on the first offense and lobotomy on second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I'd rather this not turn into a 2nd amendment debate. It's not the P&OC board.

That said, this is exactly what I remind people of every time they give me the "responsible gun owners would never..." speech.

Point being, you cannot always be sure that just because someone bought a permit and obtained a gun legally, they're in any way "responsible."

Old 06-13-2015, 08:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
I'm sorry ,sportsman or not. If you make it on the news with your gun activities; there is a problem. All these want to be rambos just look ridiculous and I just don't understand the lifestyle. You know where your activities and politics revolve around an instrument of death. Instead of looking at crime stats on neighborhoods I'd be concerned on gun nuts like this living next door.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
"Gun Nutter" ?

What's wrong with you.... you DO realize that ~1/12 people you pass on any given sidewalk has a concealed permit, and yet you never know, nobody gets shot and mayhem does not ensue.
OP called the guy in the links a "Gun Nutter", not the 11 other people.

BUt that's the concern we have here in the Triangle, and everywhere. If we are going to let "responsible people" carry concealed weapons and feel secure in doing so (Note that I didn't post an opinion for or against), the we MUST do more than we are doing to insure that the insane, irresponsible or "nutty" people are not given licence to carry and conceal them. That's all.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
One incident out of hundreds of thousands of positive ones that happen every day, is cause to react? Think about that some. One incident (where nobody was harmed) .[/b]
"Hundreds of thousands of positive incidents every day?" Please give us examples. And people concealed carrying without shooting someone doesn't count as a positive.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of NC citizens safely carrying concealed (or not.. there's no permit required to open carry) to protect themselves and their families certainly represents a positive incident.

If you're implying that the only positive outcome of carrying a gun to shoot someone, you're missing the point.
No, you're missing the point. Being a responsible gun owner is just being a responsible gun owner. We don't need to put a positive spin on it.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:49 AM

248 posts, read 494,992 times
Quote:
"Gun Nutter" ?

What's wrong with you.... you DO realize that ~1/12 people you pass on any given sidewalk has a concealed permit, and yet you never know, nobody gets shot and mayhem does not ensue.
Most people don't go terrorizing the public and enter school property with their gun though. The thread is about identifying these psychos before they go to far. For example, the writing was on the wall when he was defending his gun rights a few years before.

Wait that's the same thing you're doing now. Note to self... keep an eye on this one too.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
One incident out of hundreds of thousands of positive ones that happen every day, is cause to react? Think about that some. One incident (where nobody was harmed) .

If we applied the same logic to incidents with cars , you and I would both be walking. A few years back an individual decided to take out his hostilities by actually running over some students at a local campus. Did we have a rush to judgment about issuing DL's to citizens?
Did we call the driver a "car nutter"?
Nobody here is saying that people should not be allowed to have guns. Let's crank down the "cars kill more people than guns" routine.

People around here need cars to get from point A to point B. Nobody NEEDS a handgun.

But, we are not debating that, anyway.

We ARE discussing how we might ensure that crazy people aren't carrying guns.

That's a whole separate discussion and one that a sane, responsible individual need not get upset over and start worrying that people are out to disarm them.

So, back on topic. What can the Triangle area do to cut down on the possible dangers of mentally-unstable people owning and carrying guns?

Because (since you brought it up) one "nutter" with guns can kill far more people than one "nutter" driving a car.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nobody here is saying that people should not be allowed to have guns. Let's crank down the "cars kill more people than guns" routine.

People around here need cars to get from point A to point B. Nobody NEEDS a handgun.

But, we are not debating that, anyway.

We ARE discussing how we might ensure that crazy people aren't carrying guns.

That's a whole separate discussion and one that a sane, responsible individual need not get upset over and start worrying that people are out to disarm them.

So, back on topic. What can the Triangle area do to cut down on the possible dangers of mentally-unstable people owning and carrying guns?

Because (since you brought it up) one "nutter" with guns can kill far more people than one "nutter" driving a car.
I meet with strange people for a living in places I am not familiar with. I NEED a gun, and have been carrying for 7 years now. Just because you don't see a need doesn't make it true.

I remember the last couple of years people were throwing fits about CHL owners now being allowed to carry in parks and places that serve alcohol due to law changes in NC. The streets will run red with blood they claimed! What happened with that? A whole lot of nothing....

Adding additional laws only stops people who are willing to follow them, and he sounds like someone who doesn't. Try and pass all the laws you want, but if this guy decides to go crazy he wont care what laws are in place. We could go back and forth all day long, and I am more than happy to. I can keep it civil and wont offend anyone. Better yet, I would be glad to take anyone out shooting and show you what firearm ownership is all about. One of my favorite things to do is take a noobie/liberal to the range. I've opened minds and even converted many gun haters and happy to continue to do more.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I meet with strange people for a living in places I am not familiar with. I NEED a gun, and have been carrying for 7 years now. Just because you don't see a need doesn't make it true.

I remember the last couple of years people were throwing fits about CHL owners now being allowed to carry in parks and places that serve alcohol due to law changes in NC. The streets will run red with blood they claimed! What happened with that? A whole lot of nothing....

Adding additional laws only stops people who are willing to follow them, and he sounds like someone who doesn't. Try and pass all the laws you want, but if this guy decides to go crazy he wont care what laws are in place. We could go back and forth all day long, and I am more than happy to. I can keep it civil and wont offend anyone. Better yet, I would be glad to take anyone out shooting and show you what firearm ownership is all about. One of my favorite things to do is take a noobie/liberal to the range. I've opened minds and even converted many gun haters and happy to continue to do more.
I never said that SOME people might not actually need a gun for safety reasons. I mean, why not carry a shotgun? Open carry is allowed in NC. I know... it's more convenient to carry a concealed handgun... I get it...

I do stand by my assertion that not everyone needs to be armed to go about their daily lives, but it is legal to be armed, so I'm not here to debate that at all. I once had a concealed carry permit, I used to own some guns (I might buy one again one day for all I know) and I'm not anti-gun in the slightest.

I am anti-crazy people carrying guns, though. It's actually very funny that you are likely assuming that people in this particular conversation are "noobies" or "liberals" when some of us (probably most of us) can shoot quite well. I fail to see what being liberal has to do with it. This state is full of liberals who shoot, hunt, etc. You don't need to show me anything about owning firearms. I've been around them since I was little.

The topic, and if we cannot stay on it, I will have to close this thread, is whether or not our current system is being enforced well enough to keep people who are clearly unbalanced from having access to and/or carrying guns.

It is a good question, really. Is there anything we can do locally to prevent issues like the one raised in the OP?

Last edited by RedZin; 06-14-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary