Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times

Advertisements

I wonder if Kroger is decreasing the quality of HT. A HT was shut down in DC in December because of rats and other sanitation problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM

288 posts, read 361,054 times
I think that these big grocery stores will be somewhat obselete in ten years. I expect that the business model where groceries are ordered online and picked up at a drive-through will take off soon. We use it some at Harris Teeter, and it's really convenient. They load the bags for you, and you don't even have to get out of your car.

In the shorter term, I think you will see most grocery stores and big retail stores offer this service. In the medium to longer term, companies will try to improve the warehouse and distribution logistics to offer a much wider range of grocery choices at rock bottom prices. Whoever figures that out will be the big winner (probably Amazon).

There will still be a place for smaller grocery stores where you can choose your own meat, produce, bakery items, etc, as well as buy prepared foods, but the big stores will no longer be needed. Just get somebody to throw it in the back of your car.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I wonder if Kroger is decreasing the quality of HT. A HT was shut down in DC in December because of rats and other sanitation problems.
That's because of poor store management & lazy employees, I haven't noticed any difference in HT stores or service

Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
This particular issue has beena problem for me for 10 years. Way before Kroger. It's just people who use data analysis in a shortsighted way, IMO. and I'm so tired of hearing from management at stores that they have no control over what gets shipped to them. What a ridiculous system for customer service.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:38 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
This particular issue has beena problem for me for 10 years. Way before Kroger. It's just people who use data analysis in a shortsighted way, IMO. and I'm so tired of hearing from management at stores that they have no control over what gets shipped to them. What a ridiculous system for customer service.

Well, when it comes to service and quality, the story of two campers and outrunning a bear comes to mind.
"I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you."

None of these companies feels the need to be the absolute finest operation imaginable. They only need to be efficient and a bit better than a few other guys.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
That's because of poor store management & lazy employees, I haven't noticed any difference in HT stores or service
I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I've been reading in these threads how HT has gone downhill, and the produce is always rotten. I honestly haven't seen a change. I still think their produce and meats are the best among the grocery stores here.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:35 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I've been reading in these threads how HT has gone downhill, and the produce is always rotten. I honestly haven't seen a change. I still think their produce and meats are the best among the grocery stores here.
I tend to agree. At least in the stores I've shopped (McCrimmon Corners, Stone creek and the one at Harrison Pointe) nothing has changed that I can see and I've been looking.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Can I drop off our kids and go elsewhere shopping? How long will they babysit? Do they issue pagers for parents, etc?
You have to stay in the store. They issue pagers, and the limit is 2 hours. Not all of their stores offer this service. At least that's how it was done when I used their service several years ago when my kids were little. I used to meet my friends for lunch there and put the kids in the babysitting.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:47 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
The grocery store wars keep getting more interesting! Giant and Food Lion parent companies set to merge?

Food Lion parent agrees to merger with Dutch retailer | News & Observer News & Observer

Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The grocery store wars keep getting more interesting! Giant and Food Lion parent companies set to merge?

Food Lion parent agrees to merger with Dutch retailer | News & Observer News & Observer
Ahold is not a stranger to North Carolina. Bi-Lo, now a subsidiary of Southeastern Grocers, was previously owned by Ahold from 1977 to 2005.

It will be interesting to see Ahold operate Food Lion and improve it to a level on par with Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Hannaford, Martin's and Stop and Shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary