Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:12 AM

464 posts, read 1,046,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Glad AT&T is being aggressive and hope it continues in downtown Durham.

Frontier ran a fiber line to our building a couple of weeks ago but their fiber service plans are not competitive or even symmetrical at this time (they say they're going symmetrical in the fall). We're not sure what they are thinking with these prices:

https://frontier.com/offer/1gig

Unless they adjust, we'll just ride out the TWC Maxx upgrades and bide our time until AT&T or Google come rolling through.
If you are in a Frontier service area those were former Verizon. Verizon and AT&T were mutually exclusive so they were never in the same areas. I would be very surprised if AT&T made a play for Frontier areas, or if they are even allowed to do so.

Here's to Google!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM

288 posts, read 361,668 times
When discussing broadband speed, there are a lot of chicken/egg type arguments.

For example, when you look at HD video, an uncompressed 1080p stream will use 15-20 Mbps. Netflix compresses that by 50%, and many cable/satellite providers compress the signal even more. The picture quality is generally acceptable, but it's not as crisp as the uncompressed stream.

I think that providers send a lower-bandwidth video stream because most home broadband connections can't support an uncompressed stream. If you have a few simultaneous uncompressed HD streams at a home, that's probably using close 50 Mbps. To prove the point, Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber actually send the uncompressed stream because they supply lots of extra bandwidth.

Then, when you start looking at 4K video bitrates in the not too distant future, you can basically multiply the bitrates by four. The gigabit connection starts to make a lot more sense when a single uncompressed video stream is using around 70 Mbps.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM

6,887 posts, read 7,932,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Those are some insane speeds. I have to ask, other than for specialized use, what the heck is that kind of speed going to do for the average Joe? Seems for most people, 50/50 is quite fast enough. I am really interested in what the plans are for this megaspeed.
The speed will help in my home, where we are sometimes streaming 3 vids at once. But I don't really care about that...I care about the PRICE!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 AM

754 posts, read 1,695,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
If you are in a Frontier service area those were former Verizon. Verizon and AT&T were mutually exclusive so they were never in the same areas. I would be very surprised if AT&T made a play for Frontier areas, or if they are even allowed to do so.

Here's to Google!
You're a little behind the times. Because of the NCNGN initiative and agreement, AT&T is stomping all over Frontier's territory in Durham. If Frontier continues to want $220/mo for gigabit, the stomping will probably continue until Google finishes the job.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,942,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
The speed will help in my home, where we are sometimes streaming 3 vids at once. But I don't really care about that...I care about the PRICE!
What are they charging for triple play packages?

With Verizon, I pay $185/mo all in, taxes, fees, etc for 50/50 internet, a bazillion TV channels and a landline.....two 110 hour HD DVR's, a third client box, all household connected, mobile service for my wife.....excellent wireless router included. Everything in house, except three TV's, are run wireless.....including one dedicated ROKU TV. No install fees.

Just wondering how the mega speed companies stack up pricewise.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 08-24-2015 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Added specifics

Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,923,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
You're a little behind the times. Because of the NCNGN initiative and agreement, AT&T is stomping all over Frontier's territory in Durham. If Frontier continues to want $220/mo for gigabit, the stomping will probably continue until Google finishes the job.
Aldamon is correct:

Quote:
Unlike its existing markets in North Carolina like Cary and Raleigh, the lack of wireline facilities in Durham meant the service provider had to build its FTTH network infrastructure from the ground up.

"This was a little bit out of the norm for us," said Venessa Harrison, AT&T North Carolina president, in an interview with the Triangle Business Journal. "We don't traditionally serve Durham."

Through its agreement with Next Generation Network North Carolina (NGNNC), AT&T offers its U-verse GigaPower offering to six communities, including Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh and Winston-Salem. AT&T began discussions with the NCNGN about bringing its services to these communities last April.
AT&T lays challenge to Frontier, Google Fiber with Durham, N.C. 1 Gig launch - FierceTelecom

Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM

464 posts, read 1,046,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Well good luck with that. I can't even get AT&T to upgrade the network in my approximately 7 year old subdivision in an existing area they service so we can get Uverse, let alone Gigfiber. I do not see them jumping all over Durham to do a complete greenfield installation. Just my humble opinion, but I'm not the one with the purse strings at AT&T.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM

754 posts, read 1,695,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
Well good luck with that. I can't even get AT&T to upgrade the network in my approximately 7 year old subdivision in an existing area they service so we can get Uverse, let alone Gigfiber. I do not see them jumping all over Durham to do a complete greenfield installation. Just my humble opinion, but I'm not the one with the purse strings at AT&T.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 PM

288 posts, read 361,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
What are they charging for triple play packages?

With Verizon, I pay $185/mo all in, taxes, fees, etc for 50/50 internet, a bazillion TV channels and a landline.....two 110 hour HD DVR's, a third client box, all household connected, mobile service for my wife.....excellent wireless router included. Everything in house, except three TV's, are run wireless.....including one dedicated ROKU TV. No install fees.

Just wondering how the mega speed companies stack up pricewise.
Google Fiber would give you 1000/1000 internet along with cable TV and a 2TB DVR (500 hours HD) for around $130. That's for one TV. A receiver box for each additional TV costs $5/month. The monthly price is roughly the same as you are paying, but you would be getting a lot more for your money.

BTW, you are kind of screwed long-term with Verizon selling FiOS to Frontier in Florida. It's probably fine now, but Frontier has a reputation for not spending money to upgrade saturated network links. As overall network utilization increases (which it will), Frontier will just let things slow down. The MO of that company is to squeeze every last nickel out of the existing infrastructure.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,942,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Google Fiber would give you 1000/1000 internet along with cable TV and a 2TB DVR (500 hours HD) for around $130. That's for one TV. A receiver box for each additional TV costs $5/month. The monthly price is roughly the same as you are paying, but you would be getting a lot more for your money.

BTW, you are kind of screwed long-term with Verizon selling FiOS to Frontier in Florida. It's probably fine now, but Frontier has a reputation for not spending money to upgrade saturated network links. As overall network utilization increases (which it will), Frontier will just let things slow down. The MO of that company is to squeeze every last nickel out of the existing infrastructure.
Wow! That's quite good for that price. TWC is going to be in a lot of trouble, I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary