Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
I have been told that the orange cable is actually just empty conduit and they will run the fiber at a later date. Any tructh to it? I have a box at the end of my driveway and I haven't had a chance to peer down into it.
That pic is indeed orange conduit. Think flexible pipe that the cable is later pulled in. When the conduit is placed, pull ropes are installed and the fiber cable is pulled through the conduit using the ropes.
Your driveway box might have the cable direct buried in the ground or in a conduit. The cable jacket could be orange too so orange doesn't always mean conduit. It's more an indicator of a communication cable/pathway.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM

18,103 posts, read 15,683,109 times
So they're slowly working their way down Chapel Hill Rd. It will be awhile before they get over to me, off of High House Rd & Old Apex. Think they can get their service up and running within 1 year from now?

Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,757 times
The Google Fiber Team contacted our building manager today to schedule a walk-through of our building and units. Looks like Google Fiber is happening in City Center Durham! I asked our building manager to submit an application the day Google Fiber was announced and am so glad I did.

If you are in a multi-unit dwelling, I strongly encourage you to have your property manager submit a Google Fiber for Property Managers application. It's for real. Also, they waive the installation fee so everyone gets 5/1 connection for free. Then everyone can upgrade independently based on demand.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:22 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
I was wondering how they were going to do multi family dwellings. Lots more in the way of access issues.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 PM

75 posts, read 253,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
So they're slowly working their way down Chapel Hill Rd. It will be awhile before they get over to me, off of High House Rd & Old Apex. Think they can get their service up and running within 1 year from now?
If I had to guess, I'd say they are laying fiber to connect the Fiber Hut in Morrisville to the one they are putting in Cary, at a park off of Maynard (Godbold Park). Chapel Hill Rd seems like the most straightforward route between the two locations.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:36 AM

It does look like they are running some main line or loop out on 54 and on Davis drive. Much larger conduit than in the neighborhoods and appears to be multiple conduits together.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It does look like they are running some main line or loop out on 54 and on Davis drive. Much larger conduit than in the neighborhoods and appears to be multiple conduits together.
They're on the south side of Morrisville Parkway right now, between Davis and Louis Stephens. Looks like they're working their way into Preston Village on Ecklin.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:06 PM

Yeah,nthey seem to be working east from where they started in Kitts Creek and Breckenridge. Leaving a crap ton of ruptured gas lines in their wake it seems.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
I don't know about fiber in Durham yet, but I did get my t-shirt today. Woo!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:17 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't know about fiber in Durham yet, but I did get my t-shirt today. Woo!
I got mine over the weekend as well. Nice T!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary