Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM

285 posts, read 836,520 times

Advertisements

Guys

my stuff from the UK has arrived, and it seems that the electrical things (specifically Sony Playstation 3 & a Stereo system) do not work over here, even with standard US kettle leads...

I was under the impression that they would!

Does anyone know anywhere that could help out? I believe I need to look at a "step up converter", but dont like the idea of buying online from a place I have never heard of. Any ideas on a place that sells them (I've tried Radio Shack, Best Buy & Circtui City)

Are there any other Brits over here that had the same problem? What did you do?!? I'm not impressed with having this kit over here that I simply cannot use for the next couple of years

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
You need to find someone to mod your Sony Playstation 3 to de-regenionlize it.

As for the power differences it not just a case of plug configuration, its a matter of in the Uk your stuff runs on 220, our things like game systems and stereo systems run on 110. You need something that will not only change the plug configuration but also address the difference in power.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Yup, understand that - which is why I'm asking if anyone knows where I can get one of those power converters. Any ideas of a store in raleigh?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
Yup, understand that - which is why I'm asking if anyone knows where I can get one of those power converters. Any ideas of a store in raleigh?
The first place I would check would be Radio Shack, if you don't know where one is, then you can check their website, they will have a list of stores.

However unless you already have your Playstation 3 de-regionalized it still won't work. You will have to find someone to mod it unless you know how to do this. I am planning on having my Playstation 2 modded so I can play games that were only released in the UK.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks again for your reply. As per my original post, I have already tried Radio Shack, along with Circuit City & Best Buy

I dont need to get it modded - the PS3 games are Region Free, and besides, I've brought the ones I want with me from the UK. The only thing i want to do is get the damn thing plugged in and powered on!!

As before, does anyone know any stores in the Triangle that may sell these converters - other than the ones I've tried? Also - are there no other Brits out here that had a similar problem before (granted - maybe not with a PS3 )

Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
Guys

my stuff from the UK has arrived, and it seems that the electrical things (specifically Sony Playstation 3 & a Stereo system) do not work over here, even with standard US kettle leads...

I was under the impression that they would!

Does anyone know anywhere that could help out? I believe I need to look at a "step up converter", but dont like the idea of buying online from a place I have never heard of. Any ideas on a place that sells them (I've tried Radio Shack, Best Buy & Circtui City)

Are there any other Brits over here that had the same problem? What did you do?!? I'm not impressed with having this kit over here that I simply cannot use for the next couple of years

Cheers!
Flog the PS3 on ebay and send it back to the UK . They're reported to be going down in price on 1/28. Not sure how happy it will be running through a step up voltage converter
You may have better luck posting this question in the technology folder
Technology - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

These seem cheap enough for the job
Step Up Transformer,Step Up Voltage Transformers,Voltage Transformer,Step Up Transformers,S

Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the tip - will post it there....

In the meantime, I think you're right - may need to be an Ebay UK sale, but the cost to ship it all back is prohibitive!

Agreed that the converters dont seem like much, but I'm not sure about the wattage, and whether the PS3 will like it etc....

Of course, I may also be moving back to the UK in a couple of years, and will have the exact reverse problem if I purchase a US one now!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
BGrant, my husband was in a similar situation just a couple of years ago. He brought his computer over from the UK, so he bought a transformer made by a company called Simran. He was very happy with it & would recommend it. We never found a regular store that sold them, so he had to buy it from an on-line retailer. Looks like some are available on Amazon. Just do a search for "Simran transformers" & you'll find them.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,034 times
I think the problem may also lie with the scan rate-50hz vs 60hz -ie Pal/Secam vs NTSC. So regardless you might not get a picture on a NTSC (USA) Display.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 AM

The NTSC thing isnt an issue because I'll be using the HDMI cable. Thanks for the tip on the transformer - I'll look into it.

Do you know how much noise they made - thats one of the things I'm concerned about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary