Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Here's that website that carries the LARGE, laminated wall map of Wake and Durham counties: (remember it's $150!)

Wake County Wall Map overview

I'd like it, honestly, but I just can't shell out the cash for something like this right now.
That's the exact map I purchased for my work about a year ago. It also comes with a book of streets so you can locate them on the map as well. Luckily I was able to get reimbursed for the map (I am going to get one at my new job also). They are nice maps though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqtonik View Post
I hope you find one that updates weekly!
LMBO!!!! How true, how true.... I'm laughing one of those half laughs/ half cries kind of laughs!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
That's the exact map I purchased for my work about a year ago. It also comes with a book of streets so you can locate them on the map as well. Luckily I was able to get reimbursed for the map (I am going to get one at my new job also). They are nice maps though.
How did you like it? did it come rolled up and need to be flattened out at all?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
The only ones that cheap I could find were here.....

Raleigh, NC 50 Mile Radius Map : ADC Map: Part of the American Map Publishing Group (http://www.adcmap.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1628 - broken link)

You can also get for Durham, Cary etc... Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
My husband and I like to get wall maps for the cities we move to. It's so nice to have it hanging on the wall with little flags marking various important locations (home, work, favorite new restaurant, a new friend's house, etc.). It really helps you get a feel for your new environment. Unfortunately, we had the same trouble as you, Ibeg4sushi. We just couldn't find a wall map that showed the Triangle in the kind of detail we needed. We thought about getting two maps - one for Wake County & another of the Durham & Chapel Hill area - and putiing them on the wall together. We didn't have enough wall space for that, but it may be an option for you.

Instead my husband asked a local bookstore to order a local atlas for us. It cost about $20. We got the 3rd edition, but it looks like the 5th edition was just published a few months ago. I don't see it on the ADC website, but it's for sale on Amazon.
Here are the details:
ADC (Alexandria Drafting Company)
Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill Street Atlas (Paperback)
ISBN-10: 0875308848
ISBN-13: 978-0875308845
Note that it covers more than just those 3 towns. It covers basically the entire Triangle ... from Hillsborough to Fuquay Varina to Clayton to Wake Forest. It's all in there.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
My husband and I like to get wall maps for the cities we move to. It's so nice to have it hanging on the wall with little flags marking various important locations (home, work, favorite new restaurant, a new friend's house, etc.). It really helps you get a feel for your new environment. Unfortunately, we had the same trouble as you, Ibeg4sushi. We just couldn't find a wall map that showed the Triangle in the kind of detail we needed. We thought about getting two maps - one for Wake County & another of the Durham & Chapel Hill area - and putiing them on the wall together. We didn't have enough wall space for that, but it may be an option for you.

Instead my husband asked a local bookstore to order a local atlas for us. It cost about $20. We got the 3rd edition, but it looks like the 5th edition was just published a few months ago. I don't see it on the ADC website, but it's for sale on Amazon.
Here are the details:
ADC (Alexandria Drafting Company)
Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill Street Atlas (Paperback)
ISBN-10: 0875308848
ISBN-13: 978-0875308845
Note that it covers more than just those 3 towns. It covers basically the entire Triangle ... from Hillsborough to Fuquay Varina to Clayton to Wake Forest. It's all in there.
Thanks for the great tip! Yay! About how large do you think it is? It's not saying as much on amazon.....It has product dimensions, but I'm guessing it's a book or a fold out?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Thanks for the great tip! Yay! About how large do you think it is? It's not saying as much on amazon.....It has product dimensions, but I'm guessing it's a book or a fold out?
Sadly, it's a book and not a fold out. I know, I know ... if only! I'm not sure about the new edition, but my 3rd edition is 172 pages long. The first 126 pages are all maps. The rest is the index (street names, zip codes, local ammenities like parks and hospitals, etc.).

Old 01-24-2008, 05:26 PM

Well, I dug through some of my stuff from my trip in May and I have this map that shows *most* of the triangle (though not knghtdale or clayton or anything like that) and it was free from Wachovia - it has these darned Wachovia icons all over it! LOL! Tomorrow I'm going to Barnes & Noble and see if there isn't something better for my wall. Thanks to everyone for all your help! It's always appreciated!!

*Beam, Shine, and Twirl*

Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Also try AAA.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Barnes and Noble. They have tons. When we moved here we bought a giant one and marked with a highlighter where everything was in relationship to the neighborhoods we were thinking about. Gave us a much better perspective of the area.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary