Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times

Advertisements

So here's a new one - recently went to this popular noodle shop up north - have had many Chinese noodles but never Xi'an cuisine and didn't know it existed until then. Please don't yell at me, I promise I love southern food too, but I'd love to be able to get these noodles without flying somewhere or driving 10 hours.

Liang Pi Cold-Skin Noodles - I feel like someone somewhere in the Triangle has that on their menu

If no luck, I will learn to make them - probably very easy.

Devoured at Xi'an Famous Foods last week, NYC.

Will eat a biscuit after
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:37 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I've never seen this before, nor even heard of it. But I was fascinated and did some reading. Makes me want to drive to Flushing, NY (which is an amazing statement. I grew up in Great Neck, NY, and have vowed not return after my last visit in 1978).

In my searching, I came up with a couple of sites that might help you with the recreation experiments. I'm pretty sure Grand Asia has the gluten (in the same area as the tofu). They have a large variety of FRESH noodles on the wall farthest away from the door in a refrigerated case, though I don't know if they have wheat noodles. Having prepared many Asian noodle dishes, I can assure you that fresh noodles will be far better than dried noodles with this kind of dish.

Seriously Asian: Wheat Gluten | Serious Eats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liangpi

I'm sad to report that I never had the opportunity to enjoy this dish when I visited Xi'an decades ago. . .

Old 07-30-2015, 01:23 PM

Oh JK I could eat these noodles every day. Thanks for the info - I think I'm going to try and make them.

Have wanted to try them since Bourdain my fantasy boyfriend talked about the guy who started that restaurant. Yes funny how Flushing is now a food destination - who'd a thunk it (though I didn't go to that location - went to others) (yep went more than once).
Anthony Bourdain Boosts Xi

I may get ambitious and try to make the actual noodles :-O
To make sure I stay local - a trip to Grand Asia is in order for this weekend (I live near the market in Durham but I like Grand Asia better) - and I'm going to continue to look them on the local menu.

Would make a very good food truck idea!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I know you can get gluten at Li Mings, too. I've seen it there.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:26 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
This sounds like the sort of thing Grand Asia Market might have in their cafeteria or maybe Taipei 101 in downtown Cary.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I usually go to Li Ming. I've been meaning to get over to Grand Asia though because they carry Sun Noodles and Li Ming doesn't.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:58 PM

744 posts, read 1,263,237 times
If you haven't done so already I would head over to Fantacity International Shopping Center in Greensboro. Besides Super G Mart that puts Grand Asia and Li Ming's to shame, they have an awesome collection of Asian stores there. Perhaps one of them-- or Super G-- has what you are looking for.

I so badly want a Super G in the Triangle. When I went to Super G in Gboro I found rice wine vinegar that came in gallon jugs, the highly prized Red Boat brand of fish sauce, and large packages of lime leaves.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Update - I made them, and they were exactly the same using this:

XI-AN FAMOUS HOT RICE RIBBONS | Lady and Pups – an angry food blog

(I didn't make my own noodles)

To keep it local - nearly all ingredients easy to find at Grand Asia.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,172 times
Looks good. BTW It's sad when you have to preempt the trolls on threads by apologizing for your own interests over and over. You don't need to eat a biscuit, use local foods, or like southern food. Get your xi'an on!!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 AM

369 posts, read 460,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Update - I made them, and they were exactly the same using this:

XI-AN FAMOUS HOT RICE RIBBONS | Lady and Pups – an angry food blog

(I didn't make my own noodles)

To keep it local - nearly all ingredients easy to find at Grand Asia.

That looks amazing. What brand of noodles did you end up purchasing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary