Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 PM

28 posts, read 104,401 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in Atlanta currently and will be relocating to the Raleigh/Cary/Fayetteville, NC area after the holidays. Having only been to the state a handful of times to visit I have no idea where to begin looking for a house to rent. I will be working in RTP or possibly from home while my fiance is in the military and will need to commute to Ft. Bragg daily. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what cities/towns/areas are best to start searching? Also, if anyone knows of houses for rent in these areas or a good realtor I'd appreciate your pointing me in their direction. I'll also be hiring a moving company so any recommendations there are appreciated as well. Thanks in advance... looking forward to the change of pace in NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 01:19 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
I'm actually working with a client in the same situation right now - he's military, and she's going to work at RTP. They looked in Benson and in areas just north of Fayetteville, then came up to look in Fuquay Varina and Apex. Next time they come down, that's where we're headed. There's really no good solution. The commute to RTP from there is rough, and it's going to be close to an hour to Bragg as well. If you do have the opportunity to work from home, that will free up your choices. pm me for specifics, I can help you here or in Fayetteville, or anywhere in between.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,628 times
[quote=movin2nc;164846]Hello. I live in Atlanta currently and will be relocating to the Raleigh/Cary/Fayetteville, NC area after the holidays. Having only been to the state a handful of times to visit I have no idea where to begin looking for a house to rent. I will be working in RTP or possibly from home while my fiance is in the military and will need to commute to Ft. Bragg daily. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what cities/towns/areas are best to start searching? Also, if anyone knows of houses for rent in these areas or a good realtor I'd appreciate your pointing me in their direction. I'll also be hiring a moving company so any recommendations there are appreciated as well. Thanks in advance... looking forward to the change of pace in NC!
QUOTE]

There is a really good solution, and it's called Sanford, which is in Lee County. You will find a small-medium size town with a variety of buisnesses & restaurants (both chain and local). There are a significant number of people (including myself) who do what you'll be doing: one person working up in the Triangle, and one down in Fayetteville.
It's a 30 minute drive down Hwy 87 to Ft. Bragg; 30 minutes up US 1 to Cary, and about 45 minutes to RDU airport and the RTP. And once you get to know the area, the "back roads" are even quicker. Best of all you get to come home to a nice friendly town.
I am not a realtor, just someone who's lived in the area for nearly 20 years. There are many neighborhoods to choose from in Lee County. If you'd like more info., please feel free to p.m. me. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
Default Sanford

MariGirl,
Thanks for the input - my impression was the commute from Sanford to RTP during rush hour was much worse - what time of day do you drive it? When I go to Fayetteville a couple times a month, we usually take 40 to 95, and it takes a good hour, although from Sanford I see where it's a lot faster to bragg.
Great info!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Sanford to RTP

Traffic is not bad from this end during morning rush hour times. It's when you hit I40 that you encounter the stop and go. On most days it's 45 mins regardless.
Basically from Sanford to RTP, take US1 North to one of several exits (e.g. Pea Ridge or New Hill) and then around Jordan Lake to 40 and wherever final destination is in that area. It's a pleasant drive for the most part-just watch out for deer especially during hunting season!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM

137 posts, read 607,341 times
It's a number of years away, but I wanted to add that someday the 540 outer beltline will finally reach US1 just south of Apex. (Whether they try to make that section a toll road or not remains to be seen.) That route would make for a bit of an even quicker drive to RTP - and RDU, if that matters - from Sanford and US 1 once it's complete.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:43 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,668 times
I was born in Fayetteville and now live in Raleigh. I too am going to suggest looking in and around the Sanford Area. It's sort of in the middle of the too. Housing Costs are way lower than in Raleigh and Cary (Wake County) for sure. And logically it's one of the better solutions. Good hunting.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:29 AM

Default sounds like Sanford is best bet

thanks so much for all of your replies. it sounds like Sanford is one of my better options at this point. I will be traveling to the area for a long weekend in december so if you know of any neighborhoods with homes for rent in the area I'd love to hear about them. Are there a lot of newer subdivisions or mostly older homes in Sanford?

thanks again - you have all been most helpful!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:11 PM

Sanford has a mix of older homes (>50 years) along with newer, as well as brand new construction. I would suggest going to the local newspaper (www.sanford (broken link) herald.com) and reading the classifieds for rentals, as well as getting with a realtor while you are in town.
If you'd like an older home, there are some nice, well kept ones in the historic district area west of downtown. Older subdivisions that may have rentals include Owls Nest and McCracken Heights.
You can also find decent rentals in Carolina Trace and Hawkins Run. There are others to be sure, but that's a starting point. Again, do as much online research with realtors in the area as you can before you come to narrow your search.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 AM

Default what about Cameron?

I've done some searching online and have found some homes we really like in the Cameron area. Would this be a good area to live with one of us commuting to Bragg and the other to Raleigh/RTP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary