Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:05 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Been looking for a townhouse/house over the last month and a half and frankly have not had much luck (first time homebuyer). I've seen a couple places that I've been interested in but by the time I can schedule an appointment to see the place, I notice that an offer has been accepted on the property. Any strategy or tips that people have for how to deal with these situations? I've been looking around the 440 beltline from North Hills to PNC so I'm guessing it's going to be competitive for some of those areas - should I branch out and look outside my area a little? I think I know where I want to be location wise but I guess other people do as well

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Are you working with an agent? I'd make sure they have you hooked into the MLS so you get listings meeting your criteria as soon as they go live, if not before.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:11 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
A good agent is key. As is a flexible schedule so you can run out asap to see a listing (checkbook in hand, natch) as soon as it's available.

It couldn't hurt to widen your search area, but when I was buying last fall and looking in 2 different areas than you are, I found the same issues so I don't know if this would really help with your core problem.

A month and a half doesn't seem that long though. Keep looking and you'll find some place!

Old 02-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Are you working with an agent? I'd make sure they have you hooked into the MLS so you get listings meeting your criteria as soon as they go live, if not before.
Yep - I'm working with a buyer's agent and I'm set up with their MLS website so I get email notifications whenever something gets posted.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 PM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
It is a hot market. The most successful buyers have their pre-qualification letter ready and they are getting immediate updates from their agents when something pops on which matches their criteria. If you have not already done so, I would suggest getting in touch with a realtor to help you.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:14 PM

Since you are working with someone, are you getting the matches immediately or only weekly? If you get it straight away, offers should not have been accepted by the time you see the home pop up.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
A good agent is key. As is a flexible schedule so you can run out asap to see a listing (checkbook in hand, natch) as soon as it's available.

It couldn't hurt to widen your search area, but when I was buying last fall and looking in 2 different areas than you are, I found the same issues so I don't know if this would really help with your core problem.

A month and a half doesn't seem that long though. Keep looking and you'll find some place!
Thanks! I guess I'm getting a little impatient and want to get something done before spring time really kicks into gear and it gets crazy but I guess whatever happens will happen. The good news is that I do have a place to rent thru at least June so I can buy myself some time.

I'm a little worried about putting in an offer at the first or second place that I do end up looking at (being a first time homebuyer) - any thoughts? Would you suggest maybe looking at some places not in the location that I'm looking at just to figure out what I would like/not like in a house to help speed up the decision with places that I'm potentially serious about? (not going to drag my agent out there for that but just by myself)

Old 02-01-2016, 02:29 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Thanks! I guess I'm getting a little impatient and want to get something done before spring time really kicks into gear and it gets crazy but I guess whatever happens will happen. The good news is that I do have a place to rent thru at least June so I can buy myself some time.

I'm a little worried about putting in an offer at the first or second place that I do end up looking at (being a first time homebuyer) - any thoughts? Would you suggest maybe looking at some places not in the location that I'm looking at just to figure out what I would like/not like in a house to help speed up the decision with places that I'm potentially serious about? (not going to drag my agent out there for that but just by myself)
My suggestions are just from what I learned when I was buying, I'm not a realtor, so YMMV but...

I'd look at everything you possibly can, so if it hits all but 1 or 2 of your criteria, still go see it so like you said you can start figuring out what you actually like and don't like, which can change or be refined as you search and see more stuff. That said, if you'd be open to other areas, why not give it a shot? You might find something wonderful outside where you're looking now and at least you'll start figuring out what you like.

You do need to do everything within your power to speed up your decision process because from my experience, you'll have to make one very, very quickly upon seeing a place. For example, I got used to going to showings with my checkbook in hand so I could hand over earnest money and whatnot immediately upon seeing a home and deciding. Of the dozen or so houses I saw, we put offers on 3, all on the same day we saw them and every time there were already other offers in or the sellers agent knew they were coming in soon. With most of the houses we saw, they had either been put on the market that day, or within a few days of when we saw them.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:31 PM

If you are going to do that, you can check out new construction. Walking through model homes may give you an idea of some things you like and/or don't. You won't need your agent for that.

I wold suggest being ready to pull the trigger if something meets your specifications, however. As you have seen, you can miss out if you wait.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Since you are working with an Agent, you should already be pre-qualified.

Go ahead and look at a few homes/townhomes. You will begin to see what you like and dislike. Sounds like you have already chosen the area you want. Hopefully, you have seen some of the townhomes you like and know the neighborhoods you like.

If you are set up for automatic notifications, the minute that neighborhood hits the market, you will see it and you will need to make a fast trip to see it. If you like it, you may have to make that offer sooner than later. It is hard for a first time homebuyer to do that. You may need to lose out on a few homes to see that.

Your agent will know a few other ways to find that townhome that is selling in a day!

Contract to close is about 45 to 60 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary