Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 02:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Wasn't there a member of this forum that lived in Brentwood? It would be interesting to get an insiders take on the neighborhood now. Sometimes day to day life does not equal what one sees on the news.
We had loves_brentwood a while back who would defend the neighborhood any time someone denigrated it, but I haven't seen her for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
When my parents were looking for a house in the 1980s, the strongly considered buying one in Brentwood. Good thing they didn't and bought in Quail Hollow (which is still a good, but older neighborhood) Today, the whole area around Brentwood for a mile radius or so is not good at all.
I grew up in Quail Hollow and would move back there again someday. The "creep" of sketchiness was encroaching on it from the east (via Eastgate Shopping Center and the apartments around there) but thankfully all of the development at North Hills and the subsequent rise of home values near there seem to "saved" QH and Hickory Hills, thank God.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 PM

201 posts, read 190,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I was never a fan of Meredith Woods but people want to live in that neighborhood due to it being "ITB"!
Meredith Woods is just OTB. It is not that great, but I could think of much worse areas to live. It changes dramatically just 1/2-1 mile up Lake Boone. I'd be very surprised if there is crime in that area that is comparable to Brentwood with maybe the exception of the older apartment communities near Rex.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 PM

166 posts, read 163,413 times
I have only a passing familiarity with the triangle area, and because of that threads like this that inspire me to look up these neighborhoods on google maps are like gold. Places I might not have discovered otherwise.

I love these older homes on large that are oozing with character and potential. They remind me of the homes that are selling for $800k-1.5M in south cali before renovation.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
Meredith Woods is just OTB. It is not that great, but I could think of much worse areas to live. It changes dramatically just 1/2-1 mile up Lake Boone. I'd be very surprised if there is crime in that area that is comparable to Brentwood with maybe the exception of the older apartment communities near Rex.
I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't saying there was crime in that area, at all. The area is fine. I wasn't a huge fan of those homes when they were being built (Key Homes) and I'm more amazed that they have gone up in price as they have. Supply and demand have pushed up those prices.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:43 PM

201 posts, read 190,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't saying there was crime in that area, at all. The area is fine. I wasn't a huge fan of those homes when they were being built (Key Homes) and I'm more amazed that they have gone up in price as they have. Supply and demand have pushed up those prices.
I guess I did misunderstand you. I'm not a huge fan of the neighborhood myself, but I'm not amazed they've gone up in price. That is actually a really good location.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 PM

166 posts, read 163,413 times
future value = x^y where x is lot size and y is location.

cutesy mcmansions on postage stamps are doomed

Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Wasn't there a member of this forum that lived in Brentwood? It would be interesting to get an insiders take on the neighborhood now. Sometimes day to day life does not equal what one sees on the news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
We had loves_brentwood a while back who would defend the neighborhood any time someone denigrated it, but I haven't seen her for awhile.

I would always get attacked by her every time I posted my opinion on the area. Having lived there at one time I felt like I could post my opinion. Guess not when she didn't agree with it.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
I live right by Brentwood, and it has its ups and downs.

Some homes show loving care, others need renovation.

Convenient neighborhood that might appreciate, but not the way many transplanted yupsters would like. Diverse area.

Some of the worst issues from the apartments and rental homes on New Hope Church Rd have decreased because of the city's PROP regulations compelling landlords to take action with problem tenants.

Not Cary, but Cary's not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,054 times
Hello, in Brentwood now, mainly due to house amenities not otherwise affordable to us in Raleigh (established neighborhood, neighborhood association instead of HOA, brick exterior, original hardwoods, larger lot size, close to beltline, close to North Hills). We are concerned about crime in the area, but thinking back to when my family first moved to Raleigh and we lived in Cameron Park I am also thinking it is impossible to buy your way out of crime.

Cameron Park is (and was at the time) considered a highly desirable neighborhood, but while my family was there an elderly next-door neighbor was raped in the middle of the day, there were break-ins and car vandalism on our block, a peeping tom, an arsonist setting fire to the detached garages, and even someone stealing original gutters because they were copper. Crime happens all over Raleigh, and can be difficult to prevent in areas that are common cut throughs. From what we learned from neighbors, that area had also gone through a difficult period of too much rental housing in the 60's and 70's but they worked hard to try to get more single family owners back into the neighborhood. There are many truly beautiful houses there and the neighborhood association's hard work did pay off in the long run. Unfortunately it also priced some long-term, older residents out as the sales prices and property taxes rose.

In Brentwood there are still a fair number of original owners, and older residents who have been here just about as long. Rental houses seem to frequently be owned by people who actually live in the neighborhood. Since we are not trying to sell, I really can't complain about the house values because it means lower property taxes for us. I think this is probably true of many retired residents here too. Also, you could not rent even the worst apartment in Raleigh for our mortgage payment, since we bought post-2008 with really low interest. I am optimistc that the city's downtown improvements will start to work their way out from the core, god knows they've spent just about everything they possibly could on downtown at this point. And there is not necessarily any predicting where commercial development will crop up in Raleigh. Cameron Village looked like it was taking a downturn many times in the past, and I'm sure North Hills neighbors were sweating it when the old indoor, practically vacant mall also turned out to have a huge underground leak from the gas station out front. Now it's completely revitalized. Heck, when we first moved to Raleigh there was hardly anything in Cary, and it was pretty much considered the middle of nowhere before golf course communities sprouted up.

In short, real estate can be a bit unpredictable in Raleigh, and while crime rates do concern me I still probably spend more time stressing over my commute time. Hope that answers some of your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary