Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM

606 posts, read 903,779 times

Advertisements

I've been asked several times which church I go to. I've also been taken to lunch by friends and then given a come to Jesus speech. One of those friends did this twice. We are no longer friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 02:41 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraVega View Post
I guess I will be the detractor here and say that the level of religiosity in the area was something that bothered me (I just moved away... not for that reason though, it wasn't that bad, ha!). It wasn't that people were super pushy or judgmental. It was more so that many aspects of people's lives seemed to center on their church, and it was usually taken for granted that you were Christian too. For example, most local preschools are church-based, most parents had their kids in Christian activities, social lives revolved around people from church, etc. And then there were things such as hearing about a fitness group (or book club, or mom's group, or whatever)... and then the person finally mentioning that it's church-oriented. I didn't find most strangers to be obnoxious about it, but I also gotta say I'm not a fan of being told to "have a blessed day" by the clerks at the grocery store. There were also several times I went to the website of a local business and was surprised to see religious writings or Christian-based mission statements (had this happen with a swim school, consignment sale, and some sort of construction contractor); not that that is a deal-breaker, but seemed really weird to me.

All in all, it wasn't terrible as far as religion went, but it was a very different atmosphere than I grew up with and one that at times made me uncomfortable.
I moved here from Pennsylvania where I was routinely marketed by ICTHUS, etc.
People sell what works. For some it is nu-bile wimmen. For others, it is "religion."

Freedom of assembly covers a lot of stuff. If people want to pray before, during, and after they perspire, it's no sweat off my brow.
I have never ever been annoyed by being wished a blessed day. And, anyone who wants to pray for me is more than welcome.
Now, failing to turn on a short left arrow? I get my umbrage up when I am behind you.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:41 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
I guess I will be the detractor here and say that the level of religiosity in the area was something that bothered me (I just moved away... not for that reason though, it wasn't that bad, ha!). It wasn't that people were super pushy or judgmental. It was more so that many aspects of people's lives seemed to center on their church, and it was usually taken for granted that you were Christian too. For example, most local preschools are church-based, most parents had their kids in Christian activities, social lives revolved around people from church, etc. And then there were things such as hearing about a fitness group (or book club, or mom's group, or whatever)... and then the person finally mentioning that it's church-oriented. I didn't find most strangers to be obnoxious about it, but I also gotta say I'm not a fan of being told to "have a blessed day" by the clerks at the grocery store. There were also several times I went to the website of a local business and was surprised to see religious writings or Christian-based mission statements (had this happen with a swim school, consignment sale, and some sort of construction contractor); not that that is a deal-breaker, but seemed really weird to me.

All in all, it wasn't terrible as far as religion went, but it was a very different atmosphere than I grew up with and one that at times made me uncomfortable.
This is about the most accurate post in the thread.

Many of the others responding are probably at least mildly religious so they perceive the "push" a lot less. Overall, it would be better than say, rural areas or the Deep South but it is still very much part of the bible belt. If evangelicals bother you (and they bother me), than you probably won't feel comfortable.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 PM

360 posts, read 721,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
This is about the most accurate post in the thread.

Many of the others responding are probably at least mildly religious so they perceive the "push" a lot less. Overall, it would be better than say, rural areas or the Deep South but it is still very much part of the bible belt. If evangelicals bother you (and they bother me), than you probably won't feel comfortable.
Not religious here. For that matter, I don't subscribe to any religion.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Does innocuous religious observance bother you to the point you should seek counseling? Just curious, as it seems to be a common psychological affliction.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
I find it hard to believe in 11 years you were "never asked"...

Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 PM

360 posts, read 721,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I find it hard to believe in 11 years you were "never asked"...
Nope, never have. Most people I hang out with could care less about religion.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:16 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
But it's the South, and you'll see plenty of Keep Christ in Christmas magnets on the cars in December!
I'm also Jewish, though non-religious. And I agree wholeheartedly with the "Keep Christ in Christmas" magnets. Let's have more wonder about the birth of a messiah (if that's how you roll) and less greed and trampling fellow humans at Wal-Mart!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I'm also Jewish, though non-religious. And I agree wholeheartedly with the "Keep Christ in Christmas" magnets. Let's have more wonder about the birth of a messiah (if that's how you roll) and less greed and trampling fellow humans at Wal-Mart!
You had me up to "...less greed and trampling fellow humans at Wal-Mart!"
I have "godless Commie" on the very tip of my tongue.
Whoops! There it went!

(Disclaimer: I prefer trampling soccer moms at Target.)

Old 09-16-2015, 08:13 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,530 times
Quote:

Yes yes! This is what I was trying to get at with my post, but this person did a much better job of it! This pretty much sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary