Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times

Advertisements

I was curious if Turkey Hills gelato ingredient list would pass inspection. I based my opinion on taste alone. Well,pleasantly surprised that it's advertised as all natural and the ingredients back that up. For example:

Chocolate Peanut Butter: Milk, Cream,Sugar,Peanut butter

Flavors and ingredients: Gelato Flavors | Turkey Hill Dairy

Seems the only use of corn syrup is in the caramel and chocolate
Candy pieces mixed into the gelato. Not bad for prepackaged grocery store fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I was curious if Turkey Hills gelato ingredient list would pass inspection. I based my opinion on taste alone. Well,pleasantly surprised that it's advertised as all natural and the ingredients back that up. For example:

Chocolate Peanut Butter: Milk, Cream,Sugar,Peanut butter

Flavors and ingredients: Gelato Flavors | Turkey Hill Dairy

Seems the only use of corn syrup is in the caramel and chocolate
Candy pieces mixed into the gelato. Not bad for prepackaged grocery store fare.
Yes, Turkey Hill's All Natural Line is great! Having grown up in Pennsylvania, I was used to buying Turkey Hill Ice Cream. But when we first moved here, they didn't sell their All Natural Ice Cream line here. It is only in the past year that I started to find it in stores. I'll have to try their gelato - haven't tried that yet! Yum!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
I tried Turkey Hill last year and had been skeptical of it due to low pricing at Food Lion. It is by far my favorite ice cream, replacing Eddy's as my go-to brand!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:01 PM

I'm warning you guys. That TH gelato is creamy crack in a tub. I'm seriously embarrassed by how much I've gone on about it and the amount I've purchased this month alone. It's replaced milk and bread in my inclement weather necessities.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:02 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Don't know about the gelato, but TH ice cream was $2.99 all summer at Food Lion. Recently rose to $3.29 but still a great buy.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
I heard so much about BB from folks who had grown up with it. I don't think it lives up to the hype.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I heard so much about BB from folks who had grown up with it. I don't think it lives up to the hype.
Me too. With the price of it ,I expected more then just your garden variety store ice cream. It didn't have anything premium about it but the price. I've filed that one in the "sentimental, grew up eating therefore it's the best" food category.

Always thought Edys tasted like glue or paste. Never got its popularity and I've tried. The TH ice cream is cheaper then their gelato but it's density seems to make it go further and I try to stock up on it when it's on sale. Either way I've easily justified the $2 difference.

It kind of reminds me of packaged Goodberrys if I had to give an example. The texture is similar and it melts quicker due to it not being filled with stabilizers.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Me too. With the price of it ,I expected more then just your garden variety store ice cream. It didn't have anything premium about it but the price. I've filed that one in the "sentimental, grew up eating therefore it's the best" food category.
It could also be that the quality isn't as good as it was 20-30 years ago. Probably a combination of both.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
It could also be that the quality isn't as good as it was 20-30 years ago. Probably a combination of both.
That very well could be the case. Growing up we always had Breyers as the good ice cream. It wasn't till I didn't have any for several years then started buying again that I could tell something wasn't right. I couldn't put my finger on it but the texture seemed off and it wasn't creamy at all. I thought it was just me for awhile till my inner nerd took over and I googled "Why doesn't Breyers taste as good as it used too?". I got my answer and have only purchased the flavors legally able to be labeled ice cream since. I hate to say it but "frozen dairy dessert" sounds like something cheap and artificial. Seems like the more junk they started swirling into it the worse it got. If your packing it with brand name candy bars , something's gotta give to keep it competitive within the price range. For a long time customers were more interested in large amounts of stuff thrown in rather then a quality base product.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:08 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Umm, Talenti products also contain Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Dextrose (a processed sweetener not far removed from HFCS), Corn Syrup and Soy Lecithin.

Seriously, how can this be called Gelato? LOL
Not all of them have those ingredients. The handful I looked at do not. I don't care what brand is selling a product, I always read labels.

Still no artificial flavors, colors, or trans fats. I eat thickeners on occasion without ill effect, but it does cause digestive problems in some individuals. Same thing how MSG causes headaches (such as my wife), but it doesn't bother me. I wont eat it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary