Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,411 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was pulled over for doing 75 in a 55 on Hwy 64 near Pittsboro; since it is a highway, and I didn't see any speed signs, I assumed the speed limit was 70 and in keeping up with traffic, was doing 75. I am unfamiliar with highway 64 and do not travel it often. Anyways, I got pulled over by a state trooper and he ticketed me for speeding, doing 75 in a 55. Because of the speed, it is a mandatory court appearance, which is inconvenient but it's fine.

It wasn't until I got to where I was going and started talking to my family that I really started to get scared. The "passengers under 16" box is checked on the ticket (my 2 year old was in the car with me), and my sister told me that they will try to get me for child neglect and reckless driving, and they could take my daughter away from me and send me to jail. I have been torn up ever since yesterday at the thought that this could happen. I've been trying to do some research online to see what COULD happen, and can't find any straight answers. Nowhere on the ticket does it say reckless driving or child endangerment; just that I did 75 in a 55, and the checkbox with passengers under 16 is ticked.

Does anyone know what may happen? If this can be pled down to something less? Money is not an issue, my concern is being charged with child neglect and my daughter being taken away from me. Can that even happen? I am going to hire a lawyer as soon as the letters come in and I speak to a few to see what they think they can do, but until then I am going crazy and would love some information if anyone can provide it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:41 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Lawyers will be contacting you based on the report that is filed. Talk to one or two and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. They will get you a reduced ticket. I was once ticketed for 75 in a 55 (traveling by myself) and within 3 days I started receiving letters from lawyers offering to help. I paid a lawyer the fine listed on the ticket and he took care of everything, and I did not have to make a court appearance. What was 20 over the limit was reduced to improper equipment. You may have the same results, and yes, I understand the issue with the child in the car. They will help you through this.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Lawyers will be contacting you based on the report that is filed. Talk to one or two and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. They will get you a reduced ticket. I was once ticketed for 75 in a 55 (traveling by myself) and within 3 days I started receiving letters from lawyers offering to help. I paid a lawyer the fine listed on the ticket and he took care of everything, and I did not have to make a court appearance. What was 20 over the limit was reduced to improper equipment. You may have the same results, and yes, I understand the issue with the child in the car. They will help you through this.
I am hoping that whoever I hire can get those same type of results for me! I've had speeding tickets about 7 or 8 years ago that were worse than this one, and they were reduced down... I am just wondering if it will be different now since there was a child in the car with me, that is what I am really afraid of!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhardis View Post
I am hoping that whoever I hire can get those same type of results for me! I've had speeding tickets about 7 or 8 years ago that were worse than this one, and they were reduced down... I am just wondering if it will be different now since there was a child in the car with me, that is what I am really afraid of!
I'm inclined to think that the officer would have specifically mentioned endangerment and/or child protective services if it were viewed as that severe in their eyes. The passenger checkbox is implict, but were there any explicit comments on the ticket?

Old 10-19-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I'm inclined to think that the officer would have specifically mentioned endangerment and/or child protective services if it were viewed as that severe in their eyes. The passenger checkbox is implict, but were there any explicit comments on the ticket?
No explicit comments at all! There is no mention whatsoever of child endangerment or reckless driving. It only states that I was speeding 75 mph in the 55 mph zone. I am hoping that it is nothing, and that my sister is just trying to scare me - which is working.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 PM

650 posts, read 929,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhardis View Post
I suggest you get really familiar with your cruze control and use it. (Trying NOT to be sarcastic). It does help.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Get a lawyer you'll be OK. All the court wants to do is to extract as much money from you as is humanly possible.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,278 times
I got a ticket near Pittsboro several years ago. Yes, the 55/70 speed limit is confusing. Law enforcement knows this, and they are waiting for you. And, yes, your mailbox will be full of letters from attorneys.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I got a ticket near Pittsboro several years ago. Yes, the 55/70 speed limit is confusing. Law enforcement knows this, and they are waiting for you. And, yes, your mailbox will be full of letters from attorneys.
Is there a 70 mph speed limit near Pittsboro?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
your sister is an attorney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: